Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Why people prefer physical CD, over high-rez digital version of same release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

I understand from streamers that, with The Beatles for example, you get the 2009 remasters. You don't get the original '87's in the case you want to revisit those - they may have been available at one time but have been removed from streaming outlets in favor of the newer versions. How could I ever survive without the various remasters and remixes that have come out over the years, enticing me to purchase 3 and 4 copies of my favorite classic rock albums. Such is the thought process of this materialistic boomer who is somewhat envious of those who have a much easier moving day as a result of their satisfaction with streaming. I still gotta have my various remasters and outtakes of Lennon singing, "Imagine no possessions".

Crawdad likes this.
  2. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Not everyone who prefers CD and/or vinyl is ignorant of how to play digital files. Just sayin.

3. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

Nobody said that ("everybody"). In fact, my first post in this thread was about how I prefer CDs for my favorite albums as well. Just saying :)

Hammer70 likes this.
  4. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

I didn't say "everybody," either, just "not everyone!" Anyway, I'm with ya. :righton:

Pentior likes this.
  5. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

I'm only partly on train with you here, because I am a non-boomer that also tried to get different releases of some albums. But instead of keeping all these physical, I resell them except maybe for my favorite version. This way, more people can enjoy them.

I greatly approve of your general thought here - it is outrageous that some early masterings are near to impossible to get because the remaining copies are so rare (the >2000$-CD of Wish You Were here was mentioned some pages before). Why not offer an affordable, legal way to download earlier versions? The companies could grab many dollars. Or reissue some people's favorite versions on newly pressed CDs, get a stamp of approval by e.g. Gilmour, while he's still alive, and make a bazillion dollars.
    The CDs might keep being rare, the masterings should not be.

GerryO, Marty T and sharedon like this.
  6. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

^ Great and crucial point about the distinction between masterings and format!

Pentior likes this.
  7. Lexhibit

Lexhibit Forum Resident

I converted to digital and sold my (multi thousands) cd collection a few years ago for various reasons ...so now I have them all literally in the palm of my hand ....but... it's just not the same and I found myself not as interested without the physical vintage CDs and artwork, so I'm restarting my cd collection from scratch its much easier this time around to find the correct cd releases. It's better than before already and I'm only 100 in so far.

8. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Beautifully put - that's really my point. The listening part is exactly the same experience. And I fully concur with the desire to read booklets, admire artwork, etc.

And yes, 'Tales" on MFSL is an immaculate release - I'm not sure any actual hi-rez release (download or SACD) could top it. Though MFSL have done so with some of their SACD re-releases (as our host did too with some of his SACD mastering).

Lexhibit and Pentior like this.
  9. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

That's a fair assessment - I like that you found what worked best for YOU (in all aspects). While convenience is really nice (and what I need in my busy life with work and kids), the intangibles like artwork are a big thing (I felt the same sense of loss when I initially went from vinyl to CD, and everything was so much smaller).

I haven't sold any of my collection - most of it isn't worth huge dollars. But I'll be working with my son to maximize its value at some point (gold CD's, out-of-print valuable ones).

Lexhibit likes this.
  10. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to some day enjoying the SACD of Dark Side Of The Moon and then maybe digitizing it to see if the CD format could handle it. Just an experiment.

It's even more dire with vinyls. Speaking of DSOTM, it will be similar with other albums of that time:

I cannot afford right now buying a well handled first vinyl issue (A3/B3 or similar is often named as a favorite) PLUS a high quality turntable and needle system. I listened to a quite bad vinyl rip once, but even there were certainly many things smoother and clearer than I ever heard on any CD version. I don't wanna be a pirate, illegally searching for a perfect needledrop.

Be EMI or whoever, buy a very well handled and good sounding first issue vinyl, rent the best turntable you can find, the best Analog-to-digital-converter you can find, hire a very good sound engineer with a gun in the back so he/she doesn't compress anything important and release THE ultimate digital 1973-version; costs should be very manageable. Then buy yourself another villa.

Vinyl wears off by playing it. Every time some lucky person listens to one of the first issues, it is less likely that it will remain in existence. Has something romantic, but doesn't need to be.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    Hammer70 likes this.
  11. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

Actually, this was mean of me towards sound engineers. They probably get put a gun in the back to compress more instead of less. I sincerely apologise.

Anyway, coming back to the original topic: if this version was released, I would buy anything, be it CD (uncompressed!), 784kHz/420Bit-Download or whatever.

