Why no George Harrison at The Last Waltz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Interpolantics, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Well, folks, I actually watched Let It Be this morning and it seems to me that the more raw, unSpectorized versions of "Let It Be" and "The Long And Winding Road" shown in the film do sort of have a bit of a Band kind of feel to them- probably down to the piano/organ combination and George's Leslied Telecaster. So one way or another a bit of that sound did seep into The Beatles' music in January 1969.
    I still don't think George was invited, but I am still surprised he didn't call Robbie up and say "I'd like to play at yer show, I've always loved you guys!"
    And "The Old Homestead". Actually if I remember correctly from the Shakey bio, Levon drummed on a fair bit of Neil's still-unreleased Homegrown album as well.

Former Lee Warmer and WilliamWes like this.
  2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Well, I want to know is why they didn’t invite Jesse Winchester.

Former Lee Warmer and chacha like this.
  3. lennonology

lennonology Formerly pas10003

George's SNL appearance with Paul Simon was taped earlier than the live broadcast, but it was also performed before a live audience. There's a recording floating around in the ether of the taping session.

Chip Madinger
    www.lennonology.com

4. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

well...truthfully, the real 2 questions are: why didn't ringo contribute to the harry nillson doc, and 2, why didn't dylan appear at the george concert in 2002....i just don't think george was on the list, as far as the last waltz......different mileue

5. woodface

woodface Forum Resident

In his live cover of Something, available on YouTube, Dylan said he couldn't make George's tribute. I assume he was on tour.

Interpolantics likes this.
  6. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

oh...thanks. didn't know that..

7. maclen

maclen Senior Member

To answer your first question I remember reading that Ringo thought it would be too painful or emotional to talk about Harry. Quite a shame he didn't contribute to the documentary.

Interpolantics likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Paul Simon George Harrison 1976 SNL taping New York rehearsal tape | THE AMAZING KORNYFONE LABEL

1. Here Comes The Sun (2 passes)
    2. Homeward Bound
    3. Bye Bye, Love
    4. Don’t Let Me Wait Too Long
    5. Yesterday
    6. Bridge Over Troubled Water
    7. Rock Island Line
    8. Ride Of The Valkyries
    9. Here Comes The Sun

Brother Maynard likes this.
  9. not yonder

not yonder Forum Resident

The Band's influnce on George is most obvious in 'Beware of Darkness'. The tempo and chord sequences are a pretty direct 'tribute' to 'Tears of Rage'.

I love both tracks.

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

In my opinion, the report is muddled and doesn't make a whole lot of sense (and who intentionally shows up late when two musical icons are performing together for the first and only time, and you can be part of a very select audience to witness it?)

To answer the larger question, it appears George (being a Beatle and all) had sufficient pull to have his sequence of a notably LIVE show taped to suit his schedule, or he had it taped because he wanted to make certain that it was of the highest quality, and wouldn't damage his currently dented reputation as a live performer. Both theories, in my opinion, shed at least a glimmer of light on his non-participation in "The Last Waltz". assuming an invitation was even sent his way.

Spadeygrove and mrjinks like this.
  11. RayS

He WAS invited but couldn't attend, being forced to stay at home by a sadness too sad to be true.

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Used to work at NBC and spend my lunch break most Thursdays watching the SNL musical guest do their rehearsal. Was one of about 5 people in the audience for too many great acts to count. Post George appearance though.

There was audiemce at Sat dress rehearsals, and there were Thurs music rehearsals, but there was no real audience at the Thursday ones (at least by the time I was at them (97-01)).

Running through each song about 4 times is consistent with what I saw at the Thursday rehearsals I was at. It was not for the artist so much as it was for the cameramen to ficure out what angles and camera moves they were going to use at specific parts of the song.

Dress rehearsals were no repeats, just like live show.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    MsMaclen, Brother Maynard and RayS like this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

That’s sad.

RayS likes this.
  14. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

If members of the Band had previously listened to this recording I can understand why he wasn’t invited. Had the Beatles even heard the song before trying to play it?

15. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

Or at least leave the jumpsuit in the dressing room.

16. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I love Bobby Charles Down South In New Orleans.

On a pure listening level I prefer it to Neil Diamond''s Dry Your Eyes.

The poet's was a sop to Robbie''s hip cred.

There's a picture in San Francisco of Dylan and the Poets with Robbie in the background. Depending how the photo is cropped, you might not know Robbie was there.

17. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

[​IMG]

18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

I knew that about R.E.M. 'Credit for just being there' I meant in a good way, too - being there to support and work on the material commonly, being a partner in the business at hand. There can be more incentive to give your two cents when your name is going on it.

With U2, Bono and Edge bring in most of the song ideas and the band works them out to completion together. The other guys help determine which way the song will go and how it will get there, helping add bridges and whatnot.

As we know, the Band did not work in the above ways, or at least not in a way which resulted in a shared credit.

19. RayS

I don't want to be a Beatle apologist, but I think this clip deserves some context. It is an informal warm-up done within the first few minutes of the first day of the "Get Back" sessions - Ringo didn't participate and Paul wasn't even in the building yet. The microphones were not set up properly, and yes, George knew the song a heck of a lot better than John did (John delivers some stray notes that would make the cat run out of the room).

20. teag

teag Forum Resident

I guess The Band thought Neil Diamond was more cutting edge.

21. Spadeygrove

Spadeygrove Senior Member

I think Diamond being there was all Robbie's idea.

22. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

⇧ yes, it was.

23. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They were right.

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Neil hanging backstage with Bob Dylan and Ronnie Wood. Bob is smiling; Ronnie is getting ready to grab another beer: ;)

[​IMG]

ohnothimagen likes this.
  25. Ted Dinard

Ted Dinard Forum Resident

Neil Diamond was great in the movie. Bob Dylan, so so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.