Why Isn't ' Rubber Soul ' Our Favourite Beatles Album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

That’s exactly what my husband says..,I think he even has a few of her albums or at least one album..lol, the one with boots on it.

2. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Good points. I am not knocking anyone for taking offense to this song. To each their own. I don’t believe in spousal abuse and I could care less if John liked it or not. I enjoy listening to it. It’s got a good beat and easy to dance to....

3. joy stinson

I thought it was a joke...meant fake soul.

4. 6stringer

6stringer ...because it's the music that matters.

Yes, exactly, and without it and those little bits of experimentation on Rubber Soul, they might have run aground like so many bands did after their initial run of hits. Also, your average 1965 pop album was not exactly full of top quality song content either so this LP does stand out.

5. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I would want it to stay on the album if someone considered removing it; it is what it was and still 'is', and people should listen to it if they want to. If it was an instrumental I'd play it a lot more. I kind of tend to skip Michelle and Girl if I'm not lazy or distracted. Run For Your Life is just real easy to skip as the last song on the album.

Floatupstream likes this.
  6. Comicsanstombstone

Comicsanstombstone Forum Resident

McCartney on the imagery at the end:
    "In our world the guy had to have some sort of revenge. It could have meant I lit a fire to keep myself warm, and wasn't the decor of her house wonderful? But it didn't, it meant I burned the ******* place down as an act of revenge, and then we left it there and went into the instrumental."

I guess by "in our world" he means "the world of songwriters looking for an unusual scenario" rather than anything more sinister (though framing it as "revenge" rather than "psychotic, entitled behavior" is still a bit ugly).

beccabear67 and rtalwani like this.
  7. beccabear67

Norweigan Wood mentioning burning is more in-keeping with the theme of wood. Would it have come up but for the wood theme? The Stones' Play With Fire was warning someone would get burnt, but not as literal a fire.

8. Floatupstream

Floatupstream Forum Resident

Girl is probably my favorite on the album. Sounds like nothing else in their catalogue. I love the sound of John’s voice on this one. He was on a roll on Rubber Soul and Revolver.

9. beccabear67

I heard Michelle and Girl a lot even before I finally got the UK CD, they became overly familiar. I think Lovely Rita and Yellow Submarine were others along those lines. Not The Beatles' fault that radio might play something a lot and something else not at all. I might even like You Won't See Me and What Goes On more than they warrant just because neither was so familiar.

Revolver, Help and Rubber Soul are easily my most played and enjoyed Beatles albums in about that order. The only Beatles related LPs I had around pre-CDs, from when they were released, were Wings' London Town and Lennon-Ono's Shaved Fish and Double Fantasy. Add the red and blue 2LP sets probably, Rock And Roll Music, Magical Mystery Tour and Sgt. Pepper's as later LP editions. I still don't get into Sgt. Pepper's much or understand quite why it's so lionized outside a A Day In The Life. Maybe if it had've had Strawberry Fields and Penny Lane as initially intended in place of Fixing A Hole, Lovely Rita and maybe Within You Without You (and I do appreciate sitar and Shankar, but this is Harrison at pretty simplistic level).

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..Shea Stadium..I know that would technically fall under "touring" but, I figured it was monumentous enough that it warrants its own mention.

11. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Sgt. Pepper's significance on a musically/artistic/cultural level supersedes the individual song-per-song substance. I also place Revolver and Rubber Soul above..albeit it's (Pepper) my fifth favorite album of all time.

12. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Never claimed they copied the Monkees. Just that it sounds like the Monkees.

ODIrony likes this.
  13. BeatleBruceMayer

BeatleBruceMayer Forum Resident

It's not my favorite album, but for some reason, I don't like it as much as Revolver, Pepper, White, or Abbey. It's close. I like both the original and the US version. I enjoy Run for Your Life despite its lyrics. I don't hear anyone complain about any of Bruce Springsteen's songs on Nebraska in which the main characters are killers, but maybe because the album is dark and acoustic. And I find Day Tripper to be a very overrated song. Great guitar riff, but the song itself is ok.

14. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader Thread Starter

Oh , beccabear ! I was just starting to like you and now this !
    Absolutely love this song. Maybe George's finest hour.

sekaer and DK Pete like this.
  15. joy stinson

Wildest cat,

Our boys...as they were once called... got taken to the woodshed for different reasons by several on this thread. Oh, well, it’s the Beatles, it bloody sold, shut up. Lol.

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Yea, but it's thanks to the woodshedders, it makes it fun and challenging. Imagine if we all just came on here in one big Beatle love fest? Yawn....

17. D-rock

D-rock Senior Member

Isn't that the objective of 99.9% of the threads on here?

7solqs4iago likes this.
  18. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Monkees sound like it would be more correct to say.

19. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Great album. I regard this as the key turning point for the Beatles when the album became more important than the single. The first Beatles album where I play just about every cut. But not the last.

Floatupstream and DK Pete like this.
  20. sekaer

sekaer Forum Resident

Just played it again. Stunning. I tend to rate real high, so over on the other thread I gave 3/4 of the record a 10/10. A thrilling, golden moment in their career when the zenith comes into sight.

21. joy stinson

Agree...what an interesting thread this had been....gives you the long view of history and contemporary reassessments of classic albums ...and variety is the spice of life...without it SHF most SHF threads would soon die.

beccabear67 and DK Pete like this.
  22. It's one of my least favorite Beatle albums. For one thing, the mix is terrible, like Revolver, but Revolver has better songs. I like In My Life, and Nowhere Man, other than that, the songs are forgettable to me.

23. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Dissenting viewpoints sometimes force us to step out out of our own "mind set" boxes and reconsider. Sometimes. To a point.

24. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..so you don
    ......so you don't like it...?

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  25. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Great album, though dated feel. Unlike Abbey Road (sorry).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.