Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have all the remixes and I don't believe there is one, categorical "Giles treatment". While they all share one or two overriding qualities (stronger bass and drums), I think each album was approached in its own aurally applicable way. Granted, this doesn't mean 100% success; but for the most part, I feel his remixes brought a positive alternate listening experience to each album.

2. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

My source, which I do not have in front of me was, which I have thought was very well regarded:
    The Beatles Recording Reference Manual: Volume 2: Help! through Revolver (1965-1966) (Beatles Recording Reference Manuals) by Jerry Hammack.

3. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Oh I see. Sorry to say but books from this guy are not very reliable source for the multitrack layouts. Lots of incorrect info.
    I don't understand why he claims the organ shares the same track with drums and bass when on the original stereo mix drums/bass is panned to the left and the organ is in center.
    The correct 4-track tape layout for take 9, from which the original mono and stereo was created goes like this:
    Track 1: drums, bass
    Track 2: brass
    Track 3: lead vocal
    Track 4: lead vocal, organ, tambourine, guitars

Track 1 also features a leakage of the original rhythm and lead guitars part later wiped by the brass.

supermd, ronbow, DK Pete and 3 others like this.
  4. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

In the Anthology snippet of GTGYIML, the horns are in true stereo, I believe.

Beatle Ed 2021 likes this.
  5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Do you really see Apple letting that out of their umbrella? I can see them being "invited to consult, on a confidential basis", but Giles will have his name on the final product, for sure.

JulesRules likes this.
  6. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

What’s wrong with the original mixes? Nothing. Nothing at all. I've enjoyed those for nearly 56 years.

Is there a need to remix the Beatles? Don’t know about a need - that can be argued - but what’s wrong with folks wanting to enjoy a new slant on the old recordings? I've been hearing those for nearly 56 years.

It shouldn't detract from anyone who prefers the original "definitive" versions.

7. Cool Chemist

Cool Chemist Forum Resident

I can confirm that the original mixes (2009 CD versions) of Pepper, White and Abbey Road have not been available new for some time and certainly pre-Covid in the case of Pepper. This is also true of the 2012 LP versions of those albums.
    I do not know if it means they are out of print but they certainly have not been pressing any up for a while.
    Meanwhile the Giles Martin remixes are still readily available in the UK.

Sgt. Abbey Road, DK Pete and lukpac like this.
  8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Perfectly put. The terms “definitive” and “better sounding” aren’t synonymous.

9. obi

obi Forum Resident

I think the nature of vinyl records production nowadays is not to keep things "in print". Rather it is to do isolated limited pressings where the pressing numbers are based on a qualified guess of how many records can be sold.
    I don't think the fact that sgt. Pepper is difficult to find on vinyl in the original stereo mix is an indication that the Giles remix is meant to replace the original mix. If they wanted that they would remove the original mix from streaming/download services as well. The Giles remix is simply the latest pressing they did of Sgt Pepper so that's why it's still available in stores.

Sgt. Abbey Road, DK Pete and ronbow like this.
  10. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

Exactly. This “sky is falling” bollocks is just that. Besides, it’s not like anyone here are suddenly going to need a copy of the original mixes. I’m sure all those complaining have at least 8. On top of that, they aren’t some super fan protector of the Beatles legacy. Paul and Ringo and the Lennon and Harrison estates don’t need some middle-aged/old anti-social dorks protecting their precious mixes. They’re projecting their legacy just fine without them.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  11. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes - thank you, although the tone is just a bit unnecessarily inflammatory. No one’s copies of the originals are being confiscated, they remain readily available in secondary markets for those who feel the urgency to track down the “definitive” version or need another “back- up copy”, and in a few years the label gets to re-release them with the attendant breathless “out-of-print” / “original mix” hype. No big deal.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2022
  12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Right - these are the biggest albums in rock history we are talking about. Just because a specific mix is not available, just at this point in time, on one specific format (vinyl) doesn't mean it is time to panic or assume there will be a future where it is impossible to hear the original mixes lol

BeatleJWOL and ronbow like this.
  13. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Do we have Giles daily planner yet? What else does the guy do?

14. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Coca Cola eventually returned to their original formula so there’s always that.

lukpac likes this.
  15. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I heard he scours the SH Forum during his downtime to find the most effective ways to irritate hardcore Beatles fans by making remixes loads of people dig :D

paulisdead likes this.
  16. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Good thing Giles can’t actually see my sandals & socks. ;)

paulisdead likes this.
  17. Onder

Onder Senior Member

Correct. For the remix they sync'd the pre bounced tape (Take 8) which has the brass over two tracks.

JulesRules, supermd, lukpac and 3 others like this.
  18. Emerald Bar

Emerald Bar Forum Resident

The remaining albums should, I think, be given the remix treatment, where instruments and vocals can be more sensitively placed so as to be less jarring and one-sided (especially for those of us who listen predominantly on headphones).
    Peter Jackson's audio restoration team have developed new technology to extrapolate individual instruments and vocals from a mono soundtrack. Surely, this is the breakthrough Giles Martin was waiting for before tackling what remains to be remixed from the Fabs' catalogue.

19. Gila

Gila Forum Resident

I get why everybody is calling it "Peter Jackson's audio restoration", even if it's not really his.

But why suddenly there are such high hopes for it? Like it's suddenly some huge advance and breakthrough? It's not that different from what was used on Hollywood Bowl and other similar machine learning algorithms. Surely things have improved since 2009 when they did separations and extractions for Beatles Rock Band, but it's still not that great and has artifacts (although it's pretty awesome). It might work for a movie sound to rebalance dialogue or instruments, but for purely audio product?

Even in that demo clip you can hear that this processing has artifacts.

supermd, Onder, lukpac and 2 others like this.
  20. rlj1010

rlj1010 Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't care much about the remixes in the first place. I just buy these sets for the fresh outtakes that they include.

21. Big Sur 4/4 version

Big Sur 4/4 version Forum Resident

Something that a lot of people refuse to take into account, the majority of Music listeners, especially of a band like the Beatles, literally the biggest band in the world basically, don’t care about any of this stuff.
    They don’t care about the significance of the original mono mix.
    They don’t understand why the early Beatles albums sound so odd in their headphones.
    They don’t care about pressing differences, and EQ choices, etc.
    All they know is that when Taxman starts up in their playlist at the gym or whatever, their right ear basically goes deaf.
    Reading The comments of this video is exactly why the new Pepper remix is quickly becoming the “default” for most average consumers.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

So I guess you have to be at the gym for that to be a problem?

It's never bothered me, but admittedly I don't think I've heard it at the gym.

supermd and DK Pete like this.
  23. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

That was not his/her point and you know it. That's just a cheap way of making fun of this poster's point, and I honestly expected better from you.
    I will say that in my case, 60s stereo separation always made my brain hurt when listening to it on headphones. Being able to digitally narrowing the stereo image for headphones/earbuds listening was a real blessing for me.

JulesRules and Billy Infinity like this.
  24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The point is people have been listening to Beatles mixes on headphones for quite a long time and most people don't notice or care about such "problems".

Adam9, tages, Onder and 2 others like this.
  25. JosepZ

JosepZ Digital knight of the analog masters

Most people my age don't ever listen to the Beatles, but every time I have shown their music to them using headphones, they sure as hell have noticed that "weird" stereo separation. Honestly nobody told me it sucked but they did find it puzzling.

JulesRules and Billy Infinity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.