Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I've seen the band do "The Late Greats" about 9 times, I think. I've seen it as a set opener, a set closer, during the encore, and to close a show. It works in just about any spot.

The only thing I really have to say about the studio version--other than I like it--is that it uses the hammer dulcimer in a similar way to "Company in My Back," to build some high-pitched tension before the release of the next verse.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

The Kicking Television 4x vinyl set NEEDS to be reissued - it was scarce to begin with, and what copies are out there are going for well over $200.

3. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Hearing it again now, I like "The Late Greats" a lot more than I remember. For some reason, the song always bugged me - it was too perky, too poppy, too "look at me aren't I clever and cute". I think I also found the lyrics a bit self-referential and, combined with the poppy melody, something of a ploy to try to get on the radio with a song about songs that never get played on the radio. I was fairly resistant to its charms for a long time.

However, like that girl who keeps on bugging you for a date and then you finally break down and acquiesce only to find her utterly charming, captivating, and very sexy, "The Late Greats" has finally seduced me. I've always liked the way it just announces itself with a bouncy "Hi!" after the 12 minutes of synth drones, but now I find that it packs quite a lot of musical inventiveness into its brief duration. I love the line "the best life never leaves your lungs" - I'm not entirely sure what it means, but it makes me think. After over an hour of songs about Tweedy's desperate state of existence, we finish with a reminder to celebrate the here and now and the magical and transcendent joys that can't be commodified. I'll raise a glass to that notion any ol' time!

4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Overall, A Ghost Is Born is one of my favorite Wilco albums but it's not quite at the top for me. As I've said, the "core" part of the album from Tracks 4-10, is as good as they get to me. I'm slightly less enamored of the first three songs and the last two, although this recent deep listen to the album track-by-track has improved my view of two of those tracks (the album's opener and closer) quite a bit. It will be interesting to listen to the live album next to compare the studio versions of these songs to the (much more frequently heard) live versions. AGIB is, of course, a dark album made at a very dark time for Tweedy. I think that's one of the reasons I haven't revisited it as much over the years as the other earlier Wilco albums. However, there is some staggeringly beautiful music on it and it's great to have been reminded of that via this discussion.

My ranking of the A Ghost Is Born songs in order of preference:

Company In My Back
    Muzzle Of Bees
    Theologians
    Handshake Drugs
    Hummingbird
    Wishful Thinking
    The Late Greats
    At Least That's What You Said
    Spiders (Kidsmoke)
    I'm A Wheel
    Hell Is Chrome
    Less Than You Think

My ranking of Wilco albums (so far) in order of preference:

1. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    2. Being There
    3. A Ghost Is Born
    4. A.M.
    5. Mermaid Avenue, Vol. II
    6. Mermaid Avenue
    7. Summerteeth

5. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Yeah it’s a treat for sure. I think I was lucky to get a copy during its limited run. I think I stumbled on it and just thought “hello I need this.” Then it was gone! It’s a great set!

John C Bradley Jr likes this.
  6. Gabe Walters

I had another thought further to my post about the lyrics to "Less Than You Think." There's a hole punched in the sky revealing less than you think might be there, and a mind that's deadly and dull, suggesting it could be sharpened--kind of a Nietzschean ethic toward human perfection in the absence of God--nevertheless, your mind's a "machine." Maybe your will has never been free not because your mind is deadly and dull, but rather because the machine-mind is a complex organism full of biochemical reactions and electrical signals. To say nothing of recent discoveries regarding how the gut biome affects brain function. Maybe what Jeff is saying isn't that we can exercise our will more freely if we overcome our own mental dullness--maybe he's saying that even if we try to exercise free will, we can't overcome our own biology. It's a thoroughly ambiguous rumination that fits well with the concept of the album, and even moreso when the mind in question is hooked on opiates. It's not just a universal and timeless question on the nature of free will, but a personal expression of an individual mind yearning to break free of addiction.

7. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, and this is where the one track a day analysis (coupled with reading the Tweedy autobiography) hurt this album for me, highlighting things I never noticed in the context of listening to the album in its entirety.

frightwigwam likes this.
  8. Gabe Walters

David Bither, Senior Vice President, Nonesuch Records, as printed in the Alpha Mike Foxtrot liner notes:

I was an admirer but not a deeply knowledgeable fan when I got a call in the summer of 2001 from Tony Margherita asking if I would like to hear Wilco's new album. Much has been made about Wilco's departure from Warner Bros., but it's funny, I never looked at it through that glass. I knew nothing about the trials and tribulations the band had been going through. I had never seen Wilco live and thought they were an exceptionally accomplished band who had made a signature rock record with Being There and an even more intriguing left-field art-pop move with Summerteeth. But nothing prepared me for the first minute of "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart," which I initially heard on a Wisconsin highway, visiting family on an August trip from New York City.

This was music I had been dreaming about without knowing it existed. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was noisy ("I Am Trying to Break Your Heart"), bleak ("Ashes of American Flags"), gorgeously melodic ("Jesus, Etc."), funny ("Heavy Metal Drummer"), heartbreaking ("Poor Places"), angry ("War on War"), and ambitious in the best possible ways. Maybe the naysayers were right, that there wasn't a single: we released "Heavy Metal Drummer" first, because we needed a single, didn't we? It was possibly a mistake--did it adequately represent the multitudes contained by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? Could anything? But this wasn't a record about singles. This was the statement of an artist who had worked his way through three very different sets of ideas over three albums and had arrived at an answer. Jeff introduced new collaborators like Glenn Kotche and Jim O'Rourke to John Stirratt and Jay Bennett and found a perfect alchemy at a perfect moment. Sam Jones filmed the making of the record, thinking he was capturing the creative process of a great American band--little knowing the drama that he would wind up capturing in I Am Trying to Break Your Heart.

I came back from Wisconsin and told Tony we were very interested in talking to Jeff, that Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was a tremendous achievement. August turned into September, and on a breathtakingly beautiful morning, the skies over New York turned from blue to black as the planes torpedoed into the World Trade Center.

Great artists can at times seem like prophets. Eight days after September 11, I was at Town Hall in New York City when Laurie Anderson gave one of the most emotional concerts I've ever attended, where she sang songs, some twenty years old, about seeing the American planes coming, made in America, and shaking her fist at the work of an angry god. In another week, against improbable odds, Wilco also came to Town Hall, singing new songs that everyone seemed to already know about ashes of American flags and tall buildings shaking. Those concerts for me were cathartic in our city still stunned and grief-stricken. For the first time, I met Jeff, backstage--Wilco had not made any decisions about a home for its new album--and I simply thanked him for coming to our city and giving us a chance to share something as a community.

After the tour ended, Bob Hurwitz--president of Nonesuch--and I flew to Chicago to have dinner with Jeff and Tony. Jeff has wide-ranging taste in music and was a fan of some of the composers on our label. I remember him asking if Steve Reich or John Adams would be upset at the idea of a band like Wilco joining the artist roster; we assured Jeff they would not. We found a way forward--Jeff explained the decision to come to Nonesuch by stating matter-of-factly that we had sent him the best box of records. That explanation was a vote of confidence that seemed more than sufficient.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was at long last officially released in April, 2002, over a year after it had been finished--seven months after it had been streamed online for fans--and the band, now featuring Tweedy, Stirratt, Leroy Bach, and new drummer Kotche, toured the U.S. It sold more than 55,000 copies the week it was released and debuted on the Billboard album chart at #13--far and away the best week for a Wilco record since the band was formed and the best week any record released by Nonesuch had ever enjoyed. It was a story with a happy ending.

