Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Wrong. Get the facts straight.

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Revolver mixed without a Fairchild; makes you want to puke crimson and clover, don't it?

3. teag

teag Forum Resident

Correct - I see that now.

Uncle Miles likes this.
  4. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I recall earlier this year that Peter Jackson reported that his team was able to separate dialogue from guitar noodling from a mono tape.
    If the technology for Giles to do what he envisions doesn't exist, it will soon. Something to look forward to - and so, in the meantime, after Get Back/ Let it Be we will have a completely unpredictable Beatles project. I'm fine with Rubber Soul / Revolver being on the back burner because it means 2022 will deliver something unexpected. Works for me.

5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

…the most famous four track album ever. I remember an ad that first came out in the seventies touting TEAC’s four track reel to reel…it said, to paraphrase, that you could create your own Sgt. Pepper. Of course they didn’t mention you needed an external mixing board to make it sound half way decent (even though you could do internal bouncing through the machine itself).

6. teag

teag Forum Resident

I was wrong on the tracks - it is 4.

I was right on Giles. Hired because of his father when we have people like Hoffman, Gray, Grundman and Bell available.

Man at C&A likes this.
  7. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Revolver fans thank him. :laugh:

boggs likes this.
  8. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

wow, that freaking sucks. What a stupid damn shame.

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

it's not a matter of being an expert...when the work one does SUCKS and one knows the music that was screwed with inside and out they are entitled to their opinion on what qualifies as poor workmanship on their beloved music...you don't need to be qualified to know when a remix sucks...royally. It's like they have no idea what the music was all about to begin with...next time call us out instead of making a general insult...

10. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Except this is the same person that says he wants to redo the Sgt. Pepper remix. I respect him and appreciate his work continuing his father's legacy but this is disappointing.

Keith V likes this.
  11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I just am seeing subjective opinions here based on cranky Beatles fans, nothing that proves to me that what his remixes are, are shoddy workmanship

12. Michael

fair enough...you have an opinion and so do I and never the twain shall meet. : ) and I am not Cranky! ; )

13. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Why not do what you can with the 4-track tapes? 3,2,1 of Michelle shows us how good the multis sound. Why de-mix? This is from the guy who used the back channels of Pepper remix mostly for ambiance anyway!

lobo and forthlin like this.
  14. Michael

EXACTLY and we can add Steven Wilson!

JulesRules, FritzL and teag like this.
  15. Michael

dude? geez...: )

ewe2, polchik and Man at C&A like this.
  16. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

I'm glad he's hand off on these albums.......His Let it be butchering will be the 1st I own, due to being on film

17. hefeman

hefeman Forum Resident

Using some digital voodoo to create a new mix of these records seems contradictory to the common desire for AAA. I suppose you could use AI to sample the entire Beatles catalog and create all new Beatles songs. Tour the album with holograms. Welcome to the machine.

18. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

In addition to a mixer, one would need 2 four-track reel to reels synched together to get to pepperland.

So in a sense, yes, Sgt. Peppers was recorded on four track, it’s just that there were 2 of them. :)

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
  19. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

It's the difference between doing vocal tracks with a speaker in the studio and vocals with the backing in the cans.

AFOS and DK Pete like this.
  20. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

I think the original mono and stereo mixes of Rubber Soul are sufficient enough, though I do like the YSS remix of "Nowhere Man" and the Anthology DVD remix of "In My Life". It could be remixed in the analog domain with the vocals centered, like the stereo mixes of the previous three albums.

Revolver, on the other hand....I think a well-executed remix would be nice. We've heard what can be done ("Yellow Submarine" and "Love You To" on YSS, "For No One" on the Anthology DVD).

21. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

I could be wrong but...

I believe it was done, to use two examples, with Pet Sounds and Sgt. Pepper.

The prebounce reels had either been copied or preserved.

It is my understanding that, in the case of the Beach Boys, 7 tracks of vocals had been bounced down to a single mono vocal track to create space to record music. Somehow the individual vocal tracks were recovered.

Obviously one can't 'unmix' a 1/4-inch master reel or a 'bounced down' multitrack, but a remix can be done from original source tapes; e.g. the string sessions for Sgt. Pepper.

BeauZooka likes this.
  22. TheHutt

TheHutt Forum Resident

Good idea. Though... they're already broad!
    What now?

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Some albums are not meant to be remixed.

24. The great thing about the Beatles is that whatever format you've heard them in (and personally I prefer all of the original versions sanctioned by the band itself when it was an active and ongoing entity) the songs, performances, musicianship, and spirit will always triumph above all.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

It is fine if you prefer stereo, but your statement suggests you haven't even heard a good surround mix to be honest

JDeanB and boggs like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.