Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermd

supermd Senior Member

I love that album, and the quad mix is good (for most songs)!

DK Pete and 2141 like this.
  2. Prince John

Prince John Forum Resident

It’s a problem to young people who stream the Beatles on Spotify or Apple Music to listen to them on headphones. Headphone listening is how most young people listen to music. It’s a major issue if the mixes are unlistenable to them. Let’s face it, the way most of us listen to music is not only niche but largely a thing of the past. You don’t see most people buying stereo systems for their living rooms. The original mixes were designed with a specific playback medium in mind. They weren’t designed to be played back on new mediums 50+ years later. They weren’t mixed with the thought that everything they made were going to be analyzed and viewed as some untouchable relic by overzealous fans 50+ years later. They were mixed to be consumed by the 60s pop music demographic.

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's really not.

People, including tons of kids, have been listening to Beatles mixes on headphones for 40+ years. It's not new, and it's not a problem.

4. Prince John

So they must be a bunch of liars then. Lukpac says it’s not a problem so it’s magically not a problem. Good to know.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

"They"? "They" who? Liars?

Do *some* people have a problem with Beatles stereo mixes on headphones? Sure. But some sort of overwhelming majority? I don't think so.

teag, Onder, Cool Chemist and 2 others like this.
  6. Prince John

Get out of the Steve Hoffman music forum bubble and you’ll see the average headphone listener of today who streams the Beatles get annoyed with the lopsided mix of certain stereo mixes. Compared to 40+ years ago, virtually all of young people’s music listening today is through headphones. Again, the original mixes weren’t designed to be untouchable holy grails and listenable on the mediums that are dominant 50+ years later. That’s a reality you need to come to accept. You’re not the young earbud wearing music streaming demographic. You don’t get to minimize the problem.

7. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Exactly where will I see this? You're sure you're not stuck in a different bubble?

I'm not minimizing a problem because it's not a problem.

It's one thing to simply want new mixes because you want them. But to suggest that there's some problem that the "kids" have with the original stereo mixes that needs to be solved with remixes is pretty silly. The reality is most people don't know or care about such things, and never have.

teag, tages, timnor and 7 others like this.
  8. supermd

supermd Senior Member

It’s that same funny argument I’ve seen pop up here every once in a while regarding Beatles remixes: that the kids need a modern remix to enjoy Beatles music. I’ve got news for some people: whether you like or dislike the remixes done thus far, no matter which mix you give a young person, “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” is always going to sound like “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds.” They either dig the song, or they don’t. A remix isn’t going to suddenly make anyone a Beatles fan. The music is the same. Yes, I much prefer the original mixes, but really, the remixes aren’t so drastically different that someone who disliked a Beatles song while listening to a 1967 mix is going to suddenly love it when listening to a 2017 mix of it.

As a young (Millennial) Beatles fan, before I even understood mixes or masterings or mono or stereo, I had the 1987 CDs, like millions of people did, and at no point was I ever turned off by hearing George Harrison’s vocal coming from the right channel in “Here Comes the Sun.” Ya know? You either like that song, or you don’t.

paulisdead, Adam9, 2141 and 11 others like this.
  9. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I remember the first time I heard "Eleanor Rigby" on headphones. It was the stereo mix. I was like "holy shoot, is Paul behind me?"

10. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

A lot of them also use speakers and also fold everything to mono. Mixes don't matter for 95% of Beatles fans. Never have, never will.

11. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

There’s a Bohemian Rhapsody reaction video out there where the listener is shocked that the headphones bounce from left to right & back again. Like jumping out of his chair shocked, as if someone else was in the room messing with his head. My guess is his ears were simply conditioned for a centralized mix, stunned that his headphones could actually pan back & forth.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

I dig the remix for a lot more than simply more low end :)

Billy Infinity likes this.
  13. HotelYorba101

I can attest firsthand, to someone I reccomended Rubber Soul to and they couldn't get past the (to some us younger people's ears) odd stereo imaging. I think that if the remix gets even one of said people to listen to the albums when they would not have prior, it is a worthwhile venture

Billy Infinity likes this.
  14. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

I can wait for the technology when it comes to Rubber Soul and Revolver but in the meantime could we have these?

