Dismiss Notice
We are making some updates and reconfigurations to our server. Apologies for any downtime or slow forum loading now or within the next week or so. Thanks!

Why people prefer physical CD, over high-rez digital version of same release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Turnaround, Mar 2, 2021.

1. B. Bu Po

B. Bu Po Senior Member

Good sound isn't everything. Vinyl records sound best because I believe they are best.

2. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

I remember hearing that in a high end audio shop when it came out. They were using that record to demo the gear they were trying to sell. They were also selling that record and some other choice LP's. I was with my dad and he bought that for me, still have it. Another reason I can't part with my LP's - sentimental.

hi_watt, Pentior and Hammer70 like this.
  3. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

The screen is the remote. You use a remote, right? Or do you always just go up to the player every time you want to play a song?

But I respect that you’d “rather not”. Me too - I’d rather not have to fetch a different CD and load it every time I want to hear something. I also like listening to music around the house in different places, wherever I feel like. I have a high resolution portable that I use for walks and runs. I like to put the same music on it too. Depends on your needs I guess.

4. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

I don’t use my iPad or phone while I’m driving … but that’s just me.

Pentior likes this.
  5. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

I like your humour but I’d hate to see you use the Internet to find something. I use Google and type in the search window what I’m looking for. Shockingly, my streaming software works the same way.

6. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

Commodity fetishism - Wikipedia

neo-Marxist analysis has its limits, to be sure, but they have a point here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The top image is a modern repli-Maserati, probably a perfectly nice drive and more practical than the real deal on the bottom which is 1 of only 3 Frua bodied spyders from that era, no doubt temperamental and certainly irreplaceable. Which would you rather have?

GerryO likes this.
  7. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

You misunderstand why it bothers me. A screen and a remote aren't the same thing. If I had a screen with me while listening, I'd find myself using it for other things, like browsing this site. The screen is a distraction, where a remote isn't. But yes, I do get up each time I want to play something. How else will the disc get into the player? :)

Listening to music as I move around the house is taken care of by using Zones on my amp - although I do the vast majority of my listening in a single room. I don't do background music.

8. Hammer70

Hammer70 Forum Resident

The amusement value of the unintentional comedic replies of some older fellas (of which I’m one!) trying to understand how that computer thingy replaces the “way I’ve listened to music since the dawn of time” has sadly come to an end for me. The assumption that a screen can only be present to distract you, that music suddenly falls into the background - is spurious at best, condescending at the very least. But mostly the words of the uninitiated. As I said earlier, to each their own.

ARK, Halloween_Jack and Pentior like this.
  9. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

CD-R's of download-only music for playing in my car. Or for playing from my main rig.

GerryO likes this.
  10. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

Seriously, now people are taking freaking car rides to throw against music on a phone or so? ^^

I've been growing up with CDs inside the car (technically cassettes were my first - which of course felt very much more real than CDs), when I wasn't yet old enough to drive. Nowadays I don't have a car myself but engage in car-sharing. Therefore I drive quite many different low-level models.

A revelation: Nearly all of them have bluetooth connection. This means, the music is played from your phone, which you only initiate once before starting your trip, and you can use the exact same buttons as for CD playback. The buttons on the front panel of your car. Sometimes even small buttons on the steering wheel. No looking at a screen at all :) And if you were clever before starting to drive, you can listen to any number of albums one after another. Explain to me, please, how comfortable and experience-deepening it is to eject your CD, lean over to the right side (when driving alone) to get another CD and try to fiddle the old CD into its case, get the new one out of its case, all with one hand!, while driving on the highway ^^

And about scrolling: They invented a new search function for music libraries, which works by entering text. You know, how you searched your 50+ CDs on the right hand side of your car for the next one you like to hear after being bored by listening to Whitesnake for two hours? Yeah, just type in "Kate B" on your phone and one click away is all the Wuthering Heights you need.

ARK likes this.
  11. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Wrong.

12. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

Could you please elaborate on what you hear, what low level resolution is for you and how High-rez is better at it? Also, could you give examples where it is absolutely sure that it's the same mix/mastering?

13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Forum Resident

I can hook up my iPod via Bluetooth to my car's stereo and play audio from there. My steering wheel has volume buttons and forward/back buttons on the left hand side so I don't have to even look at a screen to skip a song on an album

ARK, Crawdad and Pentior like this.
  14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't own a smartphone. Don't want the internet world following me around outside my house. I'm sure I'll have to get one eventually when they shut down cell tower links to my flip fone.

15. Pentior

Pentior Active Member

Well, I have my internet shut off 99% of the time. All these group-conversation alerts annoy me. So, it's basically a "normal" cell phone with added computing abilities and, in the case of car driving, a very handy way of playing my non-internet-music (64GB!).

