Why the 80s Hate? (Production & Sounds)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Runicen, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Early synths sounded like synths. Musicians either avoided them or used them where they wanted a synth and where they felt that sound was appropriate. A classic example is The Monkees - "Daily Nightly", one of the earliest and still one of the best (according to me). In the 80s synths could sound sort of like real musical instruments and were used and misused because they were new toys or out of laziness. There were also the abominable gated drums. Many later musicians either rebelled or else learned to used synths more effectively and appropriately. Synths don't have to sound cheesy.

2. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Weak music

Horrible recording quality

Too much focus on MTV. Video killed the radio star.

Paulwalrus, keyse1, AidanB and 4 others like this.
  3. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

In terms of music? No...it was an amazing decade.

4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Basically we went from analog to digital. The digital sounded thin, harsh and just crappy overall. The producers and engineers went way overboard with cheezy sounding reverb and gating effects. I'll never forget hearing ZZ Top's wonderful sounding records, with the most gawdawful 80's reverb tacked onto it.

That being said....there's still a ton of amazing music that came out in the 80's.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Earscape, Jarleboy, Drifter and 5 others like this.
  5. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

I did read some book (maybe a Barney Hoskyns book) where some engineer or producer said that in the 80's they were so full of bolivian and colombian that they couldn't hear properly, especially treble, so they keep on increasing treble frequencies to death. Some collateral effect, I presume. I don't know if it's true but it made me laugh.

McLover, Earscape, duneman and 4 others like this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Me too. I fled all the music that was coming out and spent the most part of the decade collecting more and more albums from the three previous decades.
    I couldn't stand that shrill, squeaky clean, echo laden sound of yer typical 80s productions.

sjaca, Paulwalrus, Ludger and 2 others like this.
  7. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Gated drums, cheesy digital synths, horrid fashion, etc....however, who doesn't like a guilty pleasure!

mark renard likes this.
  8. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I got over my dislike of much of it, but listen to Easy Meat off of FZ's Tinseltown Rebellion, and compare the awful synth horns to his band of 7-8 years earlier with the Fowlers and Napolean Murphy Brock playing actual brass and reeds. Synths shouldn't have been used to replicate (badly) the sound of other intruments. They sound great when they're used as an actual lead instrument ie. Tangerine Dream. Synthesied drums worked well in early hip hop, but sounded terrible when 60's and 70's relics were using them to sound "current."

9. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

I think the biggest problem with 80's production is that it sounds too polished and clean, sometimes you need that grit and warmth.

10. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

Sidenote: Even with 80s production flaws at times, I much preferred the creativity and diversity of that decade over the stale corporate rock of the 90s: Creed, Everclear, Nickelback, etc. Even the grunge scene for all its glory was a downer...the 80s was a party!(disclaimer: I went to college in the 80s).

11. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Mid-late '90s high school and college student here. People forget that '90s pop radio was pretty diverse and awesome in its own right. STP, to TLC, to the Cardigans, to Meredith Brooks, to Rancid, to whatever quirky one-hot wonders were happening. That's the '90s I remember. Pretty diverse.

12. tubesandvinyl

tubesandvinyl Forum Resident

Best thing about 80's music was seeing Susanna Hoffs in videos.

sjaca, The MEZ, SirMarc and 11 others like this.
  13. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No. It was the pits. I was there.

14. bocajoes

bocajoes Well-Known Member

Electronic drums, synths, which I can get past, but what I have the most trouble with is the "arena rock" sound. In the 70's, recording studios were quiet and it was rare to hear a reverb-laden album as a result (unless the verb was placed in during post-production.) In the 80's the tide turned and producers loved to make everything sound like it was recorded in a 20,000 seat arena.

Comet01, Elliottmarx and tremspeed like this.
  15. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Concise, spot-on answer, thank you.

Northwind, Elliottmarx, mikee and 2 others like this.
  16. Aris

Aris Labor Omnia Vincit

It was a new age that emerged after the Punk movement. Do it yourself, experimentalism and improvisation were all around and nobody cared about sophistication. The artists themselves were deeply active during the production and were they, who set the scenario to the producers and not the opposite. Out of curiosity the eighties paved the road to the nineties' sound, Punk, Alternative Rock, Hip Hop, World, Dance... etc.

The eighties were like a child growing up and learning... after the meteorite called Punk that hit the Earth in '76. The eighties were awesome and a great experience.

Earscape, Echo, snowman872 and 2 others like this.
  17. qJulia

qJulia Forum Resident

Is there a general consensus that 80s music is bad? maybe on this forum. Pop (R&B, dancing music) instead of rock is the predominant form of popular music in the 80s. So if you prefer rock and guitar music, you would naturally not appreciate 80s music. But 80s music is making a big coming back lately. So it may not be as bad as some of you try to make of it.

Jarleboy, LRP99, ziggytvs and 3 others like this.
  18. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

80's producers seem to have decided that layering music with an artificial sheen was a good idea.

19. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I luv a lot of 80s stuff but there was a drum sound (thak thak attack with no bass foundation) that became prevalent right into the 90s that I dislike. You'll know when you hear it.

20. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I love the 80s and the sound of these old recordings.

21. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Hmm, Deja Vu, another thread about 80's production values
    Once again- I love it :D

22. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

This! :agree:

Plus Synth Drums are the worst-sounding instrument(s) ever!

23. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Nooooo, totally disagree the 80's guitar-sound was the best. Full register, screaming at you sheer power!

Listen to a modern metal-album and it's mostly "Crunch, Crunch". Just a whole lot of bottom and no top. Everybody seems to use that godawful preset, eq, amp, mic position or whatever it is.

Weight you get from the bass, not from the guitar. :D

stay crunchy likes this.
  24. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Dio with Sabbath (plus solo Dio)
    Blizzard of Ozz/Ozzy solo
    Iron Maiden
    W.A.S.P.
    Duran Duran
    Kim Wilde
    Joy Division/New Order
    Echo & The Bunnymen
    Psychedelic Furs
    Gary Moore
    Metallica
    Prince
    The Police
    Pat Benatar

Great stuff from Fleetwood Mac, Judas Priest, KISS, Blondie, Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Scorpions, Heart, Whitesnake, Deep Purple

A fantastic decade for music.

25. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

that Fairlight synth ruined some great Gabriel tracks and enhanced some others

THe Talking Heads used the pallet differently and vary sparingly
    live bass, drum and guitar more prophet five on top - they didn't really use much of the 80s sound

Yes had their biggest hit with the cheezy synth sound