Magical Mystery Tour
    Flying
    Blue Jay Way
    Your Mother Should Know
    All You Need Is Love
    Baby You're A Rich Man
    Only A Northern Song
    It's All Too Much
    Hey Bulldog
    Altogether Now
    Lady Madonna
    The Inner Light
    Hey Jude
    Revolution
    Get Back
    Ballad of John and Yoko
    Old Brown Shoe
    You Know My Name

(I may have missed a few or perhaps some of these have been done...)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Tristero likes this.
  15. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Well, I know some of them are "old news" but several of these are already remixed:
    All You Need Is Love - One[reissue]/YSS
    Baby You're A Rich Man - YSS
    Only A Northern Song - YSS
    It's All Too Much - YSS
    Hey Bulldog - YSS
    Altogether Now - YSS
    Lady Madonna - One[reissue]

That leaves:
    Magical Mystery Tour*
    Flying*
    Blue Jay Way*
    Your Mother Should Know*
    The Inner Light
    You Know My Name**

* Yes, I know it was remixed on the MMT DVD, but there is dialog/sounds overlapping the beginning/ending of most tracks and extracting them is a pain.
    ** Technically remixed on Anthology 2, but also re-edited so some bits are missing [in addition to having some extra bits...]

Michael Macrone and Dr. Dog like this.
  16. Dr. Dog

Dr. Dog You can talk to me...

I was disappointed they faded early on You Know My Name on Anthology. I love Lennon's vocal grumbles...
    Even though some of these have been re-mixed for YSS a box with all of these would also hopefully include different versions.

jmxw likes this.
  17. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

Most young people wouldn’t even know what a mix was.

18. Octavian

Octavian Forum Resident

19. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

I think there’s some truth in this. It’s why I think the original mono mixes should be made more widely available via streaming etc.

20. schnulli

schnulli Forum Resident

Yes. But „remixing“ „Steve Wilson style“ is different. I really like all of his remixing of the Jethro Tull material. Without altering the original sound too much, the new releases are a sonic improvement (at least for my ears). I would like to have albums like Sgt. Pepper or Revolver being remixed „Steve Wilson style“. The new mix of Sgt. Pepper has many tracks that just sounded too artificial - maybe i have heard the originals for too long (?). LSD on the Pepper remix is an atrocity … just too much with instruments being moved around.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. HotelYorba101

This thread/forum is making me realize that if it wasn't for the Mona Lisa we apparently would have absolutely no way of drawing any sort of analogies to audio remixing whatsoever lol

22. UnderTheFloorboards'66

UnderTheFloorboards'66 Forum Resident

Some of you people are beyond out of touch. The stereo mixes are unlistenable to kids? My little brother loves listening to the Beatles through earbuds, and actually smiles every time their songs use heavy stereo effects. I also began seriously listening to The Beatles through headphones when I got older, and I actually enjoy listening to their music through headphones more than through some car speaker. That being said, I would still like to see a Rubber Soul and Revolver remix-- their whole catalog remixed infact.

23. HotelYorba101

I don't think it is that the original stereo mixes are unlistenable to younger people and that the catalogue is in danger of not being listened to due to it, however having a more "modern" usage of stereo imaging would mean the songs audibly fit better sonically into playlists, the albums listened to around it, etc. in the age of streaming, playlist curation, etc.

All in all we can debate whether that issue is significant enough, but via interviews, we know that is one of many points of the remixing. So from my perspective, agreeing with their premise on that or not, all that remains is to let it be and just listen to whichever mix you prefer

24. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

I came across a tidbit today (after my earlier post) that goes some way in describing the crude sentiments people have about these things. Supposedly from an old Russian tale of some sort, it goes like this -- A peasant sees his wealthier neighbor just got a cow. He drops to his knees and begins praying, begging God for help. And God answers. God asks, "What is it I can do to help you?" And the peasant replies, "Kill that cow."

Ephi82, ronbow and JosepZ like this.
  25. Beatle Ed 2021

Beatle Ed 2021 Forum Resident

Basically because it seems that the technology has taken a quantum leap forward in literally the last year, going by what Peter Jackson says (and I have no reason to doubt him as he'll know better about these things than we will). But it all comes down to development time equals money in the end; I'm sure that a push could have been made to get to this stage earlier if there was a perceived reason / incentive to do it (as with all these things). He never claimed to be the creator of the concept but Jackson pushed the technology forward as circumstances allowed him extra time and a specific target to benefit from the work. So any kudos Jackson and his team get for advancing demix technology is well earned in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.