But it wasn't the end, far from it, and it wasn't all happy. Bob and I were at venerable Sear Sound in NYC two years later to hear the first assemblage of tracks that was to be A Ghost Is Born. I think, in retrospect, of A Ghost Is Born as the first recording of the "new Wilco," the sextet of Jeff, John, Glenn, Nels Cline, Mikael Jorgensen, and Pat Samson that has become one of the most powerful live bands of our time--their performances of songs like "Handshake Drugs," "Spiders," "Hummingbird," "Theologians," and "I'm A Wheel" have been at the core of their live performances for a decade. But Nels and Pat didn't play a note on A Ghost Is Born, and Mikael had just made the jump into the band. Those slashes of Tom Verlaine-inspired guitar on "At Least That's What You Said" were Jeff. That gorgeous acoustic fingerpicking on "Muzzle of Bees" was Jeff. He rose to new heights and opened a door that Nels could step through, seeing Jeff's bet and raising him on the records and tours that followed.

But A Ghost Is Born also was the product of a difficult time for Jeff. Its release was disrupted by his realization that he needed to find a way out of the dependence on painkillers to mediate the effects of migraines and panic attacks that had plagued him for years. The most controversial song on the record, the electronic 15-minute plus "Less Than You Think," told part of that story, and I will admit when I first heard the track that I didn't know what to make of it. At the same time, it felt as if Nonesuch, with its long history of working with experimental composers and musicians, had proved to be the right home for Jeff.

The argument could be made, and I have made it on occasion, that for all the acclaim Yankee Hotel Foxtrot received, A Ghost Is Born is actually an even greater record, that it stared into the eyes of its "perfect" predecessor and rather than blinking, cranked the knob one more turn. Was it "Less Than You Think" that got in people's way? Was it the deliberately challenging sequence, the order of songs in the first half of the album? Time often reveals truths that are hazy when a record first arrives, and A Ghost Is Born has worn well. A Ghost Is Born also ushered Wilco into the pantheon; perhaps making up for overlooking Yankee Hotel Foxtrot two years before, the Recording Academy awarded A Ghost Is Born two Grammys, one for best alternative album, the other for best package.

I saw so many remarkable shows, but perhaps the ultimate Wilco experience was to be had at the Riviera Theatre in Chicago in 2008 when the band played every song they had ever recorded over a five-night run, not repeating a single one. The performance of those six musicians that week spoke to what had been achieved and to the bravery and loneliness of what its leader had done, tearing apart something more than once to finally make it great.

Sky Blue Sky has always felt to me a misunderstood record; no, it didn't scale some of the peaks of its two predecessors, but it is the first recorded statement by the peerless band Wilco had become, and in its blend of folk and rock, it contained some of the band's most indelible songs, from "Impossible Germany" (which would in fact scale those peaks in concert) to "Hate It Here," a song whose story is so compelling that Ethan Hawke explains it line by line to his son in Richard Linklater's film Boyhood.

The band left to form its own label after Wilco (The Album), and I won't pretend it wasn't hard to see them go. Our small team at Nonesuch had worked hard and long for Wilco and loved the music they made. We will always be proud of the association. I felt from the beginning, in thinking about the circumstances surrounding the band's arrival at Nonesuch, that we didn't pay twice for the band, as some liked to say about the move from one Warner company to another--we just put a modest down payment on the privilege of working with America's greatest band in the first decade of the 21st century.​

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Tom Campbell, robcar, rancher and 5 others like this.
  9. gjp163

gjp163 Forum Resident

^^Great summation from David. A man that understood Wilco. Thanks for posting.

Gabe Walters and Rockford & Roll like this.
  10. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Today is for conversation revolving around Wilco's official live album, Kicking Television: Live in Chicago, released November 15, 2005 and taken from shows performed May 4 through May 7 of '05. We've already talked about a lot of the tracks, but Kicking Television features more than just A Ghost is Born songs and is fact a fairly lengthy double set. It is also the first Wilco release featuring the now classic six-man lineup.

