Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

"Wishful Thinking" is a nice song, sequenced well in the flow of the album. My guess is that Glenn "wrote" the instrumental intro to get his songwriting credit, but it was probably just a case of Jeff making sure to be generous to his pal. The lyrics are good, but I always had this little joke that you basically could substitute any two words/four syllables into the chorus.

"What would we be without Caesar salad?"
    "What would we be without vinyl siding?"
    "What would we be without honey mustard?"
    "What would we be without cell phone chargers?"
    "What would we be without comfy sweatpants?"

:D

2. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Wishful Thinking"- We have arrived at what I believe to be one of Wilco's finest tunes. This would immediately come to mind if someone asked me my favorite Wilco song. This is a dreamy and gorgeous song. "Fill up your mind with all it can know". I love the lyrics and the style of this song. The instrumentation is phenomenal, from the opening and background electronics, the drums, bass, organ, piano, and guitar strum. I have recorded music and I made a cd of my influences and what I would like my album to sound like. This song is on that cd. If I listen to this song, I have it playing in my head all day long. I have been humming and singing it in my head for a few days now. Everything about this song moves me and fills me with love and joy. This is a perfect recording. It doesn't get much better than this. A sensational 5/5! Here is a sweet live performance.

3. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Wishful Thinking is a very subtle song. It reels you in without you even knowing it. It's kind of sneaky in that way.

4. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Wishful Thinking is a great song. For some reason, and I am not sure why, this song always makes me think of YHF. I need to look at Wilcopedia but it would not shock me if this song originated around that time. It just sort of has that "feel" to it for me for some reason.

As far as Kicking Television, I was not aware it was out of print. I know the vinyl box has long been out of print. I posted about this in the thread about music purchase "regrets." Back when I "re-purchased" a turntable, I immediately began buying Wilco vinyl. I looked at the KT box (which had a side of bonus songs on it), and almost pulled the trigger many, many times. Never did and now it is only available on the secondary market at a pretty stiff price.

I had never thought about the fact that this is the only "official" live record (I agree that the "Ashes" DVD is superb and definitely worth checking out). I know they have a pretty robust Roadcase selection on Nugs.net (and maybe still on Wilcoworld), and they have recently started the "Front of the House" archive series. They are such a great live band - any of those shows are definitely worth a listen.

5. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lol. :D You've got me laughing out loud here--literally.

The war cry of SHTV: What would we be without deluxe box sets?

frightwigwam and Rainy Taxi like this.
  6. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I remember the first time I played the album, I sort of rolled my eyes at the start of "Wishful Thinking". "Oh great", I thought, "here goes Tweedy with his noise rock affectations again. Doesn't he realize how silly he looks doing this?" Over time, though, I grew to love this song. No, it's not a career highlight in the same manner as the previous three songs we've just covered, but it more than holds its own in the middle of the album. I still think that Tweedy was insecure enough (artistically) at the time to feel that he had to rather randomly add noisy dissonance to his most pure folk songs in order to sort of disguise them and make them acceptable to younger folk- and country-averse music critics and some of his peers (on some songs it worked extremely well; other times it seemed forced, as it does here). Over time, I feel like he matured and grew out of that somewhat and just let his songs be what they wanted to be. I love these lyrics and they are the key to the song for me along with Leroy's piano near the end. If this is a bit of a drop in quality from the last three songs, well, what wouldn't be? It isn't much of a drop and we will go back to the highest of heights tomorrow.

7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I think you were clear. I got sidetracked by my own thought, not that anyone has to agree, that a song like "Monkey Man" (Stones) does glorify drug use, and Richards still glorifies it, stating here and there that "he did it for the fans" so they could live vicariously through him. And I think he's insisted that what he did didn't hurt the band.

But I don't think "Handshake Drugs" really glorifies anything. But such songs do have a tendency, I think, to make some listeners, including myself, rubberneck as they slow down to witness the sadness/wreckage/pain, etc.

I think the romanticization of drugs in songs, to the extent it happens, is not all on the listener. Arguably, setting almost, and I stress the word "almost," any lyrical subject to good music can't help but romanticize it. But as I sit here I can think of subjects that can never be made attractive by any music.

"Wishful Thinking." Another solid tune. Where would we be without it? Doing drugs? :hide:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    jalexander, robcar, trd and 1 other person like this.
  8. John C Bradley Jr

"This also features Jeff's immortal "Let's get this party started! With some midtempo rock" comment"

This has sort of become a running joke in my family...

9. Parachute Woman

Well, I adore Keith Richards so perhaps I buy into the myth. :) I never wanted to be like him and I'm a pretty square person (I've never so much as smoked a cigarette or gotten drunk) but I love his music and he's the ultimate rock 'n roll star in my eyes. 'Monkey Man' is one of the best rock songs ever. Great lyrics too, though probably by Mick. "I'm a sack of broken eggs, I always have an unmade bed."

