Revolver is the Beatles' most revolutionary album*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

I just realized the answer to this thread is in the title. The reason Revolver is more revolutionary than Sgt. Pepper is because it's called Revolver. Get it? Revolutionary?

2. :rolleyes:

I don't think it's more revolutionary than Sgt. Pepper, just a much better album.
    Sgt. Pepper caused a change overall for many artists to focus on albums rather than songs, which was a very unfortunate thing.

Rock66, Black Magic Woman and Hermes like this.
  3. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

To me,revolver sounds more heavy in guitars and drums, maybe inspired in the "more radical' stones,kinks,who etc.. and pepper sounds more soffisticated inspired in beach boys's pet sounds. But revolver sounds like, maybe, the most "modern' rock album at 66, while peppers sound colored and psychadelic like almoust all albuns from 67.

Hermes likes this.
  4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Are there any John quotes where talks about Revolver, the album, other than just about individual songs off it?

5. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think for Americans in 1966/1967, Sgt Pepper was more revolutionary because for the first time they were getting a non-butchered LP, the same as what the UK got. So there is that. But in England, I can't see Pepper as being a much bigger statement than Revolver.

6. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I love Yellow Submarine.Always have.

SRC, jamesmaya, Raunchnroll and 2 others like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Tell me Why!

8. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Pet Sounds has two great songs IMHO.
    However, you are right. I also think the first 5 Monkees albums are better than Pet Sounds.
    Disclaimer: I’m a Monkees fan.

9. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Heh. :D

Yes, and also because this conversation about Revolver vs Sgt pepper goes round and round and never stops.

dave9199 and fogalu like this.
  10. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

And today they focus on songs rather than albums :shake:

11. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

For me, Sgt. Pepper's is an undefinable masterpiece, while Revolver is merely a definable masterpiece.

12. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

The reason for that is very simple. It's a five-letter word beginning with 'm' - and it's not "music".

13. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

1963 - "She Loves You"

14. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Definitely maybe...

Electric likes this.
  15. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Don begs to differ...

16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I feel Pepper is a dated masterpiece.I'll bet this sucker sounded unreal in 1967.Revolver has a much more lasting appeal to me.

17. djblaze

djblaze Forum Resident

I agree. PACJ is one of the best of ‘67. Revolver is the Beatles at their best. Sgt. Pepper changed the Beatles into Adults.

Keith V likes this.
  18. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

I was listening to the excellent podcast on the White album (I am the Eggpod, found here) and the writer David Quantick has an interesting theory on why Revolver -- and to some degree, the White Album -- replaced Pepper as the favorite Beatles albums. In the 70s, he notes, Pepper was perceived as "THE best album of all time -- official." So everyone knew about Pepper. But most young Beatles fans in the 70s were first introduced to the band via the Red and Blue albums. And of course there's very little of Revolver or the White Album on the Red/Blue albums.

His theory: "Revolver became the great cult favorite -- replacing Pepper" because young fans raised on the Red and Blue albums "had never heard it." It was something new to discover.

notesfrom, NumberEight and Hermes like this.
  19. Rock66

Rock66 Forum Resident

"Paperback Writer"

noahjld likes this.
  20. bettsaj

bettsaj “I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing.”

Simple answer, to a simple question..........

Tomorrow Never Knows

SRC likes this.
  21. Musically I think its more like Rubber Soul is 10% better than Revolver and 500% better than Sgt. Pepper.

22. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I think of it as evolutionary. Sgt. Pepper wouldn't have happened without Revolver. Revolver seemed more like a natural progression where as Pepper was more left field.

23. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

"Rain"......

Rock66 likes this.
  24. Songs are a LOT better on Revolver.

starduster and Rock66 like this.
  25. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

In my opinion Revolver is the victim of 2 poor mixes. The stereo mix has hard panning all over the place. The mono mix is muddy and lifeless. Sgt Pepper has a solid mono mix whilst the the stereo mix is highly regarded. Sgt Pepper wins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.