Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Like listening to a cover band? Hmm that take is um.. er...interesting.

JulesRules and Lewisboogie like this.
  2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Objective mistakes are objective mistakes.

And yeah, people are upset when they’ve wanted a complete rooftop performance for years and it’s still not released. Funny that.

You may be correct, but I’d take anything in that book with a grain of salt.

JulesRules, supermd, Onder and 4 others like this.
  3. Sgt. Abbey Road

Sgt. Abbey Road Forum Resident

I completely agree on Let It Be with you! I never liked the album much although I loved Phil Spector‘s arrangements. When I listened to the 2021 remix for the first time I realized how bad the original one is. Today I can appreciate the album way more because it sounds much better:agree:

4. CriticalMaasCollectibles

CriticalMaasCollectibles Singularity Watcher

Guess which one is/was Pete Burns of Dead Or Alive?

5. GarySteel

GarySteel Bastard of old

Good thing most of these self-proclaimed experts and other assorted old timers aren't condescending, at least. That would really be something :)

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  6. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I for one am looking forward to these. I was thinking about a remixed Rubber Soul this morning, and dug out YSS. While I appreciate the mixing approaches used here, it really felt quite lifeless, and left me disinterested. I will certainly say that Giles and Sam's mixed don't give me that impression. In fact, I've dug out my White Album Bluray to combat this!

7. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Unless if they aren't and are just things people subjectively wish were not done in the remixes :)

Lewisboogie likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Except they are.

Onder likes this.
  9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, not in my opinion. I already gave you an example of something that was objectively a mistake. It's not the only one.

10. HotelYorba101

And I don't see anything there that is objectively a mistake, but something someone could subjectively think was executed not in the way they wanted

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It was a mistake. Period.

Onder and Gila like this.
  12. HotelYorba101

Agree to disagree :)

13. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

I literally told him "Sup brah. You better step away from Revolver and Rubber Soul or sh!ts gonna get real."

And Giles was all like "Damn dude, I don't want any trouble..." That's what really happened.

14. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Except no. Those involved said it was a mistake. Just because you don't want it to be a mistake doesn't mean it wasn't.

supermd, Tommyboy, Onder and 2 others like this.
  15. I don’t mind Phil’s choices so much expect for the treacly arrangement for The Long and Winding Road.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  16. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

That makes it sound cute. The reality is that they’re a bunch of arrogant and ignorant tools. Good thing that most of that subset of Beatle fandom are dying off.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

What's this 'mistake'? I've gone back a few pages and have no idea what is being talked about.

Sear likes this.
  18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The one being discussed specifically is the issue with the vocals in If I Fell on the 2014 video remix.

19. HotelYorba101

Oh I was still thinking of the Eight Days A Week situation mentioned by a person pages prior

Lewisboogie likes this.
  20. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Wow! That's rough, man! You sound like a Rush fan ironically describing a Rush fan.

21. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

How different is it to the previous mixes?

22. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

Does it really sound that different? Maybe my ears are getting bad :) I hear that some strings are lowered and some vocals are a bit more crisp, but it's not like night and day for me.

Sgt. Abbey Road likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted:

There are certainly things I don't like about various remixes that are just differences. But there's a difference between "something is slightly louder now" or "there's more reverb now" and "something is out of tune/out of time now that wasn't before".

supermd, Gila and Onder like this.
  24. Roanoke Park Indefinitely

Roanoke Park Indefinitely Forum Resident

Not sure if this has already been brought up in this long thread, but I'm really happy with the 2009 remasters overseen by George Martin. I also think he did a great job on the Rubber Soul and Help! remixes in 1986.

I guess the Giles remixes are a lovely curiosity, but is it that hot of a take to say that the original mixes work well? (with both mono and stereo options)

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  25. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Depends on the album and it’s mix. Some of the original mixes are horrible. There is some blindness/deafness going on that’s caused from nostalgia.

bhazen and Detroit Rock Citizen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.