The shows were filmed for release as well, but Jeff felt that the video sapped the energy from the shows and the full concert has never been released on video. As to the title, Jeff said, "A rock concert is "kicking television." If you're out of the house and with a bunch of people enjoying something together, that's kicking television to me. I don't think very many people, myself included, will ever kick television cold turkey, but I certainly think more people should be aware of what it's doing to them."

The title track was also released as a studio b-side. Here's the live footage of 'Kicking Television'--a searing punk number.

I love this live album. Classic live albums seem to have become a kind of antiquity and even Wilco has moved on to the download/online model for live releases. Kicking Television feels like a last gasp for the great era of double live albums--and with it being two CDs rather than two records it is in fact much longer than a lot of the big '70s live sets. 114 minutes. The performances are great and I listen to this album often and consider it an essential part of the Wilco discography.

What do you all think of Kicking Television? Favorite tracks and moments? Any stories to share from these shows or others from the '05 era?

trd, frightwigwam, jalexander and 5 others like this.
  11. Parachute Woman

The album also closes out with their cover of 'Comment' by Charles Wright & the Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band:

A very soulful performance of a great song with an important message. I love the organ on this. It gives it a churchy feel that I really enjoy. Nels plays amazing fills and I like all the little touches of xylophone (?), and the string setting on some kind of synth. It's an epic closer and it really brings things home at the end of the album.

12. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

"Kicking Television" is my favorite live album of all time. Great performances, great sound quality, and yeah, the vinyl needs to be re-issued. 5/5

13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Kicking Television (the album) was my first Wilco purchase, and I loved it. I still do. I think the performances are consistently first-rate and the sequencing keeps the whole two hours consistently engaging. Is there an irony that my first Wilco purchase was named after a song that tells us to stop buying things? From there I explored the rest of the catalog...

The song is possibly their most punk-sounding track - I like it, but I don't think it plays to the band's strengths.

14. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

You've got to love Comments, another example of Jeff crooning with no guitar in hand !

The 04/05 shows I attended were magical because we could see the band members discovering each other in front of us. I guess it’s like the first months in a relationship, when everything is an electrifying surprise and discovery. They acted like this on stage, blown away by their collective power, stunned by the talent of the guy near them, marveling at their own burgeoning chemistry. How Jeff managed to put this together is fantastic. He understood what he had created (a great band and a serious livelihood), and knew he had to nurture it if he wanted to preserve it.
    Glenn was now his main guy and Jorgensen had proven to be a crucial sonic component. So my guess is John was the main focus : for Wilco to remain Wilco (and not Jeff&co), it was important to keep the one other original member happy, thus the inclusion of his Autumn Defense partner Sansone. The gentleman agreement being that both Tweedy and Stirratt should be equally able to take advantage of Wilco's position and facilities to develop their side-projects. Then there was Nels Cline, who could be seen as the wild card, the extra guy, the bonus player. The balance of personalities was perfect, and it shows on the monster live LP documenting the birth of a band designed to reclaim the whole Wilco history. On the record, you get a piece of every Wilco there is : you get Americana Wilco, experimental Wilco, you get Krautrock Wilco, garage Wilco, poppy Wilco, progish Wilco, noisy Wilco, ballad Wilco, good natured Wilco, weird Wilco, migraine Wilco… This is the new line-up applying the “we can do it all” Being There treatment to their own repertoire. Jeff’s vision was extraordinarily clear and his statement to his fans very explicit : at last, ten years down the line, my band is complete, I have my perfect line-up assembled, so it's time for a live set displaying what we’ll be offering you as a live act in the years to come, should you decide to stay on board with us.
    15 years later, he kept true to this promise, his vision has been proven right. After all the hiccups, who would've bet on it ??

