Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. GlenCurtis

GlenCurtis Forum Resident

Black Moon is a great example of how the sum of an album can be greater than the individual parts. Taken alone, Black Moon is a good song, though not distinctly memorable. However, taken in context of The Whole Love, it is a welcome contemplative pullback, a chance to slow down the heart and reflect between two energetic pop gems. Perfectly sequenced, this thoughtful song brings its own genius to party.

And I love the strings in the released version, great counter balance to the plaintive slide guitar. 4/5

2. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I love Relics! Great album and you get bizarre rechanneled mono/fake stereo versions of Arnold Layne and See Emily Play. The one I grew up with has the alternate cover. I wore this record out, actually and now own the version above.

GlenCurtis and dirkster like this.
  3. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Dawned On Me: I really love this song and it’s fun live, but like others I think the band missed an opportunity for a classic guitar solo and I really dislike the solo they settled on. They could’ve gone in so many cool directions that the one they settled on feels like a cop out. Like the sax solo in Lady Madonna, kinda....a waste of a moment.

rancher and Rainy Taxi like this.
  4. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

On many albums Black Moon would be my favourite track, but there’s some really amazing stuff on Whole Love, that it doesn’t make it to the top of the list here. Nothing against the track though. It’s a stunner and the kind of Wilco track I’m drawn to the most.

Editing my post... I wrote about it as somewhere between SBS and Ghost, but that’s Rising Red Lung. Second time writing up on songs on this album where I confuse two songs! But these two definitely are a pair. Black Moon is the one that stays quieter with the weeping slide guitar and symphonic string part. Gorgeous.

Good points above about similarities to Black Eye (my favourite Uncle Tupelo track) as well as the style Jeff would develop moving forward. I definitely hear echoes of this one on Warm/Red Brick from the Warm LP.

The deluxe album contained an alternate version. Like the alternate Art of Almost it’s not that different. Just has the strings removed as I recall.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Black Moon"- I always liked this song, but I completely fell in love with it this week. This live performance is gorgeous. Not sure what to say, but it's a beauty. The fingerpicking and strings gently recall Nick Drake in its poetic and soft brilliance. I remember Jeff saying that "Pink Moon" is one of his favorite albums, and here we have a little "Black Moon" salute. 5/5

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

For me, the production saves "Black Moon." I'm not sure what this would be as a spare, acoustic number, but I don't have to care about that, because there's a lot going on in this track. There's a lot of capital "A," Art on The Whole Love, which is part of the point of this album, I believe. All the pieces have come together so that this outing is more than the sum of its parts. Every track has been great Wilco, thus far.

It's hitting me in the Wilco feels. :D

7. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Anyone who has written off new Wilco should give the ACL performance a shot. I listen to that one regularly.

Black Moon always reminds me of this 90s tune, especially their unresolved endings:
    https://youtu.be/0tyLGi2LtlU

palisantrancho and wavethatflag like this.
  8. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Love World Party!

John C Bradley Jr and jalexander like this.
  9. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

(That video) Looks like our air quality here in the Pacific Northwest. Thankfully, clear air now.

10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Art Of Almost"

They come out of the gate with both guns blazing. No pretense, no apologies. This is all atmospherics and attitude, and the comfort zone has been blurred.

From a personal standpoint, this is the kind of piece I can easily find myself getting into, regardless of the artist. That quirky electronic burble alongside that pulsing, loose rhythm underneath, and that wash of keyboard throughout give it such a solid imprint. Cline's guitar work adds a nice contrasting edge to the main body of the song, great stuff. Overall, it represents a fresh start on this album.

"I Might"

Something a little bit more familiar, a sort of readjustment after the opener. An energetic pop/rock tune, which reminds me of Squeeze in an odd way. I like the groove and the melody, and Jeff's lyric reflects the fun and tongue-in-cheek tone of the music. A top notch track.

11. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Sunloathe"

Possibly one of Jeff's more melancholy compositions. Of course, what keeps it from slipping into a maudlin commentary is that curious way Jeff has with words, and an arrangement that sparkles rather than drags things down. There's also a bit of a Beatle-ish vibe to that closing section that gives the track a lift, perhaps hinting at better things to come.

"Dawned On Me"

A particular favorite of mine. There's that great little melody, simple but effective. The band is really sounding good here too. It could come across as a simple pop tune, but there are those guitar and rhythmic accents throughout that elevate the track into something more interesting.

Funny thing though, the opening section reminds me of The Rutles' "I Must Be In Love". :laugh:

The video is a hoot. :D

12. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Black Moon"

Reasons Why I Like Wilco: No. 327

There is a haunting sound to this tune. It all comes down to the arrangement. Those brooding strings create the perfect atmosphere behind Jeff's performance. The guitars add another layer to that moody soundscape. I really enjoy getting lost in this track.

