Why weren't the Raspberries bigger?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no opera star, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tappioha

tappioha Forum Resident

If ELO has made this....

Lightworker likes this.
  2. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

When (approximately) did you first hear of them?

I first learned of them in 1992 or 1993 when I read glowing reviews of Big Star in the 1992 version Rolling Stone Album Guide. Had never heard of them before. At that time I lived within easy driving distance of the Princeton Record Exchange, and lo and behold they had a 2-fer of #1 Record/Radio City, which had been released in 1992. I was amazed at what I heard -- although it took me a little more time to get into Radio City.

3. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

...they would have over-produced it.

tappioha likes this.
  4. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Great attitude

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  5. tappioha

tappioha Forum Resident

Very strong maybe, but it would have been a hit single. Very Lynnesque melody etc.

Lightworker likes this.
  6. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Yeah. It's kind of sad. Ardent, and its distributor Stax at that time couldn't pay to get records on the radio like the big boys. So Big Star hit the music scene with a non-audible thud. I often wonder what would have happened if there were deep pockets behind Big Star in 1972?

Lightworker likes this.
  7. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

1974 for me

8. Consider that this wasn't their choice to make a first I pressin just random do dan luck that you heard a song you hate. Heck, listening to samples or streaming isn't going to cost you anything. There was one band I felt this way about amd a decade later I regretted my decision not to investigate more as I never got a chance to see them live.

9. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

That's fantastic, you were lucky.

There's a longtime DJ in my area (DC area) who also knew of them in 1974 by way of their Long Island radio station concert (he grew up on Long Island, but DJwise he has always been in or around DC). I didn't ask him about Big Star until earlier this year.

RickH likes this.
  10. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

The Raspberries set me on a course that would include, Starz, Shoes, and Big Star. They gave me the gift of Power Pop, and I'm forever in debt.

RickH likes this.
  11. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I was a fan of Eric Carmen's solo work in the 70s; when Columbia House put the 4 Raspberries LPs on sale for $2.99 each, I ordered them. I still love listening to my MP3s (legally downloaded) of the albums (the CDs were too expensive).

12. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

About a mile and half from where I sit there's a bar in Kent called JB's. The Raspberries used to play a regular Wednesday night gig there. That spot was previously held by Glass Harp. Before them it was the James Gang. Good music here in Kent when I was young.

13. Because they weren't better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.