Why Don't We Do It In The Road-How many Beatles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Upsiditus, Jun 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teag

teag Forum Resident

I'll take it over the Manilow like syrup of I Will or Honey Pie.

2. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

I don't think it's the greatest track on the album or anything, but I do like it. The drums sound fantastic (sounds great cranked up) and I think it sounds like its all Paul. I didn't like it when I first heard it and my sentiments echoed many of those here who don't like it (they could do better, too raw, sounds like a bad demo, bar band, etc.). Somewhere along the line it became an essential part of Side 2 though and I never skip it. I like to think of it as showing a part of their humor, not unlike You Know My Name or Maggie Mae.

For the record my moms (RIP) comment was "It sounds like they want to go to the bathroom in the middle of the street".

3. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

'I Will' is one of my very favorite Paul songs, ever. Sweet, yes. Syrup, no.

4. Fleet Fox

Fleet Fox Forum Resident

How did this song get the nod over Georges much better 'Not Guilty'? no wonder he was disillusioned !

5. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

^^ This!

6. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Why Don't We Do It In The Road? was just Paul and me, and it went out as a Beatle track too. We had no problems with that.
    Ringo Starr
    Anthology

It wasn't a deliberate thing. John and George were tied up finishing something and me and Ringo were free, just hanging around, so I said to Ringo, 'Let's go and do this'...
    Paul McCartney

Interviews where Paul & Ringo note that they did it together.

maywitch, SixOClockBoos and Dinstun like this.
  7. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

I'm rather embarrassed that you started this thread.

daveidmarx, maywitch, tim185 and 5 others like this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Love this simple song, one of the first Beatles songs I caught onto. Hell of a thing to sing (scream) in the car.

maywitch likes this.
  9. Bit of a throwaway song. I think it's McCartney's weakest contribution to the album and the first of his songs I'd take off if I'd have to edit the White Album down to a single LP.

Mickey2 likes this.
  10. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

I still remember hearing that Get Back boot where Lennon shouts out "Why don't you put it on the toast?" Just that one line. My friend and I were rolling on the floor with laughter. So unexpected and hilarious.

Anyways, this song is alright. Not bad but not great. It was weird to hear The Beatles being so obviously "dirty" but it was done in such a silly way that it sort of blunted the effect. My parents were pretty prudish about song lyrics but oddly enough they didn't even flinch when this came on. There were songs by Styx and the J Geils band I had to fast-forward or otherwise try and prevent them from hearing, but somehow The Beatles could say anything without raising their concern. It works as decent filler on an album with a fair amount of throwaway songs and really adds to the wide mix of song styles they presented. I can see this being an only-Paul song but I forget if Lewisohn mentions Ringo being present. Not that Lewisohn is necessarily the gospel truth, though...

11. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Has anyone on here ever done it in the road? Maybe we could some better commentary from those in the know.

12. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

In his Playboy interview John is asked specifically about "Why Don't We Do It In the Road"

John answers:

"That's Paul. He even recorded it by himself in another room. We came in and he'd made the whole record.Him drumming. Him playing the piano.Him singing . But he couldn't -he couldn't- maybe he couldn't make the break from the Beatles. I don't know what it was, you know. I enjoyed the track.
    Still, I can't speak for George, but I was always hurt when Paul would knock something off without involving us. But that's just the way it was then."

So, there's your legitimate source.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

"I Will" shows the influence of the Everly Brothers and has a nice melody. "Honey Pie" once again shows Paul's music hall roots with classy chord progressions, a nicely adlibbed jazz guitar bit by Lennon, and even a witty nod to Tiny Tim. I can't hear any similarities to Manilow (who didn't hit the scene until a few years later) in either song. As for those who think the Beatles should have stuck to basic rock'n'roll and stayed away from mellow songs, intricate melodies, and stylistic variety, the band they're looking for is AC/DC. (Even the Stones and Led Zeppelin occasionally deviated from their nitty-gritty signature sound into folk and Baroque textures.)

14. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

So John Said it was all Paul, and Paul and Ringo both say Ringo played drums on it. All of their memories have been a bit foggy over the years. In an Anthology interview, Ringo couldn't remember which Harrison songs were on Revolver, and which Beatle was it who once implied that Revolver came before Rubber Soul? It was either John or George (My memory's a bit foggy on that one).

15. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

John wasn't there though, he was just guessing.

16. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The opening snare roll sounds extremely Ringo to me.

17. Glenn Christense

Well, as Ron(Brainwashed) pointed out earlier, the song got worked on over two days.

Maybe Paul put down drums the first day or John thought Paul put down drums and the next day Ringo replaced Paul's drumming, or maybe all John remembers is coming in and he and George not getting to work on it. Period.:D

But as you mention, they were all pretty confused about what when on from time to time . :D

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Folknik likes this.
  18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

The Anthology take is similar from the first day, just Paul & Guitar, Paul overdubbed a piano on the 1st day. I think most everything else was the 2nd day. Ringo besides drums also helps with the handclaps.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  19. Glenn Christense

I just listened to the Anthology version again because I couldn't remember it. :D

Yeah, after hearing the guitar, no drums version I edited my post above .

Chuckee likes this.
  20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Ironic that Kim Fowley said John described this song as attempting to do Norman Greenbaum but add humor to the mix, as the song is so painfully unfunny!

Upsiditus likes this.
  21. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

22. l-l-d

l-l-d Forum Resident

risqué lyrics.....

"Four of fish and finger pie" is very direct, I'd say.
    "it" can mean anything, but most likely in this case only one thing. ;)

23. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

I think it's a poor song

Upsiditus likes this.
  24. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

There are two drum tracks on Lady Madonna. A swing beat on the left (stereo) channel and a funky beat on the right.

MitchLT and Chance like this.
  25. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Love that little bass run Paul does about half way through, plus a magnificent vocal.

maywitch, supermd and ParloFax like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.