13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I have always liked Black Moon, but my relisten here was very worthwhile. Sweet and understated, Wilco doesn’t always have to be power pop or experimental

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I missed "Black Moon" by only a few nights in 2012, and it's only been played seven or eight times since. Bring it back, Wilco! It's lovely.

palisantrancho likes this.
  15. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Interesting. For me this is a very late night song. I remember that not too long after the album came out, I had to travel to a work site in Mammoth Lakes, CA. The best way to get there for me was to fly to Las Vegas, rent a car, and drive. I arrived to Las Vegas in the evening and had about a 5+ hour drive ahead of me. About 2/3 of the way along the drive, I was on a narrow 2-lane road crossing a high (around 8,000 feet) desert valley in eastern California, north of Death Valley. It was past midnight. I hadn't seen another car for an hour, at least (and wouldn't for the next 45 minutes to Bishop). A light snow had just fallen and the night air outside was frigid. I was playing a Wilco playlist in the rental car on my iPod. "Black Moon" came on and I was, at that precise moment, treated to a view of a nearly full moon emerging from out behind the clearing black storm clouds, illuminating this desolate, unpopulated snow covered valley (Deep Springs Valley for those who know the area) and the mountains surrounding it. It was a beautiful view that was all the more special for the lack of any other person witnessing it.

As you might imagine, "Black Moon" is my favorite song on the album and one of my favorite Wilco songs period. For me, the song is inextricably tied to the image of that midnight vista that is forever lodged in my memory. The song is simply gorgeous. Unfortunately, they haven't played it at any of the shows I've seen since it came out.

(And I'm far more of a late night than an early morning person anyway.)

16. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Born Alone

Jeff Tweedy: vocals, acoustic guitar
    Nels Cline: electric guitar, slide guitar
    Pat Sansone: electric guitar, percussion, vocals
    Mikael Jorgensen: keyboard, synthesizer, piano
    John Stirratt: bass, vocals
    Glenn Kotche: drums

'Born Alone' is a nice blend of melodic rock 'n roll with something more charged with anxiety and tension. There are a lot of guitars on this song and this is a highlight of the album for Nels, getting quite a bright, ringing quality in the unusual riff that propels the song forward. It's a really good song though has never been a huge personal favorite of mine for some reason. I like it a lot, I always enjoy playing it, but when I list my favorite tracks from The Whole Love, this one isn't usually first out of my mouth. John Stirratt is excellent again with great bouncy bass and there is a lot of energy overall. I like this track, I just prefer I Might, Dawned and Me and (later) Whole Love for the really melodic songs.

Maybe part of that is the fact that I find the lyrics almost completely impenetrable on Born Alone. Jeff said it was a combination of words he had collected and words from Emily Dickinson and other 1800s poetry. The result feels like cut-up wordplay with some good tongue-twisters ("the fury so flattered by the fate") but not much that I can cling to for meaning. "Spit and swallowed opiod" seems a clear reference to his past addictions. And it is interesting that the song is called "Born Alone" but that the title phrase is actually "I was born to die alone." Maybe they are the same thing, or two sides of the same coin? We are always alone, kind of thing. The lyrics are overall kind of bleak for such an uptempo track. Sadness is my luxury.

Yeah, good track but not one that touches me on a personal level.

17. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

One of the things I love about threads like this is how they make me pay attention to songs that have flown under my radar. Black Moon is one of these. It's always been there on the album, but I'm not sure I ever listened to it properly before. And it's fantastic - moody and deep. This album is gaining more of my respect by the song. (The Emerson Lake & Palmer album with the same name has also flown under my radar, but I think there's good reason for that.)

Born Alone is something else, driving and building into something quite loud. I like it, but can't say I love it. It's well put together, but as Parachute Woman said, it doesn't speak to me.

18. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Wow, it's like you read my mind on this one. I have eerily similar feeling about "Born Alone": It's good but somehow not memorable, the lyrics are impenetrable to the point they don't connect, and the title puzzles me. It is a good song though, for sure. Just not as good as "I Might," "Dawned on Me" or "Whole Love." John once again plays his ass off on this one, and the interplay of Nels, Jeff and Pat on guitar is great too. The "shepard tone" outro is pretty cool as well (though I always felt Glenn's cymbal crashing was a little overdone there).

I'm curious to hear what people think about the title and last lyrics: "Born Alone" and "I was born to die alone" seem to mean two different things. Was the title just shorthand? Or is there a punctuation error in that last line, which should read "I was born, to die, alone" — where "alone" technically modifies "born" and not "to die"?

