Why were there such drastic changes made to Google images?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, May 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Until a few months ago I used to be able to hover the cursor over the image to see how large it was. Now I actually have to open it to get that info.

And the if I chose to save an image, in many cases it is not the size it says it was.

I am getting to recognize those latter cases, because they are slightly blurry in the preview pane. Has the original image been deleted?

2. John B Good

Well, I have a theory. Crazy kids with make-work fakework jobs in technology like to change things up?

3. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I would have to find the links, but it was mostly because of Getty Images, IIRC.
    They were complaining about their photos being easily stolen on Google Images.
    So, instead of dealing with their whining and a possible lawsuit, Google just changed things to make it harder to directly download pics.

It's ironic because Getty has been accused of stealing pictures on the regular in the past.

Edit: Yup, my memory is correct.
    I know this is an old article, and they made changes a few months ago, but I'd still bet it's related to this.

4. John B Good

Thank You!

Damien DiAngelo likes this.
  5. Bob_in_OKC

Bob_in_OKC Forum Resident

The image search at Duckduckgo seems to be more like Google used to be.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

In Google images, it used to be easy to grab a photo and repost it elsewhere, like in a forum thread. Then some time ago, it became a hassle.

Then I discovered that (like Bob said) I could still post images easily from Duck to Go.

I wonder if Google got some complaints or something and changed the interface to forestall possible lawsuits.

7. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

While I use both, I find that Bing usually produces better image search results than Google.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.