Why Isn't ' Rubber Soul ' Our Favourite Beatles Album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wildest cat from montana, Jan 13, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

It's my favorite middle era Beatles album. (I have trouble comparing albums of one era with one from a different one.)

2. Cledwyn

Cledwyn Forum Resident

Isn't Yesterday and Today the best of the butcher albums?

[​IMG]

3. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

disliked for "overrated"

4. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

It means:

Good Day Sunshine/Yellow Submarine
    When I'm 64
    Your Mother Should Know
    Honey Pie/Obla Di Obla Da/Piggies(?)
    All Together Now
    Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Good or bad, Rubber Soul doesn't have any because Michelle is not Grandma music. It is a love ballad, and a darn catchy one too.

5. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

You didn't explain how any of those songs (many of them great) are so called "grandma" music. Or why would it be bad.

51IS likes this.
  6. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

In my opinion Grandma music is akin to saying "children's music." But also something mired in an old fashioned style, like Tin Pan Alley and swing. I personally like them for the most part. I would claim the early albums have them too, with A Taste of Honey and Till There Was You being first on my mind.

7. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Pretty sure it’s a reference to what John called Paul’s “granny **** music” for his small, semi nostalgic, simple almost skiffle like songs.

the songs he lists are definitely “granny **** music”. Still love them, but can’t disagree with John’s assessment! Ha.

8. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

Although excellent and a personal favorite (of several), it's a little dated sounding and on the progression path to higher achievements. I think it is widely considered the breakout album that began a string of masterpieces.

9. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Because they made better.

51IS, ARK, sound chaser and 1 other person like this.
  10. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I think the album is great. However, for me The Word is Lennon’s weakest Beatle track ( except for the awful You Know my Name (Look up the Number).

What Goes On is Ritchie’s worst Beatles track (except for Don’t Pass Me By) So Rubber Soul is not perfect. It is also the only Beatles record that seems a bit dated. The keyboards on The Word. The fuzz base on Think For Yourself. The keyboard and guitar break on I’m Looking Through you just seem a bit dated. This is the only record in The Beatles canon that I feel this way about.

George’s two tracks are great. Wait is really underrated. In My Life, Norwegian Wood, and Nowhere Man, are probably in my top 10 Lennon tracks. Michelle is beautiful and timeless.

11. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I don't even know much about The Beatles, but at least I know that Lennon made fun of Pauls' grannie music.

12. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Same here sometimes Rubber Soul is preferred over Revolver depending, volume 1&2 short of thing :wave: My fav Beatles period is 1965/1966 period. :D

Sean

13. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I love Run For Your Life, the most scorned track on there.
    Not so much with What Goes On, that's the weakest one to me.

14. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I think John Lennon said it's a pun and it means English Soul. (or meant that - go figure)

15. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

How in the world is this Ringo's worst? Listen to that wonderfully jangly guitar, the exquisite harmonies, and the vocal melody. I can totally see a modern sped up rocked out version. The lyrics are simple, but again, an original (which gets points automatically) and a folky update of the bluesy style from lesser Honey Don't and Matchbox. I Wanna Be Your Man being a raver without much of his personality in there, Act Naturally being a good pick but a cheesy cover and Boys having a great vocal but being a little, um, awkward. I would say What Goes On was Ringo's biggest lead breakthrough so far.

fldveloce and Neil Anderson like this.
  16. HalloweenJack95

HalloweenJack95 Forum Resident

Couldn't have said it better.

17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

I always assumed it was a play on words with "rubber sole".

Jarleboy, Jimmy B. and Suncola like this.
  18. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

It’s a strong collection of songs, but the fact that I listen to it in both the UK and the USA configurations puts a crack in the illusion of it as a cohesive album. I don’t think of it as a fixed unit the way I do with Revolver and the others going forward.

msza likes this.
  19. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

still tinged with tennybopper stuff, and it was probably grass influenced

i prefer the acid tinged 60s music, from all acts....

20. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

Because as great as it is, The White Album, Revolver, Abbey Road and Sgt. Pepper are better!
    At least to me.
    :cheers:

21. Greg Smith

Greg Smith Forum Resident

Superb album, with two or three fillers....Wait, Run For Your Life, What Goes On are not top class Beatles.

22. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Maybe I'm being to literal, but favorite and best are two completely different things. But no, there will never be a consensus that Rubber Soul is suddenly the best Beatles album. Why? Because opinions.

23. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

I wasn't but ten years old when it came out; I always preferred the albums that came out later when I was paying attention.

No Bull and 7solqs4iago like this.
  24. 7solqs4iago

7solqs4iago Forum Resident

Beatles'65 was better, first half of B4S with I Feel Fine and She's a Woman taking out 2nd side filler

25. Pianoman99

Pianoman99 Forum Resident

A pity Pepper wasn't butchered apart from the inner groove. It would have been fantastic to have Misery next to She's Leaving Home.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.