Why No Anniversary Editions For Earlier Beatles Albums?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saborlord123, Aug 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'll be very surprised if they do; predicting 'when', is impossible...but I feel better than 99% there *will* be deluxe/remixed editions-at the very least- of both RS and Revolver. Let's not forget...six, seven years ago most people were convinced we'd never see a re-issued Let It Be-in any form-ever again.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Hey, we still haven't - don't believe it until it's in your hands! :D

andrewskyDE, saborlord123 and DK Pete like this.
  3. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

..hmmmmm...I hate to say it but, true, be that!:cry:

Oatsdad likes this.
  4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we'll never really know now will we?...all this speculation...although, Hmmm wait! you may have something there! YOKO approves...so, a rubber stamp from John! I admit defeat! I bow before thee...: ) but I do know Gilesfried knows not about the Beatles music as he has stated...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    Instant Dharma likes this.
  5. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Everybody (almost) over time started saying that Revolver was better than Sgt. Peppers. But the Peppers 50th celebration, and the non-50th celebration for Revolver, helped slow that revisionist history talk. I like the idea of calling it the Abbey Road 2019 Remix. Although I know they aren't calling it a remix. Just the 2019 mix. Truth in advertising. "Something New" from the Beatles factory. Looking forward to the Beatles Capitol Albums Volume III in 2039. Only 20 years to go. And counting.

The Ole' Rocker and DK Pete like this.
  6. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

I could see them doing a 50th anniversary re-release of Let It Be in May 2020, and a 55th anniversary edition of Rubber Soul in December 2020. Revolver 55 in 2021. 2022 can be the 55th anniversary of Magical Mystery Tour, and then 2023 Please Please Me 60.

andrewskyDE and Oatsdad like this.
  7. Oatsdad

Don't get me wrong: I'm pretty sure we're getting a set next year - both music and movie.

Given the shaky history of prior "Let It Be" releases, though... I count on nothing!

8. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

No, I seriously agree with you. If not shelved for some reason, it could end up being very delayed. Anything's possible. Nothing's definite till it happens.

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Next year will be the Beatles' 60th Anniversary. Maybe they will just celebrate them all as such.

What is the Anniversary gem for 60 years? Beatles Diamond Anniversary Reissue Campaign.

10. Michael

2039? Oh Well. : (

DRM likes this.
  11. Michael

CAPITOL VERSIONS VOLUME 3! YEA!!!!

JasonParis and DRM like this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Maybe a re-release of the mono vinyl set...

13. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." Thread Starter

Didn't mikecarrea say something about a mono reissue?

14. Oatsdad

I don't think they care to commemorate anniversaries that aren't tied directly to album/single releases.

Which is why I don't think we'll see anything pre-1965 until 2023 - if they bother then!

15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Not that I know of. But it's confirmed we'll get a UK Singles box set (vinyl exclusive) this November.

saborlord123, DK Pete and Paulwalrus like this.
  16. Paulwalrus

Paulwalrus Forum Resident

I guess they just came up with the idea for Pepper, and were encouraged to keep going by the success of it.

Like someone else said, if Paul can make special editions even of his less popular albums, no reason to think Apple won't with all the Beatles albums.

DK Pete and DRM like this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

There are however many outtakes & Bootlegs out there that would make a great 2nd CD/LP of each of these, right up to Revolver

saborlord123, DK Pete and Paulwalrus like this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

When it comes to outtakes for these sets, I hope they'll find the rest of the first album session (incl. the second take of 'Twist And Shout') and the, hopefully not destroyed, session tapes of 'She Loves You' and 'I'll Get You'.^^

19. Oatsdad

Seems odd to think they "came up with the idea for 'Pepper'", as many, many SDEs from other artists came out before 2017.

I mean, Macca'd been doing SDEs since 2010. It's not like no one at Apple was aware of the concept.

I don't really know why they waited so long, but I don't think it's because the idea never occurred to them pre-2017...

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. Michael

now that's a box I could get into! 1963-1966 OUTAKES and ALTERNATES 5 CD SET!

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This but differently titled: Anthology 1 [Expanded Edition]. Same goes for the other two parts. Although I prefer having all volumes in one big set (audio and HD restored visual content).

DK Pete and Paulwalrus like this.
  22. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

In the "Anthology" series, I distinctly remember them playing what was obviously the session tape for "I Want to Hold Your Hand", as the cameras rolled over replicas of their classic instruments in the studio. It was a fantastic thing to hear, with John & Paul both just having the greatest time ever, cracking jokes & cracking up. It steams me no end that this session, or ANY other takes of "Hand" or "She Loves You", "I'll Get You", on & on have yet to be placed on anything. What in heaven's name is EMI & Apple planning to do with these tapes? The Beatles' biggest audience does not have endless time left on the planet. This "2022, 2023, 2024" business is Bull. Release this stuff NOW.

23. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

THIS :righton:

24. Michael

that'll work! just gimmie them...

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

Scaling back to 2CD/Blu-Ray is probably the way to go with the earliest albums, unless they want to combine them into boxes.

Something like The Beatles 1963 comprising PPM, WTB, the singles, and outtakes would be pretty cool. Ditto for a hypothetical The Beatles 1964.

andrewskyDE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.