Why hasn't JULIA (the Diahann Carroll sitcom) been released on DVD?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hooperfan, May 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

I remember watching reruns of Julia on afternoon TV in Australia, late 70's maybe, I was still a kid. It will always have a special place in my heart. Just such a beautiful and natural show. Thanks for reminding me of this!!!

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, I was told Baretta was (back in 2010), but I dunno about Name of the Game. The insurance payout covered every single HD master that was lost, so if it was done before, it got redone between 2009-2015. Universal has no reason not to remaster everything they own between 1970 and the present (even in 4K HDR), but before that is dicey from a commercial point of view.

3. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Watched many episodes on
    ASPiRE a few years ago, still
    love it!

4. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

It ran for 27 episodes, and wasn't a "full" season in the sixties 39 episodes? So that would make about two-thirds of one. Ann Sheridan died in Jan. '67 and CBS cancelled it two months later; she was only in 21 of the shows. There is a DVD available by Echo Bridge with 6 of the shows, but it's painful to watch since she's so thin and never has much dialogue. I guess I take issue with calling it "failed" because it was cancelled due to the lead's death, not because of ratings per se.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  5. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

39 episodes was the norm in the 50s. By the mid-60s, the average was between 26 and 34 a year, with most shows filming 26 in 1966-67. Look it up. A few were on the high end with over 30 but most weren't. Mission Impossible, the show which followed Pistols on Saturday night filmed 28.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  6. James Slattery

James Slattery Forum Resident

The show really doesn't hold up well at all as its not very funny. It was notable for its casting and star but as a show itself, there's really nothing particularly noteworthy about it. Its one of those shows, similar to To Rome With Love and The Smith Family, which is just very bland.

7. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Not to me. It might not hold up well or be funny but who cares. The relationship between Cory and Earl J Waggedorn, Julia, just beautiful. Great show it was.

Hooperfan likes this.
  8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Ms. Carroll has passed, at 84. No, I'm not the Angel of Death.

9. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

That's sad. She had a long battle with cancer as well.

10. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner Thread Starter

It's sad but anybody at that age is inevitably going to have health issues. That's a nice ripe age. I hope she didn't suffer long with her illness

unclefred and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  11. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

I used to watch Julia during its broadcast run.
    Don't remember much of it other than it broke racial ground (as far as how African-Americans are now being portrayed) right in your own home, and I had a major crush on DC .
    In the end, I remember that was one of the shows that the NAACP (and/or others) complained about as in not portraying African Americans in a realistic light, sort of sugar-coating the reality of what the majority of the AA community's lifestyle deals with on a day-to-day basis, as in everything is OK in our world, don't worry about us.
    That unofficially gave Hollywood the go-ahead to stereotype the community as druggies, pimps and Ebonics-speaking gang members in the Seventies, until people again complained and finally brought us where were at today...full circle back to Julia (and other shows of the time as well), with lots of money being made in the interim.

A sort of apples-oranges comparison, yet in some ways similar to the above.
    Sometime during Sonny & Cher's show, Sonny started using the phrase Atmosphere in place of the term Extras.
    Someone started complaining that that made them (us the actors) sound like a non-human being, sort of a cold-blooded prop, according to a TV Guide article.
    Well it changed back to Extras for the longest time until it finally sort of reverted back to Atmosphere, at least in some camps.
    I don't know what the term is now, but in retrospect, Extras wasn't that great of a term either, at least in a world where the participants are known to complain that their part is too small, or they didn't even receive screen credit.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
  12. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

When I hear or read this phrase , I think of ' Network '

Vidiot likes this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.