Why DVDs are better than Bluray.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Spaghettiows, Feb 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not simpler, but surely just as simple. Put a disc in, press play. How is that different on BluRay than DVD?

RolandG, Linger63 and Shawn like this.
  2. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

BluRay is the first format where it actually feels like I'm looking at a real film on my TV. Betamax/VHS, LaserDisc, DVD all had their own specific visual elements that made them look unnatural. I was constantly reminded that I was watching a copy of something. Even the film grain always looked off. Still haven't moved up to 4K, though.

Kristofa and Nice Marmot like this.
  3. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

I agree. There isn’t much difference. Setting up your tv to your eye viewing pleasure is way harder.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

We careful people are a minority. I occasionally have to borrow a DVD from the library, and oh, the horror many of them have been through.

Nice Marmot likes this.
  5. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

All you kids with your hip hoppin', MP3s, and 4K! I grew up on snowy rolling B&W TV. We lived under the airport landing approach. I'm over 60 and my eyes ain't getting sharper. I will NEVER be motivated to "upgrade" to BR for 90 percent of my library and that's a lot. And no studio can ever shut me off.
    My son is going all streaming. I think he is foolish. I fully expect to hear "Dad, have you got a copy of.........? Nobody is streaming it."

John B Good likes this.
  6. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

Oh yeah, rentals and library dvds can be a mess. I’ve gotten some where food (or whatever the hell it is/I hope it was food) has to be cleaned off.

I’ve bought a lot of used cds that are worser looking for wear than any of my store bought cds but they play fine.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

:doh::laugh:

8. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I was hoping the dude in the video covered the aspect ratio issues with DVD's needing special settings to fix in the BluRay player that I don't have to apply with Blu Ray discs demonstrated in the linked SHF thread below that include screengrabs.

TV shows with 2.00 aspect ratio

9. Tim Lookingbill

Can someone here confirm if it's true about having to update system software to renew the encryption key?

I have a lot of BD's and bought a used 2009 Sony BD player and I've never gotten this notice as shown in the video. It's the first I've heard of this BD requirement.

10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

gotcha, but HD BD helps aging eyes see the movie clearer than DVD...

11. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

You don't need "Special settings" dude, DVD only has 2 aspect ratios 4:3 and 16:9. I Don't have the same Blu-ray player and TV as you but I've got the TV on "Just Scan", I'm not sure what that's called on Samsung TVs but if it's a 1080p TV it'll probably have something that does the same thing. I've decided to put the Blu-ray player to normal, my photos demonstrate what that does. Normal will show 4:3 content in pillar box as it should and Full will stretch it out.

[​IMG]

As for updating your player for encryption? It was more of a thing in the early days of the format. I remember having to update my first BD Player to play the newer movies but I think with UHD out they don't bother with that anymore. I certainly haven't run into it since I got my current player.

budwhite likes this.
  12. Michael

Nice Marmot said:
    I find the higher definition from Blu-ray annoying

apparently you are joking LOL...

Nice Marmot likes this.
  13. Michael

also we have to set the TV picture as well I keep mine on Native...

CraigBic likes this.
  14. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Also how big your screen is is a factor. My TV is smaller

Michael likes this.
  15. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I agree with with some of James' points, though I've never encountered the update issue he spoke of. Maybe it's more common on the PS3? It's really refreshing to see a (non-AVGN) solo video from him again, though I admittedly haven't watched much on Cinemassacre since Rental Reviews started. A lot of behind the scenes stuff just made me slowly lose interest in the channel (long story there).

16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Don’t need glasses to watch tv. Even if I did require specs... that would mean $ for glasses +$$$$$$$$$ for 8K tv.

17. alexpop

Once you’ve had a big one you can’t go back to small.

18. alexpop

My three Sony bd players always says “bye” before they shut off, very courteous. :)

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  19. Michael

but his video is in High Def...LOL.

20. Michael

yes, that's true...I have a large screen...my wife loves the size.

21. Tim Lookingbill

Your BluRay setting menu list is exactly like mine, mine being a Sony BDP BX2. My Samsung does not have Normal/Full settings. I've posted what those are in that link. And your BD player menu uses Normal vs Full where mine says Original vs Fixed Aspect Ratio.

And I do have to have special settings or "Different" from more modern movies issued on DVD companion discs that come with modern BluRays of movies like Mad Max Fury Road due to the way DVD's of older movies from other companies are transferred. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of shooting all these shots in that link I posted if I didn't think there was something seriously wrong with the way some companies transfer their movies to the DVD format.

I've got '60's movies transferred to DVD where I don't have these issues with having to change both my BD player menu settings AND my HDtv settings, DUDE!

My main point is I don't have this much trouble with Blu Rays as I do with some DVD's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Hope you're still talking about televisions there, oo-er missus...;)

23. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It isn’t. Actually he is way toned down in that clip but he’s all about making hilarious videos mocking the negatives of whatever he is reviewing. Usually very funny.

BeatleJWOL and John B Good like this.
  24. Tim Lookingbill

Who are you replying to? It would help if you quoted the person you're replying to because no one knows what you're talking about.

25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I found it funny, and on the mark. I'll have to look up some of his other videos.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.