I've never quite connected with either interpretation, and sometimes I think Jeff should have just chosen from some of the other distinct imagery in the song for the title. "Deceiving Glory," "Reverse a Riddle," "Chimneys in the Sea," "Divine Extremity," "Sadness is my Luxury," "Loneliness Postponed" ... there are a lot of "Cars Can't Escape"-esque titles in there, although I'm unclear of what most of them mean! "Please come closer to the leather smooth lens fly" ... OK, Jeff! :laugh:

Actually, for the longest time I thought he sang "lens flare" there, not "lens fly," and I thought "Lens Flare" somehow was a perfectly suitable title for the scattershot imagery and movement of the song.

19. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Please do that list and discussion. I'm a huge fan of Teenage Symphonies to God - I don't see that record get much attention.

robcar and mark winstanley like this.
  20. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Black Moon - A beautiful tune that I tend to forget. It seems like a cousin to the last track on the album, musically, anyway.

Born Alone - The band ratchets up the ultra melodic ante once more. So catchy and I still need to delve into the lyrics.

I'm liking this record more and more under this closer examination.

21. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Interesting, really, but maybe logical : I was the one guy who did not like Dawned on Me so much, and I'll be the first who absolutely LOVES Born Alone ! Hearing it is like hearing the cork of a music bottle popping, and the melodic inspiration overflowing and splashing all over the speakers. There’s an easy going vibe in Jeff’s delivery, like he just found the tune and sings it with a grin, over and over, because he knows it’s catchy, joyful, damn irresistible, and he rejoices at his own creative flow. In that sense, it sounds a bit like a follow up to Loose Fur’s Ruling Class. I also hear some Lou Reed influence in his vocal absentmindedness. Of course, everyone’s playing is sensational. The guitar showcase is fantastic, Glenn’s drums manage to be just as easy flowing as Jeff’s singing, yet propulsive at the same time, John’s bass line is insane, crazy good, one of his best on an album where he really touches the stars track after track after track. And the mix is a blast, lots of little touches everywhere, like the occasional double track voice (on the “Spit and swallowed opioid” line) or the barely audible organ flourishes on the second verse and tiny electronic noises on the third. The lyrics ? Not a clue, but “Sadness is my luxury” is one extraordinary Tweedy line.
    I think I prefer it to Dawned on Me because it seems less labored over. The song is just one single riff, really, one rare case of the guitar riff, the vocal melody and the solo being almost exactly the same notes (with just variations in tones and power), without ever exhausting itself. It’s just relentless, explosive, coming at us like a continuing wave of unstoppable catchiness and pleasure.

22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Black Moon
    Nice dramatic folk type song opening.
    The vocal and acoustic come together nicely.
    The slide or pedal steel add some nice textures and on the whole this is an excellent mood piece.
    I like the string arrangement.... well. This album has a lot of top class arrangements.
    Great song

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Born Alone

This track comes in as a nice jaunty pop/rock song.
    I guess it starts of slightly nondescript, but it soon stamps its identity. When that first melody riff comes in, it draws me right in.
    Then I find Tweedy delivers a great vocal, that in a few spots has a Dylan style delivery, which also grabs my ear

I think it is an excellent track, and the ever descending chord thing at the end works well to the fade

24. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Born Alone: My 4th ‘The Whole Love’ song to go onto my playlist.
    “Mine eyes have seen the fury, so flattered by fate” (with the ‘by fate’ sung in, of all things, a Cat Stevens intonation). Shades of Big Country(?), too. A walloping good song.

25. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Took a break from the internets this weekend and come back today to see I've missed a few songs...

Much like The Album, this thread is making me spend some time with a record that, while I knew I liked a lot, I really hadn't spent much time with lately. While I realized that I probably liked The Album a little bit more than I thought I did, working our way through The Whole Love has really ratcheted this record up in my opinion. We are solidly into it and there hasn't been a song in the bunch I don't really like. Its definitely going to end up being one of my favorite Wilco records by the time we get through this thread (hopefully no time soon).

Jumping to today's song, "Born Alone," its a song I really like, mostly because of its "tune" and the way that it just "moves." When I think of this song I think of movement. Motion. It just kind of picks me up and carries me along.

I have never really paid that much attention to the lyrics, focusing on mostly the movement of the music. Superficially, I have sort of lumped it into Jeff's songs about death - "On and On and On," and "Everlasting Everything," mostly because of the (probably my misinterpreted, "born to die alone" lyric). Just from a superficial listen I always felt that this song was mining the same vein, lyrically.

I probably need to go back and pay more attention to the lyrics.