Why no 'USA' Prog bands made the big 5?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Half of the 1980s King Crimson was American. That’s gotta count for something! :)

2. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

Grateful Dead - did everything

3. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

That's a good observation - technical prowess without the romanticism. When I think of American prog, metal bands come to mind. I dig some of them, though...

Mastodon
    Coheed and Cambria
    Animals as Leaders
    Fates Warning
    Queensryche
    Zero Hour

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

IMO, the best North American prog rock band/artist is Neal Morse, and he didn't hit the scene until the mid 90's, long after the Big Whatever had been established.

Ivand, vegafleet and mark winstanley like this.
  5. John54

John54 Senior Member

I think the overall quality of American rock / pop declined precipitously at the very end of the '60s. The British managed not to decline at the same rate, and the Americans passed them on the way down.

6. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

My favorite North American prog came from Québec, from a band called Harmonium. The music was gentle and pastoral, more folk than rock. I think they were right up there with the English and Italians.

For fans of Anthony Phillips-era Genesis and PFM's quieter moments, Si on avait besoin d’une cinquieme saison is a beautiful album.

NorthNY Mark, Sean, garysb and 5 others like this.
  7. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yeah, but...

We all know who pushes the buttons in that band.

:cool:

Sean, garysb, mark winstanley and 2 others like this.
  8. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

There were worthy bands. They just couldn't make a living at it here in the states, with rigid radio playlists and love of top 40 pop and dance music. I am amazed that I find every so often prog leaning bands that have flowered (and died) locally, in my mid-sized town in Ohio, that never got any buzz in the press. Then again American press has been telling me not to listen to prog for my whole life.

9. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Bob keeps saying hes just one of the boys in the band...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    gd0 likes this.
  10. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I agree..I left that part out..Top 40 radio and bands that guaranteed cash were signed first...little room left for true talent when radio was king pre MTV...

VinylMario and Crimson Witch like this.
  11. Yufri

Yufri Forum Resident

I think your observation is spot on. I never thought about it that way, but it seems that the cultural heritage plays a big role. European Prog, allthought heavy rooted in Blues, R&B and Jazz (all american influences) draws its main influence in classic musical themes, which is mainly an european thing.
    I think the most original american Prog band is Kansas. Kansas somehow manages to incorporate their american musical roots into their music. Neal Morse and Spock‘s Beard went a similar way. I also think that Tool is one of the greatest Prog bands of all time, but I think they were strongly influenced by King Crimson. Both bands usually avoid any blues patterns in their music.

12. Fusionfan

Fusionfan Forum Resident

Americans who were good at their craft and instruments would be much more easily drawn to jazz and fusion.

Look at Zappa's lineups for example with Brecker and Colaiuta etc.

When you start to get serious in the US, it's more of an obvious draw.

Crimson Witch and ParloFax like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Not a whole lot of huge Country acts from the UK either

Efus, Sean, Crimson Witch and 4 others like this.
  14. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

As noted above, Utopia. There are certainly enough people, myself included, who'd rank the first album with any Yes/Genesis/etc career peaks.

Otherwise, the US's main contribution to the prog movement was fusion. Prog changed shape after Mahavishnu and RTF caught on-- Yes "Relayer" being the prime example.

15. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Music was too limiting for Zappa...

mark winstanley and dlokazip like this.
  16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Who were the big 5?

17. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Not enough capes worn in the American prog bands. Automatically invalidated their musical legitimacy.

Octowen, Efus, Rooster_Ties and 4 others like this.
  18. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

19. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Crimson
    Yes
    Genesis
    ELP
    Jethro Tull

(I think)

Sean, RangerXT and yesstiles like this.
  20. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Genesis would not make my top five.
    I'm just sayin'

#1 King Crimson
    #2 Yes
    #3 Jethro Tull
    #4 Van Der Graff Generator
    #5 ELP

Next would be Soft Machine.

21. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Prog was a European genre.

Efus, Sean, ianuaditis and 6 others like this.
  22. Lecords

Lecords Forum Resident

Prog evolved directly out of British psychedelia, and incorporated classical traditions into pop. American psychedelia incorporated its own American traditions into pop—like jazz, blues, and folk—which resulted in something much more reliant on improvisation. So, the US did not get its own version of prog (until later in the '70s, once North American bands had fully metabolized British prog) but we did get an analog in things like the Grateful Dead, Parliament/Funkadelic, and jazz fusion.

23. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

Some prefer replacing Jethro Tull for Pink Floyd, although I personally think half of Floyd's discography is not really prog (the early psych phase, and the latter period from The Wall onwards). Even DSotM is a borderline case, IMO. Might be a good topic for the next thread: "IS DARK SIDE OF THE MOON REALLY PROG????"

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    VinylMario and RangerXT like this.
  24. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

There are other bands not brought up in this thread that have been in my personal top ten of bands, not only prog bands but bands-period. That would be Barclay James Harvest and the Strawbs. I've been buying BJH stuff since the first time I heard Once Again, and with the Strawbs--that would be Grave New World, released in 1972. It's puzzling why BJH didn't do better here in the States, to my best guess the last LP that they released in the States would be Eyes Of The Universe, released in 1980. It is great to see them still cranking out product, my bucket list includes seeing both of them in concert.

Bob J and Crimson Witch like this.
  25. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

prog rock originated in europe right? maybe that's why?
    look at Rap and grunge which originated in the states. The best in those genres are american.

DaverJ and Kingsley Fats like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.