Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

What I've found is that people are getting rid of their '87s of most of the albums. You rarely see '09s of any album. Sgt Pepper is no more prevalent than any other.

905 and bhazen like this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The original stereo mix has been taken out of print entirely for a few years now in the UK on vinyl and CD, since the Giles remix. The same with the White Album and Abbey Road. They aren't available on Amazon or HMV and any copies for sale elsewhere are used or new old stock.

Keith V likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Then I need to apologize to all those I've scoffed at here, who've been concerned that the remixes would replace the originals.

Mea culpa, bigtime.

Then again, I wonder if they'll do a special 60th Anniversary or 70th Anniversary of "original mixes, freshly remastered from the original hi-res files" or something. In other words, a demand/marketing move.

This is huge, in my book. :mad:

Michael Macrone likes this.
  4. Karl Denver

Karl Denver You’ll get nothing and like it!

My guess would be they are priming the pump for AAA vinyl stereo set. Apple is paying attention about how the mono box sold out and how sought after they are. I think it makes sense especially since they seem to be catering even more to the vinyl crowd than they seem to before. They know people will go nuts for that. They can even go a step further and offer high Rez versions on a BluRay of the original mixes. They can throw in some more outtakes and boom! You have another box series once they complete this one!

Uncle Miles and bhazen like this.
  5. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

My suspicion too!

Karl Denver likes this.
  6. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

Might of been said, Just do the entire catalogue in stereo, where applicable, do it like the tube based analog lps from 2014 and release all on new lp, cd, bluray(sacd-yeah right) thats it, done.

I have most of the Stones sacds from 2002 and they are great. Why couldn't the Beatles do the same simple thing. Jeez, John M.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  7. Choba b CCCP

Choba b CCCP Forum Resident

Do you mean, NO releases after that? Period? :yikes:

mjfan1987 likes this.
  8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Looks more like a case of them limiting the physical media to the remixes because they're newer versions that are easier to hype. The original mixes are still available on streaming (and, in the case of the iTunes Store, download).

Billy Infinity likes this.
  9. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

They can do an all analog stereo set, release it in the same packaging as the previous box set if they want, same book and all and then, to really lure in those fans who might not care about different masterings and think why would I need to buy it again, they can throw in an exclusive 7inch of Carnival if Light. Because at this point why not.

But is there any thing realistically stopping Apple from doing an all analog stereo set? I thought I read that it wasn’t likely to happen due to some tech related issue but not sure. It’s clearly as much of a wish list item as most of the unreleased stuff.

Karl Denver likes this.
  10. mjfan1987

mjfan1987 Forum Resident

We don't even need a remix. Mono originals are awesome. Not into any of these 50th rerelease remixes, only care about bonus tracks.

GetRhythm likes this.
  11. mjfan1987

mjfan1987 Forum Resident

Love the mono LP box, so glad to have a copy of it. I always assumed the stereo analogue releases would come next after all the complaints of the digitally sourced LPs.

apesfan likes this.
  12. apesfan

apesfan "Going Ape"

I like the remix boxsets and own them.
    Keep doing them, fine by me.

I would wish for the sonics, in most cases, of the original parlaphone British releases from the 1960's in stereo with the exception MMT horzo version because of its sonics on Cd- bluray audio.

Like I said what the Stones did in 2002 was perfect to me.

bhazen likes this.
  13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Hopefully better. The original stereo LPs were not always the best regarding distortion and stereo separation.

14. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I enjoy Giles' remixes, but I wish they were a bit more analogue sounding, they do tend to sound a bit 'digital' and they tend to have the bass jacked up a bit.

yasujiro and Contact Lost like this.
  15. levimax

levimax Forum Resident

Old stereo sounds like old stereo, it adds historical and artistic context to the music. Why does everything have to sound the same?

CDFanatic likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dunno if we "need" remixes, but I personally am super glad they exist. They have been a great joy for me to listen to

ronbow, Floater and A Local Bloke like this.
  17. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

I’m glad he won’t be remixing them. I love the original mixes especially the hard panning on the vocals on Rubber Soul which I especially enjoy on headphones. His remixes are overly loud and don’t offer anything particularly revelatory about the songs.

lukpac likes this.
  18. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

Whoa! Giles finally did it!!

Penny24 likes this.
  19. HotelYorba101

He may still remix them, but just not in the very soon future by the sounds of it. That being said, I really enjoy his remixes especially after hearing the BluRay masterings of the last couple especially, that offer greater dynamic range than the CD counterparts

20. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

21. HotelYorba101

His work on Let It Be is wonderful, so far every mix he has done has been a winner IMO. Why replace great work?

22. Penny24

Penny24 Forum Resident

underrated post :laugh:

soniclovenoize likes this.
  23. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

I grew up with the original mixes of RS and Revolver. New mixes might sound better but would always be missing something.

joy stinson and Rorsontherun like this.
  24. HotelYorba101

It is hard to shake the familiarity of the legendary originals, for sure. For me these remixes always have been more like of a fun addition rather than anything to replace or better

Man at C&A, Big Pasi, RAJ717 and 6 others like this.
  25. RAJ717

RAJ717 Forum Resident

That's exactly how I view the remixes beginning with the Yellow Submarine Songtrack. Great additions but not replacements.

AppleCorp3 and Floater like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.