I guess I've got time in my life for that approach and Wilco's approach. There are moral ambiguities but I love classic rock even with its foibles. I just know I have a realistic idea about drugs in real life. All the rest of it is just another form of escapism, which we all need in life sometimes. :D

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

Driving that train...

Anyway, this discussion reminded me of a Bill Hicks bit
    “You see, I think drugs have done some good things for us. I really do. And if you don't believe drugs have done good things for us, do me a favor. Go home tonight. Take all your albums, all your tapes and all your CDs and burn them. 'Cause you know what, the musicians that made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years were rrreal ****ing high on drugs. The Beatles were so ****ing high they let Ringo sing a few tunes.”

― Bill Hicks

11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

"What would we be without wishful thinking?" touches on a theme that comes up a lot in Tweedy's songs ("all my lies are always wishes" obviously springs to mind). Here, it seems like that succinct line came to him, and he found a bit of a melody to go with it, but he didn't really develop the song much beyond that (kudos to @slop101 for picking out the "Heavy Metal Drummer" melody in the verses--yeah, it's definitely there). Maybe that's why Wilco hasn't played it much in concert, and why it seems sort of hidden in the 7th slot on the CD. I like that melody fragment, I like the sound textures in the intro (I guess they were messing with the organ speakers, or maybe attached some effects box to the vibraphone; Pitchfork called it "overcast," but I see a shimmering ball of light), and I like that he sees a responsibility for himself to create art that helps people ("Is any song worth singing if it doesn't help?"), but the song seems like an unfinished sketch to me.

12. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

One thing I’ve never been able to unhear is the little melody on the bass after the “what would be without wishful thinking” line. It sounds a lot like the brass part at the end of the Golden Girls theme. I can’t listen to this song without singing that little bit.
    Sadly many like their faith the same way they like their music... reductive and handed to them in An easy to swallow format. If they’d actual crack open a Torah or a Bible, they’d find there’s lots of content that wouldn’t pass the “is it offensive” test of these silly reviews... including swear words if you take time to learn the original languages and culture.

That said, I started seminary the year this album came out. I had a 3-hour hermeneutics class on Wednesday nights and every week on the break our professor would play Muzzle of Bees in the auditorium PA. Some of us are actually interested in the words...

I almost pulled the trigger on KT back when it was released, but it was a lot of money even then. Can you believe my local chain store had it on vinyl?

13. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Hummingbird"

Yeah, there's a British vibe about this one, but I don't hear Genesis. I'd say it'd be closer to something you'd hear from The Kinks, or even McCartney.

It is a great tune though. Again, Jeff's songwriting is truly expanding. Add to this a wonderful arrangement and you get a kind of eclectic pop song.

"Handshake Drugs"

No doubt a highlight, in some ways this track almost defines Wilco for me during this period. A great little groove and solid melody, but there's a dark side to this that's underlined by the guitar figure. Eventually this leads to the stark, uneasy drone that carries through to the end of the song. Oddly catchy and haunting, and just the way this band performs this is worth every minute.

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

I always loved these lines

Open your arms as far as they will go
    We take off your dress
    An embarrassing poem
    Was written when I was alone
    In love with you

several nice open interpretations here

15. StevenTounsand

StevenTounsand Waxidermy Refugee

Listening now I heard another great lyric bit apropos to SHTV:

“The turntable sizzles
    Casting the spells”

Parachute Woman and frightwigwam like this.
  16. John C Bradley Jr

Before we move onto one of my all time favorite Wilco songs (tomorrow I think), I looked at Wilcopedia tonight and saw that "Wishful Thinking" appears on a YHF containing songs recorded at a soundcheck sometime in 2000/2001. I've never heard that particular boot or the version of this song that appears on it - but it makes sense as I earlier posted that this song has sort of a YHF vibe to it (sorry if this has already been posted).

Zeki, jalexander and frightwigwam like this.
  17. Parachute Woman

Next:

Company in My Back

Jeff Tweedy: vocals, acoustic guitar
    John Stirratt: bass
    Glenn Kotche: drums, hammer dulcimer, percussion
    Leroy Bach: piano, Korg CX-3 organ
    Mikael Jorgensen: Fenix modular synthesizer, Stylophone
    Jim O'Rourke: acoustic guitar

Another one I've always loved. In fact, if I remember correctly, this was one of the major highlights of the album the first time I ever played it. It always just stuck out to me as being an extremely well-made song. Amazing arrangement with those opening (and then closing) circular strums, the full orchestration throughout with gorgeous piano, percussion, organ and synth. And the melody is great and 'sticky' as the kids say. You hear it once, you've got that chorus down. A great piece of songwriting. Here's an interesting quote from Jeff regarding this song and the original intended animal theme of the album:

"I was just trying to project myself into anybody or anything else other than myself in terms of other beings or animals and bugs or whatever. I don't really know what else to say about that song in particular. Other than, even though it's called 'Company in My Back,' it very easily could have had another animal name if I had really stuck to that concept."