15. dirkster

dirkster Senior Member

Thank you for posting the link to that article, because it says something about the last two tracks of A Ghost Is Born better than I could myself, so I will post the excerpt here and comment on it:

“While I won’t defend all the sequencing, I’ll always defend those last two tracks exactly as they are. To end on “Less Than You Think” is too obvious to me, too equivocal on their important choice to include a 15-minute drone — it would say “go ahead and stop listening after the songs if you want” instead of “if you want to consume our album as we intended it, you will listen to this all the way through.” And then when you do, you get “The Late Greats”, this short, featherlight, super happy rock song about an undiscovered gift about to be buried under the sands of time, which is just about the saddest **** I can think of. It’s a ****ing brilliant decoy, and its placement reminds me of The Beatles’ “Her Majesty”, The Wrens’ “This Is Not What You Had Planned”, Guided by Voices’ “You’re Not an Airplane”, or Neutral Milk Hotel’s “Untitled” (penultimate song, but similar function: heaviness, heaviness, heaviness, heavinesss, BOOM grace.) And yet I’ve heard it called some variation on “just OK” countless times. I loved that. That’s like looking into a serial killer’s dead eyes and mistaking him for a boring person. This whole album was built around that very bait and switch.”

The Late Greats is a perfect song to end the album, and coming after the drone ending of Less Than You Think makes it even better. It’s as if The Late Greats is a hidden track on a CD. Remember how cool it was to discover “Endless, Nameless” at the end of Nirvana’s Nevermind the first time? The CD hidden track became an overused cliche as the 90’s wore on, but it was a neat trick at first. And The Late Greats is also so very meta. It’s a song about a great song that no one’s ever heard - stuck at the end of a CD after a drone that almost nobody ever listens to all the way through. Great move.

A Ghost is Born is a great album. I have never really given it enough time and listens to sink in and absorb, but I have now and it ranks with their best stuff. The cover is cold, clinical and the music inside is varied in length like no other album of theirs. Having two 10+ minute tracks is very unusual for this band, and they’ve not done anything like that anywhere else in the catalog - right? Except for A.M., the Wilco albums I’ve now heard are always notable for the variation of musical approaches however and this album has it all.

The only miss on the album is “I’m A Wheel”, but my solution to that is simply to include the song “Kicking Television”, which I like much better. I’m not booting I’m A Wheel off though: just including Kicking Television immediately after it. Both songs are short sharp rockers and together only go 5 1/2 minutes. To me this doesn’t even affect the flow of the album.

Kicking Television (the song) is great because ..... of so many things. I love it that it sounds like LCD Soundsystem but it’s a year before LCD Soundsystem’s debut album, although they had released some singles. The vocals that sound like they are sung through a phone is totally a James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem trademark. I’m sure James and Jeff both stole the idea from the same place. I love it that it sounds like Television via Richard Hell (or vice versa) and that Jeff Tweedy got guitar lessons from Richard Lloyd, a member of Television.

Kicking Television (the live album) is great too. I’ve heard a lot of it in bits and pieces the past couple weeks. I’m sure that Tweedy wanted to do this album because he wanted to document the new band he’d put together and how they’d been playing all the new material. You really can piece together a completely live alternate version of A Ghost Is Born with all the live tracks, except for Less Than You Think - which many people wouldn’t miss.

Anyway, great album, great tour, great non-album tracks. Next we need to talk about Just A Kid from the Spongebob soundtrack right? That’s another really great tune from this time period. It’s on Alpha Mike Foxtrot and I highly recommend it as well.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  16. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

It's a shame that Kicking Television is out of print (not even mentioned on Wilco's own website store - and yes, they keep listings for out of stock/out of print items). I wonder why?
    But at least the CD can be found used relatively cheap.
    What's the real shame, and what I've mentioned earlier, is how the vinyl of KT is completely unavailable (unless you're stupid rich), as it has EIGHT bonus songs not on the CD, coming from more various albums and fleshing out their repertoire, better representing the band, than the CD does.

Is there someone we can talk to to get this back to press?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
  17. Gabe Walters

We're doing Kicking Television and the b-sides today, right? My vote is to throw "Just a Kid" into the mix as well. It's the first studio recording by the then-new band.

