Why no 'USA' Prog bands made the big 5?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rufus rag, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optoman

optoman Forum Resident

I agree that Prog evolved from British Psychedelia but incorporated not only classical traditions but also jazz (Soft Machine, Gentle Giant and many others). Also English folk music, Indian and other world musics. Improvisation was also part of British prog. Long solos and showing off technical skills became the norm.
    I tend to view Prog as a short period when record companies were happy to invest in music that was not obviously commercial. When this was mixed with certain drugs and a post war cultural shift it resulted in musicians exploring all sorts of musics.

2. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

Uk artists were directly exposed to a classical tradition that had no background in the US. Long pieces and progressions were part of their heritage, so prog also mirrored that. US music was much more the result of a melting pot from diferent sources. Naturally , the sound of the immigrants, african, european, finally prevailed

RangerXT and guppy270 like this.
  3. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i remember these guys.thought they were British!

seed_drill and Crimson jon like this.
  4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

No mention of Germany. I know a lot of people hear/see Kraut Rock as being all about electonic muisc (Kraftwerk, Tangerine Dream) but there were many bands bashing away on their Hammond Organs & letting their inner Tolkien fly. A treasure chest of undiscovered glory waiting to be found.

In Australia we had a number of bands with serious prog leanings. Getting gigs was always the problem holding them back from sustainability, especially beyond the mid 70's.

5. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It's hard to sound like ancient Greece in Toledo, Ohio. :)

6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

In Britain, and Europe in general, appropriating classical themes and mannerisms would be natural, since such music was a part of their shared culture. In the US, doing something like that looks either pretentious or hopelessly square.

In the US, the cultural "space" of classical is largely held by jazz, so groups and artists that wanted to stretch out tended to gravitate more to that genre: Frank Zappa, the Grateful Dead, Santana, the various horn bands (Chicago, Chase, Blood Sweat & Tears), etc.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  7. Kingsley Fats

Erm. well. It had to didn't it.

The US like Australia is almost all immigrants. The original inhabitants have been marginalised, discredited, ignored & pushed into the background so much that we overlook any contribution they have made to the larger population

8. stanlove

stanlove Forum Resident

All prog rock bands bored me.

antonkk likes this.
  9. raimiz1991inc

raimiz1991inc Forum Resident

Correct, Germany is noteworthy. Eloy and especially Triumvirat are all time favorites. Just another example of the grandiose European approach and mentality of prog music. Mediterranean Tales is one of my all time favorite albums and one of the best produces albums I heard. Up there with the other prog classic definitely.

10. Kingsley Fats

LP records. The culture of american recorded music was built on singles. 3 Minutes to get your ideas out. The early British recorded music culture was regarded as immitations of the real thing until (This SHMF you knew this was coming) The Beatles came along. Suddenly British was hip, American was passe. The Beatles using their massive poularity heralded in the era of the Long Playing record. British Psychedelia --> Prog Rock. The Americans used the expanding playing time in a different manner.

11. Kingsley Fats

I have only discovered the wonders of German 70's music in the last couple of years & need to do a lot more listening & discovery to find the bands that I really like. There is just so much of it that is now easlily available. (same goes with Swedish & Italian bands)

raimiz1991inc likes this.
  12. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Americans have short attention spans

13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I didn't know there were any US Prog bands.

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

what were we discussing?

Someone mentioned Spirit earlier. I don't hear them as Prog but I would
    put them up against the Progs in their heyday.

ianuaditis and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

5-dai purogure bando are
    Pink Floyd
    King Crimson
    Yes
    EL&P
    Genesis

16. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Americans have short...

Phone just rang sorry what was I saying?

17. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It’s A Beautiful Day was heavily influenced by classical music, but do you think they are a prog band?

ianuaditis, jay.dee and Kingsley Fats like this.
  18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

USA prog bands generally are only good when you've never heard of the group - just wasn't a big deal there.

Pavlov's Dog is my favorite but they hardly count.

rednedtugent likes this.
  19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

With that user name, I'm not surprised.

20. RudolphS

RudolphS Forum Resident

In a way, yes. Apart from Vanilla Fudge and Zappa (which have been mentioned earlier), there were more late-60s US bands and artists who used classical influences or had proggy leanings, such as Ultimate Spinach, Ars Nova, The Left Banke's baroque pop, the orchestral psychedelia from David Axelrod, or albums like Electric Prunes' Mass In F Minor, Van Dyke Parkes' Song Cycle and What Love Suite by the canadian group The Collectors. But I guess these names and records simply didn't enjoy enough exposure on a commercial level to influence and kickstart a complete new music genre.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    trumpet sounds and Kingsley Fats like this.
  21. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

the US bands of the 60s were more experimental, specialized, and florid than the british bands, over all. The US had had the psych and cult bands. They didn't need to go through the prog phase.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  22. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

I tend to agree with what Robert Fripp said to Vic Garbarini in 1981: "He [referring to Bill Bruford] was the only musician to play with all of the Big Three of English progressive / art rock bands, King Crimson, Yes and Genesis."

I don't frequently agree with Fripp, but I agree with him about the big three, in alphabetical order: Genesis, King Crimson, and Yes.

RangerXT likes this.
  23. samsondale

samsondale Forum Resident

I think that the American musicians who might have played prog had they even British played jazz or fusion.

Kingsley Fats likes this.
  24. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Who is the biggest (or most authentic) US prog band?

25. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Is it weird that I never thought of Pink Floyd as a Prog Band?

Bob J, grbl, RangerXT and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.