Why no love for MFSL Gino Vannelli Powerful People?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinylfindco, Apr 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters Thread Starter

You don't even have to love Gino Vannelli to love this album. Much better than the other "audiophile" edition of a Vannelli album, the Nautilus Brother to Brother.
    I am always raving about this release, the sound has always been amazing, smiley faced or not, I love it and it sounds better and better as I have upgraded. I consider it a steal at what it usually sells for.
    Has anyone bothered to listen to it? I'd love to hear some others opinions.

oldsurferdude likes this.
  2. steve722

steve722 Forum Resident

I've had this since the day it was released and couldn't agree with you more.
    Still one of the best sounding records in my collection, even after all these years.

3. sbsugar

sbsugar Representing Benton County since 2010

I bought the MFSL vinyl at a flea market about 4-5 years ago for $2...already had the stock A&M, but this blows it out of the water!

NJB

4. Vinylfindco

There's a point in the track "Jack Miraculous" where a siren pans across the sound field and I always am fooled. I turn the volume down and realize the siren isn't real.
    But seriously, to me when cranked to a "live" level (and believe me you can crank this with no distortion), the dynamics suggest a live performance, and the songwriting is just wonderful. Probably my favorite MOFI.

5. BearOnTheMountain

BearOnTheMountain Active Member

My first and only vinyl copy of this was the MFSL release. No longer having a turntable I can't access it anymore and would like a good digital copy. I've had the regular A&M CD for about 25 years but always thought it sounded thin and too bright. Has anyone compared it to the AM+ series release? (Both discs were released the same year so I'm curious if there's a difference.)

6. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

I don’t have the MFSL release, but I do own the German AM+ CD and a Dutch LP pressing from 1974. The CD doesn’t sound thin and bright at all in my player. Actually, it’s one of the better (maybe even best) sounding CDs I own. Very warm and mellow sounding. Until recently it even beat the LP, but since my latest turntable upgrade the LP sounds even a bit beefier and warmer.

IMHO this album is very well recorded. Both releases above are reference items when trying out gear, but also in deciding if other albums are sounding nice. A while ago a friend of mine was raving about a new album he bought on LP. I thought it sounded compressed and he didn’t agree. Then I made him listen to my Powerful People LP and he suddenly understood what I was talking about.

7. I have four of his albums and they are all well recorded. Gino and his brother Joe placed huge emphasis on production and recording quality and the results are evident by their collective output.

8. Vinylfindco

Di
    It’s one of the best discs to demonstrate what dynamic range is all about. I can’t think of many discs that go from a whisper to full throttle in the most stunningly realistic way.

ispace likes this.
  9. Vinylfindco

I wonder if a One Step version could even top it. It’s that good.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. Vinylfindco

Listening again to this today. I've changed speakers since last time and wow it sounds great on the budget Elacs (Debut B6.2). Not missing having to have a sub. Plenty of bass. My favorite original MFSL. What a show off disc!

steve722 likes this.
  11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i had the pleasure of seeing him ontour for 'gist of the gemini' and he played most of 'powerful people' too. he was stunning to say the least.

12. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I've never heard this album, and will have to sample it tomorrow when I am on a computer with speakers. I looked it up on Allmusic.com just now (who are known for hit or miss reviews) and discovered this take:

The music and singing are pleasant enough on this Montrealer's second outing. He avoids embarrassments like "Mama Coco" from the following year's Storm at Sunup, but lyrics are not his strong point. This release includes two of his stronger tunes in "People Gotta Move" and the title track. His heart is in the right place, as in a tribute to Jim Croce. Still, Vannelli should have left social commentary to others, or joined forces with a better lyricist.

Not exactly high praise! But I will check it out anyway...

13. steve722

steve722 Forum Resident

Could not agree more!

14. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

The music and recording are superb.

deredordica likes this.
  15. Vinylfindco

Keep in mind the streaming version will pale beside the MFSL disc.

deredordica likes this.
  16. tspit74

tspit74 Senior Member

Great music on any format or mastering. A&M was a quality label. As much as I love my MFSL pressings, the stock copies sound fantastic as well. Saw Gino live earlier this year. Still great. Don't hesitate if he comes to your town.

Yost and oldsurferdude like this.
  17. BearOnTheMountain

BearOnTheMountain Active Member

I've had them both and they are the same. I can't say that I found them to be thin or bright.

I still have my MFSL release of it but I don't have a turntable to compare them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.