Why Frasier wasn't influential like Seinfeld and Friends?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by FaithMonkey, Dec 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FaithMonkey

FaithMonkey Forum Resident Thread Starter

I thought the show was really great I think it's right there on 90s top sitcom. But how come it didn't have an influence like Friends and Seinfeld?

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

What influence are you talking about and why would it matter?

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Because no Newman

4. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I love Daphne. Got nothing else......:shrug:

5. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am a HUGE Frasier fan and I am frankly a bit surprised at how popular it was. I always loved it for the Crane brothers and how snooty they were, it's a very psychiatrist thing that we like to joke about but I didn't think non-medical people would relate. Really the only thing they were missing is beards to round out the stereotype but from what David Cross has said apparently facial hair doesn't test well with tv audiences.

Given all that it's not surprising to me that there isn't anything else like it.

It's Always Sunny is like the modern day Seinfeld and Friends has a formula copied many times (I'm sure this style pre-dated Friends). I think that is what the OP means?

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

How exactly was Friends influential?

7. Jerrika

Jerrika Mysterious Ways

It was a spinoff. Most spinoffs are never as successful as the original show. You get sick of certain characters when they wear out their welcome. Frasier Crane was a bit tiresome after the first 3 seasons. Niles wasn't much better. His relationship with Daphne was as plausible as the earth being flat. The average viewer doesn't relate to psychiatrists with multiple college degrees. They relate to people like Roseanne and Al Bundy.

8. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

It's probably the fact that it was a spin-off from Cheers.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  9. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The show ran for 11 seasons, I'd say the average viewer enjoyed it.

10. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Nobody relates to Basil Fawlty, but it doesn't mean the show isn't funny.

11. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Yes, I would say it was pretty successful. It's shown continuously here in the UK.

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

None of these shows were influential.

Scott222C and Strat-Mangler like this.
  13. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Frasier and Seinfeld were brilliantly written sitcoms. Friends lost their hot script jockeys very early on in the game.
    But the Friends cast had very broad sex appeal...unlike those other, better-witten shows.

14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I never got Friends popularity, and Frazier was much better IMO. It might be, with Friends, massive percentages of people of that age tuned in religiously and felt more impacted and made more noise about it. Seinfeld is bigger than both, as it should be. Frazier is on a slightly lower tier than Seinfeld in terms of enjoying the characters and the degree and type of humor, but Frazier is still quite good.

15. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

There needed to be more episodes centered around Eddie.

16. Jack Lord

Jack Lord Forum Resident

Friends and Seinfeld both depicted New York as a normal and fun place for young people to live. Both were quite funny and acknowledged the eccentric nature of the place without making it fearful. Both were elements in the mid 90s Renaissance of New York which continues to this day.

The funny thing about Fraser was that Seattle was known for Rock & Roll. Yet Frasier's world was one more suited for Beacon Hill, Georgetown, or the Upper East Side.

17. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Frasier didn't really have the type of scripts that created catchphrases or anything, so that's at least one reason.

Carrman, Jack Lord and Matthew Tate like this.
  18. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

What if ' Frasier ' had never been and a spin-off was made called.... ' Norm ! '

Shoes1916 and Rooster_Ties like this.
  19. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Because it was a show about something.

Shoes1916, Murph, beat_truck and 4 others like this.
  20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

seinfeld spawned some more comic based shows...and pretty influential on culture...they still sell festivus poles every xmas! yada yada yada (-: and friends as well, anyone remember the Rachel haircut....Frasier not in the same way.....it wasn't a water cooler type show (still big, like king of queens a show that ran forever)

21. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

It's huge right now. I actually see young women wearing FRIENDS tees and sweats, almost thrity years after the show originally aired.

22. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

It was too boring.

JediJones likes this.
  23. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I still scratch my head at the plethora of men that think Jennifer Aniston is hot. Must have been some kinda voodoo coming through the screen that good taste made some immune to.

24. Dream On

Dream On Forum Resident

She is undoubtedly hot. I don't really know what to say, but when 90% of the straight male population thinks she is then I'd say the other 10% have their own unique set of tastes. Whatever she has has pretty much universal appeal. I'm sure even most females would admit she is hot.

And the crazy thing is that she is still super hot at 50 or whatever age she is now. No one has aged so well.

25. Jennifer Aniston’s hair.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.