Why so very few HDMI DACs?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinny123, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

This looks great, especially w the HDMI option. $2000 plus, not inexpensive.

2. Bob Rapoport

Bob Rapoport Active Member

Hi Vinny, Essence For Hi Res Audio now sells the Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0 Multi-Channel 7.1 DAC for $299. Its listed in this years Stereophile Recommended list and is the perfect way to keep legacy AVRs and PrePro's current to 4K without buying a new one. Evolve II-4K HDMI v2.0 / Multi-Channel DAC - Essence For High Res Audio

Vinny123 and -=Rudy=- like this.
  3. Bob Rapoport

Bob Rapoport Active Member

This is Bob Rapoport responding, my autofill added my wife's name instead of mine, how do I change it to me?
    Thanks Rudy. I still make the Essence HDACC II-4K, the 2 channel version with 4 HDMI v2.o inputs now for all 4K sources and TVs. At $599 factory direct its highly regarded in its niche, THD + N = .00001% at -141 dB s/n ratio, 32 / 384K, OLED display of inbound sample rate, upsampling for lower res content, USB, Optical, Coaxial, RCA and XLR outputs, headphone amp with user selectable impedance matching for all headphone brands, remote control, its literally a giant killer. Lots of testimonials and great reviews, highly recommended by Amir. Thanks for the interest in HDMI DACs, its our specialty.

Vinny123 likes this.
  4. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I own an Essence HDMI DAC which I purchased fr Bob. Great product, sounds great and Bob took plenty of time w me pre and post sale. He’s very knowledgeable and knows what he’s talking about.

Bob Rapoport likes this.
  5. jft

jft Member

Installed a Tripp Lite HDMI Audio De-Embedder between Oppo 103 HDMI 2 and DAC, I don't get any sound when DSD is selected in the Audio Format Setup, playing Sacd. Works with PCM selected only. Is there a conversion before the signal is sent? If I use Coax from Oppo to Dac, I guess the signal will be converted to PCM 24/88 with Sacd?

6. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

When playing a SACD you must set the OPPO for internal DSD/PCM conversion as your De Embedder can only do PCM.
    You will get 88.2 PCM this way ( sounds great to me anyway):)

Stick with HDMI out vs Coax.

For proper SACD (DSD) playback you would need to use either your Oppo's analog outs, a different (HDMI input and DSD capable) DAC.
    EG.........
    Essence HDACC II-4K - Essence For High Res Audio
    BDA3 – Bryston

..............or the latest Geerfab Audio D.BOB ( @ USD 1K ) instead of your current de embedder.
    GeerFab Audio | GeerFab Acoustics

IIRC there was also an expensive "Vanity Card HD" option for certain Oppo models which utilised the DOP protocol over SPDIF.

Good Luck

PS.........Fill out your Equip Profile for better informed responses to your future Posts.:agree:

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  7. jft

jft Member

Thank you for your answer. I guess I will stick to this De Embedder which goes to a Lampizator Atlantic DAC. Limited to 24/88.2 on coax anyway, as opposed to the USB which plays DSD files from an Innuos Zenith.
    Never been too happy with Oppo players when it comes to CD/SACD and analog out (103, 105D, 205). I used modified players from Modwright, APL and Exemplar Audio.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  8. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

Can you recommend the Tripp Lite then?

9. jft

jft Member

Sure, in my case. I have hundreds of Sacd's and that's the only way to play them from the Oppo to the DAC. Next step would be to copy them to the Innuos server which can be done with the Oppo. Looks like a PITA to me ))

Kristofferabild likes this.
  10. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Can anyone confirm that the BDA-3 works with an Oppo HDMI out for DSD? Specifically 2 channel on the Oppo 205?

11. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

wolfyboy3 likes this.
  12. wolfyboy3

wolfyboy3 99 Red Balloons Go By...

Linger63 likes this.
  13. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.