I've already advocated for the possession and the enjoyment of CDs in this thread. I just don't want to leave the notion uncommented that CDs in the car, of all things, were somehow the most convenient way.

Exactly

BeatleJWOL, ARK and yesstiles like this.
  16. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I get the high resolution downloads and have stopped buying the cds when material wise they are identical.

17. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Forum Resident

Incorrect. He is right.

18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Nah, I think you're just looking for something to complain about. That some thing affects me one way does not mean it will affect you the same way, but it's just as valid an argument for or against. *I* find a screen distracting, quite why that should be a problem for you, I don't know. It just is. Your comment saying they're "mostly the words of the uninitiated" are indeed spurious. What does it even mean in this context? Are you suggesting those who prefer to put CD's into a player have never experienced using a PC connected to my big screen TV (which I have), a laptop, tablet (which i own) or Smartphone while listening? Bizarre.

Why not simply accept that people have tried things just as you have, and they have found a preference that is different from your own. There's no reason in the world why you should have to justify how you listen to music, any more than it for me to do the same. It's simply the exchange of opinions. I tried using files and streaming to listen to music. I did not like it. I much prefer the process I use now, which we'll call "traditional". Nothing wrong with that, imo. I'm not a technophobe. I'm not stuck in one way of doing things and reluctant to change. I just happen to enjoy it as I've always done it. As I've stated before, I don't personally consider digital files to be a "music collection" in the same sense as those of us that buy physical product. I find files broke my emotional connection to the music, which had virtually nothing to do with the actual music coming out of my speakers, but everything around that. But hey, that's me. You do you.

22 ziggies likes this.
  19. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm sorry you think that. He's patently incorrect and is making assumptions. But hey ho...........

22 ziggies likes this.
  20. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

I'll explain it this way. Some people don't want to type with their thumbs searching for music to play through a BlueTooth connection in their car and that's because some people like myself don't own a cellphone. Also some people who are retired like myself don't commute for hours ride sharing. I only have time to listen to one CD to get to my destination which takes less than an hour. And some folks like myself don't want to listen to earbuds while driving down the road with the windows down. I like hearing my brand new Polk 5x7 speakers I just installed in the back dash of my sedan and it sounds so much better than earbuds.

IOW there's more joy listening to CD's than hunting for digital files online.

21. jkauff

jkauff Putin-funded Forum Troll

I think most people have no concept of music as files. An LP record has a certain number of songs (or a certain amount of music), as does a CD. They're physical collections of music.

Streaming has been successful for the same reason. You just play the music, which magically appears from somewhere.

Do most people understand MP3 and FLAC files? Absolutely not. They're not physical, and they're not thought of as songs (even though they are). Apple came the closest with iTunes, hiding the fact that the songs you purchased were files. iTunes was simply music on your phone. You heard a song you liked, paid for it, and it was now on your phone.

AAC 256, MP3 320, lossless, hi-res 24bit, etc. are meaningless to the average listener. Apple, uncharacteristically, has gone out on a limb by introducing "Lossless", "Atmos", and hi-res on Apple Music. Those are pretty complicated ideas, and that's why you have to go into Settings to enable them. Competition from other streaming services forced their hand, but unless Atmos gets really popular, the average user will just stick with the simple mental model of "songs and music on my iPhone".

Tim Lookingbill likes this.
  22. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

I would love it if MediaMonkey (my "jukebox' of choice) had an app that could be used as an remote control via the phone. Their mobile app is more geared towards using it as an adjunct on a different listening device, if that makes sense. For example, I can stream it via Roku or Chromecast to one TV or another that is hooked to a stereo and still get what I am assuming is at least 16/44 sound. I'm not sure of Bluetooth's capabilities.

23. Crawdad

Crawdad Detroit Rock Citizen

People over the age of 50 maybe.

subzro and chervokas like this.
  24. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

:D

This is true of so much that we discuss on this board. For example, the whole "analog chain" for Vinyl. This can cause consternation on these boards, but do the wider buying public care, or do they just listen and decide if they like it or not? I suggest the latter. We - being the collective of forum members - are in a minority, and our opinions would often be called "extreme" by the mainstream public, imo.

Crawdad likes this.
  25. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Well, that's just generalizing. I'm over 50, I also happened to own one of the very first home PC's you could get (which goes back 40 years or so!) and made my living in IT. I'm not a technophobe or ignorant, and you under-estimate the over-50's.

I think most people look at music today through the prism of convenience, and they simply don't care about the details. Just as there are millions of people who drive cars but could never repair one if something went wrong, so there are millions of people who listen to music and they don't care if it's a file or not, they just want to sound of the music itself. It's a perfectly legitimate way to be, imo.