Crawdad likes this.
  12. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

The 5TB drive was the first I have that doesn't require a power cord. Indeed, the 8TB does. The Cambridge streamer looks like a nice devise - having just viewed a YouTube regarding that unit - but I was disappointed by your note that it only takes DSD from the hard drive. I also see it doesn't have an HDMI input. When I saw DSD mentioned in your sentence on the streamer, I was hoping it would be a potential solution to converting my SACD player's HDMI output to a signal that my lower-end Denon receiver could handle through it's non DSD capable HDMI inputs.

13. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

The Cambridge can act as a pre-amp, using its very nice DAC, but only through RCA inputs. Using the 8GB drive, it does output DSD (I have dsf files extracted from my SACD's). Over the network, it seems to transcode to 176.4 FLAC but I may need to adjust some settings in JRiver on my laptop. My network is strong enough to send DSD over to the player by wi-fi (or I could hardwire to the streamer).

Marty T likes this.
  14. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Forum Resident

I "stream" many of my older classic recordings from my local NAS with even greater facility (and more assured provenance) than from internet sites.

Crawdad and Hammer70 like this.
  15. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

There’s likely some confusion around here between using a streamer (as you and I do from our own libraries) and “streaming services” (where the poster was correct about the limited availability of anything that’s not still in print - either a title or specific mastering)

ARK, Crawdad, Marty T and 1 other person like this.
  16. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Hard drives need operating systems to gain access to their content. In all the upgrading routines and compatibility issues of the Mac OS from Classic 8 to Snow Leopard starting in 1998 to the present I'ld put more faith in the hardware both computer and hard drive over OS software if one wants to archive, backup and retrieve all their music years down the road.

But then why even backup music that was first downloaded in the first place when if by chance you've lost all your music on the current hard drive due to whatever issue with hardware and software?

Just download the music again.

You'll probably be in your '90's by then and at that point listening to music isn't going to be a priority and certainly not hunting for that damn back up hard drive that only operates with dinosaur OS such and such.

xFAT initializing anyone? My USB stick needs this to operate cross platform. What a PITA!

GerryO likes this.
  17. John

John Senior Member

The way I hear it, hi-Rez does better a better job of resolving low level resolution and CD does a better job with emotional engagement. Since I place primary importance on being emotionally connected to the music, I stayed with CD.

My primary format is LP (especially an original pressing) because I feel that provides the best connection to the music.

If the original LP is not to my liking, then I pick up a well mastered CD, (usually those prior to the loudness wars), which I prefer over most current LP reissues for the same reason.

18. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Forum Resident

Agreed but note the quotes.

19. Tim Lookingbill

It's always hard to explain to folks why something is easy for them when they don't consider the little details they skip over that I clearly mentioned in my initial post you quoted from how hard and a PITA it is to navigate a tiny iPad screen or cellphone while forgetting where they left their reading glasses because of the small tiny fonts they use on these small devices including daylight reflection on the screen obscuring view while picking out songs to play driving in their car.

Which brings me to another detail you left out in how that iPad/iPhone works picking out songs while driving down the highway at 70mph in your car. I did mention my car CD player which makes it very easy to navigate to the next song pushing a button, and then pushing it again to skip that song to a better one without taking my eyes off the road.

20. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

Just as a point of reference: my iPad screen is about 25% -BIGGER- (or more) than a CD booklet/jewel case. So visibility shouldn’t be an issue. Even on my phone, the font size of each individual song title when I pull up an album in my network streaming app is generally bigger than that found on a CD booklet/jewel case.

ARK likes this.
  21. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Honestly, I don't think size is the issue. The issue is having to deal with a screen just to play my music. I'd rather not.

22. Tim Lookingbill

How is it navigating your iPad/phone while driving down the highway in your car? Or how is it viewing and navigating the LCD screen in newer cars that don't have CD players, especially if the sun hits those screens? It's one of the reasons I haven't purchased a new car. I hate navigating LCD screens to even adjust my AC.

23. Tim Lookingbill

Just to drive my point even further with a bit of humor...here's me forgetting the name of a song that I'ld like to hear and all I can do is...scroll, scroll,scroll. CRAP! Where is this song?! Scroll, Scroll, Scroll, CRAP! Why do I have so many songs on my hard drive or flash drive or iPad/phone?! Scroll, scroll, scroll...SCREW IT! I'm throwing my iPad/iPhone out the window! DOH! NOOOOOO!

24. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

That depends. Not all sources of downloaded music allow you to download indefinitely. I believe Amazon and iTunes do, bu HDTracks has some sort of time limit. They say they're contractually not allowed to just let people download the music repeatedly, though I see their download app does have a "Re-download recent purchase" option. I don't know what definition of "recent" it uses, though. Presumably you won't be able to download anything that isn't "recent" enough.

25. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

7Digital in the UK also seems to have a limit to the availability of downloads. At least two of my 2020 purchases became unavailable within a couple of months.

EG.

Giobacco likes this.