Why haven't Tarantino and Travolta worked together since Pulp Fiction?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael Rose, May 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident Thread Starter

Quentin obviously works with many of his previous cast and crew on his films. Why not John? I haven't done any deep dive on the internets prior to my question. So if this has been answered before, by all means do share.

905 and Monosterio like this.
  2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

He doesn't want his scripts touched by an E-meter?

3. glide

glide Forum Resident

Quentin is probably trying to keep an arms length from (alleged) serial sexual assulters?

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Maybe there aren't enough roles to fit Travlota's endless variations on the Vinnie Barbarino character. Every time he strays from that, he is ham on rye. Pulp Fiction is the ultimate Vinnie statement and he gets killed, so it's kind of an appropriate end, unless Quentin wants to resurrect him for a Vega Brothers in an Old Folks Home movie. He and Michael Madsen could sit in their wheelchairs and have long, foul mouthed pop culture conversations about having shingles and watching NCIS.

5. Michael Rose

Now, agreed but, in the 1990's, for worse, those alleged criminal acts were kept under wraps if non-existent. So he could've had a part in Jackie Brown, Four Rooms, probably not for the Kill Bill series. Bruce Willis, Uma, Tim Roth, and especially Sam Jackson have multiple appearances. Just wondering if there was a publicized fallout I was unaware of.

6. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Because Tarantino is such a high character guy himself.

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Judging from the bulk of his career, Travolta doesn't have great taste in material. Once Tarantino put him back on the map, he was pretty soon back to doing Hollywood junk again and was neither cool enough (e.g. Samuel Jackson) nor way off the radar enough (eg Pam Grier) for Tarantino to be excited about anymore.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  8. Michael Rose

That makes a lot of sense.

9. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The only reason he did something "indie" and "edgy" like Pulp Fiction was because his career was in the toilet and suddenly someone really wanted him again. I don't think it's his natural inclination to do material like that. Though if Tarantino called him now I'm sure he'd come running.

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why did QT want Tom Cruise then for " Once Upon A Time In Hollywood "He's a sort of typecast actor.

11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Probably the same reason he used Travolta in PF. Take an actor who’s well known and typecast, and make him ‘cool’ again. It’s kind of the oddity factor I would assume.

“Hey, look! It’s Tom Cruise playing Tex Watson!” type deal.

Michael Rose likes this.
  12. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

I don't know about the OP's Tarantino question and I haven't read anything here supported by fact.

Travolta, like most actors, has agents who provide advice on scripts. Once cast, the actor has very little, if any, control over the final product. His noteworthy films include Carrie, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, Blow Out, Pulp Fiction, and The Thin Red Line. Sure, there's a lot of crummy films, but what percent of career screen actors end up performing in nearly all winners?

13. Not sure you can include Thin Red Line. He has, what, half a dozen lines? He seems to have an extraordinarily extravagant lifestyle. All the crappy movies pay for the private jets, etc. I call it the Cage Caine syndrome.

14. alexpop

Tom Cruise doesn't need a helping hand in selling movies.

15. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Did you see ‘Knight and Day’ or the second Jack Reacher? He could definitely use a little cool movie cred at this point. He’s not what he used to be.

bababooey likes this.
  16. alexpop

Jack Reacher 2 sucked 5/10
    Knight and Day 8/10
    Last Samurai 9/10

GodShifter likes this.
  17. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Tom's just getting too old to be an action hero, much to his apparent chagrin. He was pretty funny in Tropic Thunder - if he wants to build up some cred, he needs to start taking more chances like that. And why the hell not? How many more millions does he need to make?

18. alexpop

True,he's no spring chicken anymore.

19. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

I think his...ahem...lifestyle doesn't help either (you could say that for both).

OldSoul, Zoot Marimba and GodShifter like this.
  20. glide

glide Forum Resident

Being of "high character" and being a criminal are two different things.

Ghostworld likes this.
  21. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

What crime has Travolta been convicted of? And if we're talking strictly character faults and questionable, sleezy alleged behavior, Tarantino is easily Travolta's equal in that dept.

22. glide

glide Forum Resident

You'll note my initial post said "alleged". Weinstein hasn't been convicted either but that does not mean people will freely associate with him due to the volume of allegations. Same with Travolta (perhaps).

I am not aware of any behavior on Tarantino's end that involves criminality. Deviant? Maybe. But we're not talking about being the moral police.

23. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

My whole point though wasn't to directly compare their alleged issues, it's just the general concept of one "deviant" calling out another bigger deviant. This all never happened though, it was just an example you had thrown out there and I just responded to. Probably not much more to discuss.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  24. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Travolta wants Tarantino toupee him too much :p

Lownote30 and Jazzmonkie like this.
  25. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

From 2016:

The Two Pulp Fiction Spinoffs Quentin Tarantino Wanted To Make

"While out promoting The Hateful Eight in Australia, Quentin Tarantino admitted to film blog So Is It Any Good? that he has previously been very tempted to make films that paired up brothers Pulp Fiction’s Vincent Vega (John Travolta) with Reservoir Dogs’ Vic Vega (Michael Madsen), on their own criminal adventure."

Of course, Tarantino's been tempted to do many films, including another Kill Bill, which he's now apparently shelved. At any rate, looks like the inclination has been there but the timing hasn't been right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.