Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kent Gray

Kent Gray Resident

I am happy with Giles' mixes so far, but I think it is mostly the compression that stands out for me.

Giles' mixes work in my car, where compression helps elevate everything above the street noise. At home, the original mixes are best (by comparison). I can always compress Rubber Soul and Revolver on my own for listening in my car. And if there is something in the mix I want to hear more clearly, there is new and improved DES.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  2. stanleynohj

stanleynohj Forum Resident

Makes sense.

I have to admit that when I looked for Mona Lisa re-dos, I found it entertaining to see what people have done...and to be honest, the original doesn't thrill me all that much.

[​IMG][​IMG]

3. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes.

The delta mono master is a quite complicated edit of undubbed and overdubbed takes.

The stereo twin-track tape is simpler and is probably just the overdubbed take(s).

supermd, Nobby and Magnus A. like this.
  4. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

“The” version for me would be the one I like the best. The early Beatle mixes were of their time. They are great, that’s what I grew up with. But after hearing the White album and Let It Be remixes, those are now my go to because that is what I prefer and will now be “the” mix for me. I for one am anxious to see what they can do with Revolver and especially Rubber Soul.

5. Floatupstream

To be clear, the technology was either not there are wasn’t deemed important enough to have the bass and drums farther forward in the mix. That was one thing I always found wanting in the early recordings. Heck, I don’t really recall hearing the bass on my transistor radio until Rain/Paperback Writer came out.

Ephi82 likes this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Yeah I can relate, Let It Be especially I absolutely love this remix and it will be my listening go-to. I think that all-in-all the originals to me will always forever have the historical value and will always be special however I will have listening preferences that extend beyond just them

davenav and Floatupstream like this.
  7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I've been enjoying the original mixes of all the Beatles albums since day one...I don't need to hear a remix to make them better or different...no point.
    that's said...what's next?

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

yes! the disgusting ones are so much better!!!

9. ggoldenage

ggoldenage Forum Resident

I have never felt the drums/bass were too loud on the remixed White Album. In fact I'd say that the remixed White Album and Let It Be have been Giles best work and were needed much more than a remixed Sgt. Pepper was.
    White Album suffers from a ton of discrepancies between the mono and stereo mix. Additionally the mono ends up with quite a bit of natural distortion from there being so much coming through the speakers at once. The remix helps balance between the two versions. Yes, they're two different versions, not mixes as there are many overdubs and tempo changes between the two.

Let It Be was needed because Spector's original mix is quite frankly awful. This is nothing against the Spector style, which I love, but just the fact that it is not mixed well. It is extremely unbalanced, at times it is even ear-piercing. Just a complete abomination. He was obviously not in his right mind at all (even by Spector standards) when working on this one, and several accounts of the mixing process help demonstrate that.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I'm not a fan of some of his production decisions, but how does any of that describe tracks like Two Of Us, Dig A Pony, I've Got A Feeling, etc?

11. ggoldenage

ggoldenage Forum Resident

It doesn't fully, but there is no doubt to my ears that the remix improves their listenability considerably while still preserving the work Spector did.

I've Got a Feeling and Dig a Pony are definitely not mixed particularly well, especially the vocals. The guitars on Two of Us were also a total wash originally.

Floatupstream likes this.
  12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I don't like any of the remixes compared to the original mixes, but with DES as good as it is, they could surely remix if they really wanted to.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I definitely have to disagree.

14. HotelYorba101

I totally agree. The remix really lets the vocals and guitars shine on those particular tracks

Floatupstream likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Not sure what you mean by a total wash but I find the acoustic guitars on Two of Us have a better defined crispness lacking on the original mix.

jricc, Floatupstream and Ephi82 like this.
  16. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

You know only on this forum do you get whining about the surviving Beatles enjoyment of re-mixes of the music they made. Surreal.

17. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

Curious, Love to hear of the “mixing accounts” you reference?

18. HotelYorba101

I sort of realized I gotta make my peace with a certain aspect of Beatlee fandom lol. When you have this many comparisons of an additive experience that remixing is, to "repainting the Mona Lisa", people saying intentional mixing choices are objective "mistakes", and people complaining that the 2 hour documentary they originally were gonna get is 8 hours long but has no "bonus content" on the Bluray, there is a certain amount of realizing that Beatles fans are a special breed and to distance yourself accordingly lol

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I have to agree that this is kind of funny.:D

a customer, bhazen, ARK and 2 others like this.
  20. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

Geoff Emerick on "She's Leaving Home":

"There were still two available tracks on the multitrack tape, but Paul felt strongly that he wanted certain lines double-tracked, and he also wanted the strings to remain in stereo. The only solution was to have them sing their vocals at the same time, recording each pass on a single track.”

I honestly can't believe that the Beatles only cared about the mono mix, basically not caring about the stereo product they put out.

The only limitation of the original stereo mixes was the technology (and maybe a little short-sightedness on the Rubber Soul stereo mix). Certainly not the group or George Martin.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. stanleynohj

To be clear, I was just making a joke about Paul and Ringo re-doing their parts.

Regarding the early tracks balance and mix, I think it lends them a different kind of energy, a fantastic drive and swing...guitars, hihats, vocals, wooh!!!!...a sort of solid chunk of Beatlemania as opposed to the feel of the recording clarity of ensuing years.

But starting in the mid years, the drums and bass became the focus...Taxman, Sgt. Pepper's, etc...those didn't suffer.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Floatupstream and Ephi82 like this.
  22. stanleynohj

To be clear, I ain't whining...it was a joke. Surely Beatle fans understand humor...don't they?

Ephi82 and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Weirwolfe

Weirwolfe Forum Resident

Steve Wilson. Great idea.

schnulli likes this.
  24. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Just be thankful he hasn't done it so far. Hopefully he never does.
    The beatles albums dont need remixing etc. Ono and Paul are rich enough.
    The originals are all that anyone needs. They sound sublime. They are sublime.
    I am almost certain that if John and George were still here that none of the Giles Martin cash-ins would have ever happened.
    Remixing albums is like listening to a cover band. Its not the real thing.

25. Floatupstream

I get what your saying and somewhat agree. Nothing can replace the original madcap of Beatlemania and those initial years of discovering this great, new music. This comes with a price though of having the music sound dated. Kind of like them playing through the ballpark loudspeakers at Shea. Technology has advanced to get a better ( ok, different ) sound now and I for one would love to hear what Giles or someone else can do, not to mention getting a more balanced pan on the stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.