Why DVDs are better than Bluray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I still see them in charity shops, on a regular basis, and they appear to sell, so there’s either an underground collector scene for them or confused people are buying them thinking the discs will play on their SD DVD players.

Shawn and Claude like this.
  2. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Anyone notice that he's got 2 identical VHS copies of each of the original Star Wars movies on the shelf? :p

3. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Menus over resolution

Laservampire and Bingo Bongo like this.
  4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

As we don't have a HUGE TV, DVDs are fine and dirt cheap (however I buy very little, and mainly concert footage - and I have everything I need now). I also couldn't give toss about super sharp image quality, in fact I prefer the softer film texture to movies, series or whatever. Even when I watch a broadcast movie, I select "Cinema" picture quality (otherwise the movie looks like dry video rushes without filmic atmosphere).

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

:-popcorn:

I have not bought a DVD in a long time unless it's a title I cannot get on Blu-ray or on VUDU. One of the reasons my dad always liked DVDs is that when he would travel, DVDs can be played on his laptop's CD/DVD drive with free software programs like VLC or MPC-HC. A Blu-ray cannot due to the encryption used. I think DVDs on an upscaling player still look plenty watchable too.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

My plasma /blu ray player both Panasonic’s upscale DVDs brilliantly.. I don’t see much (if any difference with DVDs & BD. Maybe if i had a 8K tv perhaps.

unclefred likes this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I could care less about the packaging or the menus- just the movie. I throw out the packaging and store my disks in cases or I wouldn't have room for anything else in my house.

8. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I don't get the concept of paying money to own something in a lower resolution than what you get if you were to watch the same thing on regular television for "free."

9. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Well maybe YOU don't.................fair enough...:)

I reckon you would easily HEAR a difference though!!!!!!!....:agree:
    Provided you have the capability to decode the clearly superior lossless audio that BD offers over DVD.

10. alexpop

Too much hassle/ expensive.

Dvd does the job. I’ll spend a bit more for fancy packaging blu ray steelbook every now and then.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  11. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Not to mention sound quality. The lossless audio formats delivered by BD are dramatically better than DD. And since the audio is as much tied into the impact of movies as the video, this cannot be overlooked. Dolby Atmos is another step up.

12. I've never been able to figure out the European fascination with steel books - I tend to want less packaging, let alone one that weighs more!

13. GregM

GregM The expanding man

I felt that way too until I adopted 4K. A lot of my Blu-ray cases were beat up by that time and I started buying lots of 4K steelbooks as a way to differentiate the ultra-HD, and I hoped that they'd wear better over time. Plus, some of the cases, like Ratatouille, have much more attractive artwork and can be bought for even less than the regular case, e.g., Alien 4K steelbook and first three Toy Story 4K steelbooks are only $14.99 each at Best Buy.

Shawn likes this.
  14. alexpop

Europeans like cool stuff, aesthetics dear boy. :)

15. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

He actually turned his basement into a quasi-video store a few years ago. I think it's pretty neat.

chilinvilin, Jrr, Gaslight and 5 others like this.
  16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

From what I understand, he might've constructed a set for continuity with old videos for the video store and 'nerd room' since he presumably moved his family out of the old house a few years ago.

supermd and DiabloG like this.
  17. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Correct, or at least they should!

18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Yeah, blu ray so sucessful I got Hail Cesar brand new dvd bluray combo for $2.00 dollars.
    So I see this format dying faster than dvd and yes dvd picture is same in newer movies.
    Your paying for all sparkle a dazzle that blu ray is suppose to offer.
    That use to be on dvd.

19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I'm a Netflix guy. I don't give a rats a$$ about VHS/DVD/Blu ray/4K.

It's aaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll online if you want to find it.

But, I'm sure I'll buy the new Beatles "Let It Be" Blu ray.....

20. DVD's are great for my kids to watch in the van.

Jimmy B. and Linger63 like this.
  21. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I was stoked to find Japanese DVD copies of the original, unaltered Star Wars trilogy at the old used bookstore job I had (we also sold CD's, movies, records and tons of other junk).

Haven't watched them in ages, but I'm pretty sure they have Japanese subtitles through the whole thing that you can't turn off. I did recently dig them out of storage to rewatch them.

22. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

No love for VHS and LaserDisc's?

DigMyGroove likes this.
  23. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Steel books are useless indeed. But such an easy way to milk an additional $5 from collectors.

I think many people on this forum would buy CDs in steelbooks if the option was available :)

But even sillier packaging were CD long boxes, an american thing (and made for different reasons):

CD long boxes: love 'em? hate 'em? memories?

[​IMG]

Shawn and alexpop like this.
  24. alexpop

Cigar box I called them. Had a couple of LB’s Smiths louder than bombs.. Todd -Hermit, liked them myself.

25. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I almost think it was the record companies throwing a bone to CD buyers who weren't getting big record jacket art with a CD purchase.

I had the long boxes for both the Sgt Pepper and Aladdin Sane CD's which used to hang on my wall. Wonder what happened to those.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.