The lyrics started out in a poem of Jeff's called "Pure Bug Beauty" (from his book Adult Head--haven't read it). The lyrics to this song are pretty shockingly vivid in my opinion.

I attack with love, pure bug beauty
    I curl my lips and crawl up to you
    And your afternoon and I've been puking

I definitely see this one as a commentary on how he felt like he was bad for his family at this time and that his love was actually harmful to them. The fact that he mentions 'puking' definitely calls up that scene from I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, and just his general unwellness from both the addiction(s) and the migraines. Bugs are creepy crawly and that's how he feels.

Hide your soft skin, your sunshine is sorrow
    Listen to my eyes

Is he begging Susie to believe him and to leave him? He's still sure he's going to die too. "I will always die so you can remember me." Sorry to quote so many of the words here, but I think these are some of the best lyrics on the album, really interesting to interpret. I haven't even mentioned "Holy ****! There's a company in my back." I wonder what you all think he means by that? That he has the support of his family behind him? Or something else?

18. Parachute Woman

Great Kicking Television version. The additional guitar flourishes are cool.

19. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Company In My Back is quite a strange little song. For me the guitars play such a key musical part - strumming, brief loud interjections (right after the "company in my back" lines, gorgeous little lines throughout. The piano also provides beauty throughout. The rhythm section is obviously perfect. The lyrics sound great but I still have no idea what they mean. Anyway, it's definitely a favorite of mine.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Company in my back
    Cool start, kind of replicating a sample.
    The melody line behind the guitars is nice.
    Musically this is excellent. Lyrically it is terribly cryptic.
    It appears to be like some kind of ... almost... anti-love song ... in a way.
    It is like a melange of ideas....
    I wonder if the H.S there's a company in my back, is something to do with pressure from the music industry to perform, record etc... while struggling with his personal issues, and also trying, but apparently failing to be a good husband (from his perspective, as put forward in the song, perhaps, if I am reading it correctly)
    I wonder if the line "listen to my eyes" is in relation to being out of it? The eyes are normally the give away.
    So many possibilities lyrically... too cryptic for me to decipher with any confidence.
    Like it as a song though

palisantrancho, Zeki, rancher and 3 others like this.
  21. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Since I saw this, I've been convinced it was Will Ferrell's interpretation of (and homage to) this song :

Rockford & Roll likes this.
  22. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Company is another great one. I assume it’s about record company pressures and his chronic pain fighting against his desire to do right by his family and his art. The “I will always die” part harkens back to Kamera.

The arrangement is incredible. Lush like Summerteeth but somehow more organic. And now we’re starting to see the Yankee noise fade away for a purer representation of a song that is still fairly abstract. The clockwork sounding ending is really inventive and whenever I listen to the studio version, Nels’ guitar is always in my head as I expect his folks to be there.

With the Wilco book they included some of the backing track played at half speed as Pure Bug Beauty:

23. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Company In My Back

Looking back retrospectively, Jeff Tweedy said this to the Chicago Tribune in 2016:

"A Ghost Is Born" in general is a period in my life where I was not feeling very good emotionally and dealing with anxiety and depression and the things that were starting to be much harder for me to function. And drug addiction was compounding that. I think that in a morbid sense, I had come up with this concept of a record as like something analogous to an ark, like Noah's Ark or something, that I could put enough of myself into this record so that my kids would be able to reconstruct me out of it. It's a pretty elaborate conceit artistically, but like a lot of concepts are, it was something to just hang onto to write and write around and write against this concept. That's why there are all these animal names like "Spiders (Kidsmoke)." There was a song called "Panthers" at that time. There's all this animal imagery on that record because that was in my head that I would populate this record with the animals that are me or something. [Laughs.] It sounds really silly now.

Even "Company in My Back" has bugs in it: "I am attacked with love, pure bug beauty," you know. I was just trying to project myself into anybody or anything else other than myself in terms of other beings or animals and bugs or whatever. I don't really know what else to say about that song in particular. Other than, even though it's called "Company in My Back," it very easily could have had another animal name if I had really stuck to that concept.

link:
    Personal Playlist: Jeff Tweedy talks about the stories behind 10 Wilco songs

24. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Company in My Back - to me is a nice, enjoyable song ,good instrumentation. It is not a Wilco favorite for me, though, and I've never really tried to decipher the lyrics, so the comments above are appreciated!!

25. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I like "Company in My Back." I think the music, melody and arrangement are all nice. I understand the gist of the song, being about a bug or a bee. And "I move so slow from a steady crushing hand" could be a bug's POV of trying to escape a fly swatter. Maybe. But I have to admit, I never could make heads or tails out of the specific line "There's a company in my back."