Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Jay Bennett could well have something to do with that (chords). Via Chicago and When You Wake Up... are all Tweedy but Bennett has co-writes (and actually wrote all of My Darling) on all the rest (well, just a bit on In A Future Age).

2. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Definitely a factor.

Speaking of Jay, did he go overboard on the bridge to "Summer Teeth"? Well yeah, he did. A bit. Probably could have used one less synth/keyboard overdub, or at least a less obnoxious mix. No one said this album is without its excesses! Still a great song though.

3. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Well, certainly. But let's not forget Hummingbird is all Tweedy. And it has more than its fair share of chords (20 on my last count!)

4. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Wilco could make albums like AM and Being There in their sleep. They took a sharp left turn starting with Summerteeth and continuing with YHF and AGIB. I think many of us would love for them to re-visit their Alt-Country roots one more time for old-times sake. However, I don't think that will ever happen. Certainly not for entire album.

rancher likes this.
  5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

We saw that show at the Ace. It was really fantastic and intimate! It did sound really great.

6. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I think with the Summerteeth album, the rule of thumb is, "Jay giveth, and Jay taketh away" in terms of production - over and under, or right on target. He clearly had a field day, as did Jeff, cutting loose and taking chances. Some worked, some didn't. I still think it's a brilliant album, regardless.

As I noted earlier, I hear so much of "poppy" Lou Reed in this track. Think VU's "Who Love the Sun." Sunny sound for mildly depressive lyrics.

7. Alfie Noakes

Alfie Noakes Not Dark Yet....

I was there as well - and agree it was one of their best shows that I've seen

8. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I'm experimenting with track placement, like trying "Summer Teeth" in the #4 slot in place of "We're Just Friends," or putting "Candyfloss" before "Summer Teeth" like on the advance copy, and moving "nothing'severgonna..." to the end, but I think it also would've been nice to end the album with the "ooh-oooooh, aah-aaaaah" backing vocal of this title track. It's not one of the most memorable songs, which is odd for a title track, but I like the breezy, summery feel.

The noisy section of "Summer Teeth" would be better if they had gone for dreamy/surreal more than abrasive annoyance, though. I get that Wilco likes to muss up a song, and often it works to great effect, but here the result in that section just doesn't sound good to me.

9. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Summer Teeth"

As a change up, this one has a less busy production, which works well its favour. A light, enjoyable tune set against a depressing lyric. Not quite sure what to make of it, especially considering that odd burst of keyboard sounds in the middle, which doesn't seem to fit in here at all. It's as though someone just couldn't leave well enough alone. A song I think I might like, but it never quite gets there.

awsop, Zeki and frightwigwam like this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next we have the final 'proper' song on the album before the extras:

In a Future Age

I mark 'In a Future Age' down as one of the most genuinely pretty songs in Wilco's catalog. I just think this is gorgeous. The main riff is contemplative and gentle and I just love the sound of it on that acoustic piano (once again, piano is my favorite instrument--it's hard to beat well-recorded piano for me). The vocal melody is also wonderful and Jeff's voice has that late night husk to it here that really adds to the feelings of nostalgia and sweet sadness. Then we have the sawing cacophony that comes in on the second half, but I like it a lot. This song reminds me a bit of Automatic for the People era R.E.M. That same sweet melancholy.

By the way, tomorrow we will cover 'Candyfloss' and do final wrap-up thoughts on the album. Thoughts on the remix of 'A Shot in the Arm' can be folded into that. I don't want to devote an entire day to a remix of a song we already covered in depth. We are nearing the end of Summerteeth...next up will be Mermaid Avenue Vol. 2.

11. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

In a future age
    A nice whimsical piano and acoustic guitar.
    I like the drum/percussion accents an the way they work with the vocal delivery.
    A nice album closer, that leaves us with a peaceful feeling after an album that really pushed and pulled the emotions around quite a bit.

12. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

It sounds as a song of acceptance of today and hope for the future.
    It has the right tone for it with all the strong Wilco ingredients.
    It would have been a very proper last song of the album.

13. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

In A Future Age: a late night wind-down, Sunken Treasure-tinged closer. And I think it really should have been the final song on the album.

14. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Once again, I'm grateful to this thread : I just had my most rewarding listen ever of that song !

This has to be the Summerteeth track that sounds the most like a bridge between Being There and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. A bit like Via Chicago, but even more so, In A Future Age is musically equidistant from those two records. It could be on either one of them and be somewhat at home. It has one foot in the past of the band and one foot in its future. And what’s even more remarkable, is that it is in fact the very concept of the song, its purpose. How great are they to pull it off so gracefully ?

15. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm going to be the outlier here and say that In a Future Age is just an average album track to me. I find it a little repetitive and the melody isn't all that. It's not bad, but it's not memorable.

16. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

In a Future Age is a fantastic song and closer. It may have been mentioned somewhere, but I love how the album opens with "Your prayers will never be answered again" and closes with "Let's turn our prayers into outrageous dares."

As great as the full band version of "In a Future Age" is, I think the Jeff Tweedy solo version is even more gorgeous. It's that atypical tuning he uses that does it for me, which I think he also uses for "Pot Kettle Black" and "Chinese Apple," two of my other favorite solo acoustic songs.

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks. I never would have picked this up. It’s really too bad that the original track listing wasn’t used.

18. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I'm kinda with you really. It's fine and it works, but not a top song for me

19. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

In A Future Age, think we get back to 5/5. Wonderful closer to a wonderful album.

palisantrancho and Zeki like this.
  20. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

That's a damn shame. I am one of those people who still hope to see a UT reunion show someday.

robcar and planetexpress like this.
  21. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Time heals a lot of grudges and hurt feelings so you never know. Business wise, I know they consult and make decisions together.

22. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

AT least maybe they will release that live UT album someday.

jalexander, planetexpress and Zeki like this.
  23. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"In A Future Age"- The perfect closing song for Summerteeth! It points the way to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, while also looking back at Being There. Fortuleo and Parachute Woman both summed up what I feel about this song. Lovely and haunting piano and guitar, nice drum sound, and a great vocal and lyric by Jeff. This would also make a spectacular end to a live show. Does anyone know how often they have play this song live? 5/5

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

33 when I checked at the start of the discussion.

palisantrancho likes this.
  25. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Nice! I just found this wilcobase.com website. It says 44 times (but that includes Jeff solo), and looks like they haven't played it since 2011 in Chicago. They have only closed one show with it (Dallas, Texas- 2004).

Zeki likes this.