18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Kicking tv is a great live album.
    Everybody summed it up already.
    It's a terrible shame they didn't follow through on the video ...
    DVD or bluray would be an insta-buy for me

19. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Really cannot add anything to the excellent Kicking Television comments above. It's probably my "go to" Wilco when I want to just have some live Wilco to listen to. It really captures the "essence" of a lot of the songs on there. I bought/downloaded a number of shows from Roadcase and I have a Nugs subscription as well but I find myself going back to this record probably more than listening to any of those shows.

And a DVD/bluray would indeed be an instant purchase.

And please, please, please, Wilco, reissue the 4 LP set. My idiocy in not ordering that set when it was available is well documented in this thread...

20. Parachute Woman

Yes! Anything related to Kicking Television or b-sides of the era is up for grabs today. Here's Just a Kid:

It is positively delightful. Jeff has talked about how much fun he had making this with his kids involved. I just shared this with my brother and sister and law as they just had a baby. This is the right way to make music for kids. Children's choirs are usually a hard cringe for me, but it somehow works here. The magic of Wilco, I guess.

21. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

It was too expensive for me at $80CDN when new (not saying that’s not a fair price for a 4LP set, just beyond my price point when the CD version is so much cheaper - I’ve been buying vinyl since the 90s but am too cheap to take the plunge on things like this). My local chain went out of business a few years ago and I wonder what happened to those dusty sets when they liquidated.

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Kicking Television is one of my very favorite and most listened to live albums, alongside Live Rust, Wings Over America, and for the last couple of years, Neil Young’s archival release of stoner/coked out performances titled Songs For Judy.

It has a great sound, you can play it loud, and is a great electric guitar album. I was lucky enough to get the vinyl set, but the CD is what I lived on for years. Get it if you don’t have it.

As an aside, we were excited when the DVD Ashes of American Flags was released but upon watching and listening, it is simply no match for KT as a live document. KT has a vibe that Ashes lacks (and has much better sound mix, and Jeff’s voice isn’t shot).

Kicking Television YAY!!!!

23. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Classic “live” lineup I can accept but I can’t see how the lineup that includes members that weren’t a part of the Being There-Summerteeth-Yankee recordings...that I think are still generally considered The Classic Albums, usurps the group that did the recordings.

It’s not a matter of longevity as evidenced by the other long-term thread I’ve been participating in where “the new guys” have been in the band for 30+ years vs the “classic lineup” that may have been together for 3 or 4 years.

Anyway, just a wizened old-time fan speaking into the wind. :D

24. Gabe Walters

Now spinning Kicking Television. Not to rub it in, but the vinyl set was cut by Bernie Grundman and pressed at Pallas. It's wonderful, and it really does need to be reissued. I was penniless when it was first released on vinyl but I bought it anyway and it's traveled with me for ten years.

I just finished the first side, which includes "Company in My Back," "The Late Greats," and "Hell Is Chrome." With Nels and Pat in the group, these songs get some meat on their bones, including Nels' lead guitar workouts between lines in "Company," a multiple-guitar attack in "The Late Greats," and "Hell Is Chrome" becomes a '70s AM radio blue-eyed soul revival. By the time these shows were recorded, the band had toured throughout the latter half of 2004 and had gelled as a unit. Jeff had put together his band that could play with one mind.

Going through AGIB over the last week or two was like rediscovering an old friend. I simply hadn't listened to it much since Kicking Television was released. Now listening to the live versions of some of these tunes, I'm reminded at how much more life they have compared to their studio origins.

25. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I got it for half price at Sunset a couple of years ago.

Should also be noted that the vinyl version is longer than the CD one (8 extra tracks)

Another Man's Done Gone
    How to Fight Loneliness
    Theologians
    Kamera
    Just a Kid
    Monday
    Outtasite (Outta Mind)
    I'm a Wheel

Great live album and the sound quality is outstanding.

May be their best album actually.