Revolver is the Beatles' most revolutionary album*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by manco, Jun 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Exactly. Some people have heard various albums proclaimed as Greatness so many times that they reflexively rebel against it.

2. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

And that's the most sensible thing anyone has yet said in this thread.

3. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

As a 44 year fan, I always preferred Revolver to Sgt. Pepper as an album, but the 50th anniversary box spun a whole new light on Pepper for me. The remix made it more.... invigorating to my ears, and reading a lot of the books and magazines which coincided with the anniversary release gave me a better understanding of what it was like to live the experience I never got to live being born after the band broke up.

Revolver is a great album, but Sgt Pepper as a whole was an event.

4. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

I see you've been listening to the wrong version of the album. ;)

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

"You Won't See Me" is a mono masterpiece!

:righton:

6. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

Revolver had to have been more of a mind blowing experience at the time, right? To this day I think it's amazing how Tomorrow Never Knows has served as the blueprint for so many modern electronic songs. Listen to Setting Sun by the Chemical Brothers. I do know that Sgt. Peppers was tracked on a friggen 4-track...so considering what they were able to accomplish sonically with that album, you could consider it revolutionary in that sense I think. Of course it's a fantastic record as well with some of Pauls best basslines.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Robber Soul likes this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why?
    It's not as consistent.
    I find I lift up the tone arm more with ReVoLVer.

8. 3coloursbeige

3coloursbeige Forum Resident

They're both truly remarkable records. What I would've given to have heard them at the time of release. Right now, as an ageing Britpopper, I give the nod to Sgt. Pepper as the better album for the following reasons: 1) For me, despite Tomorrow Never Knows, side 2 of Revolver is comparatively weak (I only know the UK versions btw) 2) I think Within Without You and A Day In The Life are titanic 3) Yellow Submarine - I get it, I just don't enjoy it.

I think the trend away from Pepper largely comes from the pedestal it has been put upon. I mean, I was even taught about in school. Yuk! How uncool. It may not have been the first concept album - which is what we were taught - but it certainly popularised the form. And, even now, it just sounds so lush - dripping with clarity and inventiveness - and is perfectly formed and structured.

Obviously that doesn't answer the OP, I'm just drunkenly rambling. I'd say the answer is largely down to Tomorrow Never Knows and She Said She Said...

Hermes likes this.
  9. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I think this post ends this discussion. I wanted to add an argument or two, but I think we can wrap it up for now.

10. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Sgt Pepper is a good album, but I came to love Revolver more after some listens.

Don't get me wrong, Sgt.Pepper isn't overrated to me (probably because some overplayed it or just don't connect with it). Its just that Revolver flows more better and it catches my attention more than Pep.

11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Not completely wrong. Before final steps the proto-tracklist of Side 1 was indeed ending with 'She's Leaving Home'.^^

mark winstanley likes this.
  12. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Interesting that you say Revolver flows better, and Pepper’s is labelled a concept album.

13. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Although I love some tracks on Revolver, it's one of my least favourite Beatles albums.
    Definitely in the minority with that opinion, I know.

14. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

To me, yes it does. I like Pepper a lot but it feels disjointed to me, imo.

15. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

Both "Revolver" and "Sgt. Pepper's" were revolutionary. Revolver started the era and Pepper finished it with a vengeance.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I love both albums equally. It's just kind of weird now to see Revolver being more praised on music magazines than Sgt. Pepper.
    And I start to believe Rubber Soul will be the next to be loved more (again) in the press.^^

17. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Revolver is more hard rock, Pepper is more 'chamber music' oriented.

18. manco

manco Forum Resident Thread Starter

Except I count like 10 rock-solid classics on Revolver compared to maybe 7-8 on Rubber Soul. Also 'Paperback Writer/Rain' is more revolutionary than 'We Will Work it Out/Day Tripper'.

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Revolver--A dark and Murky collection of innovative tunes.

SPLHCB--A colorful collection of innovative tunes.

Just another way of looking at these two albums.

mbleicher1 and mark winstanley like this.
  20. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

It's more revolutionary because it took the step of moving on from the unlikely subject matter of Rubber Soul's more interesting songs.
    It then added studio manipulation and strange atmospheres within other songs dealing with psychological states of mind that were not only weird to hear as lyrics, but which were made more unsettling for the listener because of the sound worlds. It is amazing to realise that all involved were on the same page - a producer having to deal with people who were now on different sorts of drugs and helping them to translate things into recorded sound. For me, I am kept at a distance from the album due to the partly 'closed-off' sound.
    It's dry and direct and the vocal double tracking makes things burn into your mind, though I'm not a druggy kind of guy. I can't imagine how those under the influence heard the record.

21. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I love both albums frankly. Both have revolutionary moments.
    I dont prefer revolver because it's cool to. I prefer revolver because of the songs on it and the fact that they are still rock songs.
    Pepper is wonderful, but it only has one song with a dominant guitar (twice). Like i said earlier, although awesome songs, mainly novelty type songs.

Hermes and Psychedelic Good Trip like this.
  22. Psychedelic Good Trip

Revolver was like marijuana.
    SPLHCB was like LSD.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

That explains it then.
    Marijuana always worked for me
    Lsd never did LOL

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  24. Psychedelic Good Trip