Why Isn't ' Rubber Soul ' Our Favourite Beatles Album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Rubber Soul isn’t their best, but it’s up there one of their most solid efforts

2. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Top album, but obviously rushed. Wait and What Goes On are weak songs and Run for Your Life though I like the tune doesn't sit well in 2021 lyrically.
    Lennon was brilliant on the record though and You Won't See Me is an underrated gem.

3. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

4. sthorntn

sthorntn Forum Resident

Run For Your Life does not bother me but I can understand why it is an issue for some. One thing that does makes the song feel "wrong" is those catchy, feel good Beatle harmonies. It's like listening to an ABBA song about a serial killer.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  5. Country Rocker

Country Rocker Forum Resident

I easily prefer the Lennon songs on 'Rubber Soul' over his contributions to 'Revolver'. But the Mccartney songs on 'Revolver' might be his high point. Either way, I prefer 'Help!'. In fact it might be my favourite Beatles album.

6. armin

armin Forum Resident

Rubber Soul is amazing. It is so unbelievable good... but revolver and especially white album are so much more amazing and unbelievable better...

7. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I LOVE it! It’s certainly in my top 3 Beatles records. But they did so many great albums, it’s up against some pretty stiff competition.

8. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Rubber Soul US Stereo is my favorite album of all time

9. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

OK so first of all RELAX. Personally I agree with everything you just screamed. I was commenting on the GENERAL OPINION of others.

10. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

I don't like Caroline.

Exactly.

11. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

You're joking ?!

12. Uuan

Uuan Forum Resident

13. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:cool: My wife's favourite Beatles' album is Rubber Soul.

It's so fine, It's sunshine

14. Mosep

Mosep Senior Member

Mosep's opinion:

Run for Your Life is justifiably maligned
    What Goes On is a little underrated. The lyrics and tone fit well with the album and the country tinge really pares well with the folkier songs on the album.
    The rest of the album is mostly phenomenal
    I rate it neck and neck with Revolver as their best album.

15. nojmplease

nojmplease Host, You Can't Unhear This

I have a feeling nostalgia is a big factor for the people who consider it their absolute best. Perhaps it was the first album they purchased back when it was new, or the first they remember hearing at a pivotal moment in their lives?

And it is a wonderful album - but it sort of feels more like a transition from Help! to Revolver rather than a standalone masterpiece like, say, The White Album or Abbey Road. Probably has something to do with it being fairly rushed as part of their relentless tour/album schedule. They didn't yet have the luxury of unlimited studio time and free reign.

16. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

Same here, Rubber Soul is my favourite. It was when they emerged from the Trojan Horse of pop. A watershed moment in rocknroll.

Odd presumption in thread title , asking why Rubber Soul is not "our" favourite.

To say 'we' and mean 'I' is one of the most recondite insults.
    Theodor W. Adorno

17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Nicely pointed out!

18. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

In My Life is likely my favorite Beatles song. I would think it is universally recognized as "huge". Nowhere Man and Norwegian Wood are also always highly ranked in the Beatles catalog.

19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Which is EXACTLY what makes it brilliant.

sthorntn and DK Pete like this.
  20. speedracer

As many "real rockers" as on any other Beatles album, more than some, except for White Album.

The Word
    Drive My Car
    Think For Yourself
    Run For Your Life

All "real rockers."

21. Mackaveli

Mackaveli Forum Resident

Look man I'm not gonna argue with you again. It's your favorite album, cool but we're gonna have to disagree The Word and Drive My Car as "rockers"

22. speedracer

Well, that is fair, you met my claim halfway, you regard two of the four songs I posted as "real rockers." Which puts the kabosh on your "no real rockers on Rubber Soul" assertion.

23. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Rigorous scientific studies have shown us that a "Rocker" is not necessarily the same as a "Real Rocker".

24. speedracer

It is important to discern between real rockers and rockers. Rockers are not necessarily "real" rockers, but real rockers are certainly rockers.

25. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

My top three Beatle albums are Abbey Road; A Hard Day’s Night; and Rubber Soul (US version). Anyone of them could be my favorite…depending on my mood.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.