Why Giles Won’t Remix Rubber Soul/Revolver

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by danielkov86, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't even know what that's supposed to mean, but feel free to stop the personal attacks.

Beatles 50th anniversary box sets are pretty much guaranteed to sell well regardless of if they have remixes or if the remixes are any good.

2. lord K

lord K Forum Resident

Please God, don t let anybody remix the beatles again
    Pleaaaaaaaaassssssseeeee

3. noirbar

noirbar Forum Resident

Hey luk, I know you've previously weighed in, but can you remind me of your take on Giles' The Beatles (White Album) remix? This is my favorite Beatles album (after Something New - I know...) and while it is certainly much cleaner, I find it sterile and cold, with certain instruments leaping out at me - yikes!!

My view - give me the originals because, well, they're the greatest band of all time, and in any event, that's what I grew up with. Remixing is fine for the "kids" here (no disrespect meant, I'm an old timer clinging to the past), but at least give us both original + new & improved mixes or what's the point.

supermd and lukpac like this.
  4. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Certainly not the majority of cases. If you can send me a source proving otherwise though I'd be open to changing my mind...

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

In one word: distracting.

What makes you assume they are buying them for the remixes?

Onder, Grant, supermd and 1 other person like this.
  6. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

What would make you assume the outakes are more the reason why the sets are purchased? I would argue that person's answer would be the same and we would need a worldwide poll to resolve this debate lol

hidlive likes this.
  7. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Because.... that's uh. That's the thing that's being promoted? Let's keep in mind you said "people" implying EVERYONE does. I can safely say I've seen others in this forum who (with their opinions being valid) think the supplementary material isn't worth listening to. But again, the majority of the time people are going to be buying Abbey Road (2019 Mix) first and foremost because it has Abbey Road (2019 Mix).

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Even a lot of die-hard music fans don't pay *that* much attention to things like mixes. But "fancy new box set" and they're on it.

I have no idea what percentage of people who bought the box sets really liked the remixes, or specifically did so for the remixes. But I know it's not safe to assume those things, and that a not insubstantial number of people only have the remixes because they have to.

A single CD with the remix? Sure. A whole box set? Definitely not necessarily.

Grant and cartologist like this.
  9. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.