Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Very surprising that they actually opened with Down from Above! I like how you set the scene, too. Cool poster! I just got and framed this one:

[​IMG]

It's the poster for a show that didn't happen in March this year in Seattle. But I love it. The rainy shop is my aesthetic and there is a black cat under the umbrella, and black cats are my thing.

2. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I love the fact that Wilco produces unique posters for its shows.

3. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That's a lovely poster. And Tweedy actually opened every show with "Down from Above" that summer. The Tweedy part of the set was pretty locked in, and only the Jeff solo set would vary night to night.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  4. GlenCurtis

GlenCurtis Forum Resident

New Moon has at its center a lovely visual lunar metaphor, but it is its earnest emotion that makes it stand out. 4/5.

Down from Above is profoundly melancholic but very real. This stretch of the album feels like Jeff is spilling his emotions out into the void. Fortunately we know there is a happy ending. 4/5

5. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Earlier, "Wait for Love" addressed a partner who has given up hope. "I've heard you say dreams don't matter"; "I guess you'd say we don't matter." And the narrator recognizes that maybe the fire has gone out, the sweetness is gone, and they've lost their way, but he wants to reassure her that he will faithfully stand by her. "But I still wanna look in your eyes and say I'll wait for you." It's such a beautiful and sad lyric, and the lovely waltz really helps put across its intent. Also interesting that, as in "Whole Love," Jeff again casts himself as the steadying force in the relationship.

"New Moon" is an addendum, but instead of just saying, 'I will patiently wait for love,' he's now asking her to quit keeping him at a distance. "Don't treat me like a stranger again... You keep me as a thief, please let me be a little more/ When you fall asleep let me be what you're dreaming for." I guess he's tired of being taken for granted. But in that case, I'm not sure that I understand the meaning of "let me hang like a new moon." The new moon is completely dark, unseen. Isn't that his problem with his role in the relationship, as it stands? IDK, maybe the new moon just symbolizes a fresh start, but the metaphor doesn't entirely work. "Well, I've always been certain nearly all of my life/ One day I'd be your burden and you would be my wife" also seems too cute by half. A nice country-folk tune, but not one of the strongest melodies on the record. I'd probably keep it on a 14-track abridged version of the album, but I like "Wait for Love" better.

The tune for "Down from Above" doesn't make much impression on me, although I think the lyrics are profound. "A light is made to go away." Again, he feels like his beloved is slipping away from him. "The world is filled with sadness/ Your darkness falls on me/ Where will you go? Where will you be?" Your darkness is an interesting choice of words. Maybe he just means that he can't help but absorb her depression, her dwindling hope, himself. Certainly, he's contemplating her death. "Down from above/ Too wonderful for me/ Down from above/ Too wonderful for me." Deeply sad, particularly given the circumstances. The music could've used some development, though. It wouldn't surprise me if this actually was a first take.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
  6. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Interesting set list. I’m most familiar with the ACL performance. It opens with five Tweedy tunes before he digs into his back catalogue solo and with the band:
    World Away
    New Moon
    High as Hello
    Low Key
    Nobody Dies Anymore

A much poppier approach than opening with Down From Above/Diamond Light!

As for today’s songs I didn’t have fond memories of Down From Above, but on repeat listening I quite enjoy it. Reminds me of a lot of 90s music I love... Idaho, American Music Club, even some aspects of Red House Painters or Low.

I assume the “where can I go/where can I flee” couplet is a reference to Psalm 139, probably one of the most beautiful and raw passages of the Hebrew Scriptures. It’s a real staring God in the face moment, which is consistent with this song’s reflection on mortality. Again, note how Jeff subverts the religious view - here’s an excerpt:

Where can I go from your Spirit?

Where can I flee from your presence?

If I go up to the heavens, you are there;

if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.

If I rise on the wings of the dawn,

if I settle on the far side of the sea,

even there your hand will guide me,

your right hand will hold me fast.

If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me

and the light become night around me,”

even the darkness will not be dark to you;

the night will shine like the day,

for darkness is as light to you.“

As for Summer Noon definitely one of the great guitar moments of the album, combined with one of Jeff’s most self-pitying moments... “I would be a burden and you would be my wife”. A bit melodramatic but I like the tune.

7. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

Jeff Tweedy just announced at the end of the Tweedy Show a new release: Uncle Tupelo live at Lounge Ax. He showed the vinyl.. no idea when it was recorded.. Official announcement tomorrow apparently.

Jack, Zeki, Rockford & Roll and 2 others like this.
  8. Parachute Woman

Where My Love

For a change of pace, 'Where My Love' is a piano-led song that features Jeff on the piano as well as the mellotron. It is another song that confronts Susie's potential death head on ("I wanna watch you growing old and dumb /I wanna see what you and I become") and it is quite an eerie, haunting song. The background vocals towards the end are so spectral and distant to feel almost hymn-like. I will fully admit to being a major fan of the piano (my favorite instrument) so I am biased in favor of this song and I find it beautiful in a very sad way. That said, this is one track on the album where I don't actually like what Spencer played. His drumming feels messy and clamorous here and I don't like how it pairs with the delicacy of what Jeff is playing. I wish I could have the song without the drums to be honest.

9. Parachute Woman

Fake Fur Coat

Another solo song that is just Jeff and guitar. It's a nice song, but Jeff has written many better ones in this same style. I don't get anything out of these lyrics or understand what he is trying to say here. That being said, it's a sweet piece of singer-songwriter writing and I like this live performance of it on Cardinal Sessions. A song as simple as this really does shine when you can see the artist playing it live.

10. Parachute Woman

'Where My Love' was also done on Austin City Limits. Beautiful, tender performance.

The backing vocals on this are spine-shivering. I like this even better than the studio version. Better drums too. :)

11. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Where My love has to be one of my biggest rediscoveries since the beginning of this thread. I can’t even begin to understand how this sublime song eluded me until now. Of the more ornate and elaborate tracks on Sukierae, this may be the more accomplished. Jeff’s piano track is rudimentary but absolutely beautiful, and I for one like how the weird busy drums work with the piano. The song itself is all about the chords, little modulations, major/minors, little dissonances that create pure beauty (the bass line also helps). This is the closest to a Bennett era song on the whole record (except maybe Summer Noon), with a sinister Mellotron part and a fantastic Tweedy low vocal delivery. At the same time it’s really one of a kind, maybe the only song on Sukierae that doesn’t have at least one counterpart musically.
    We’re in nostalgia territory, today as Uncle Tupelo/early Wilco Jeff then returns for Fake Fur Coat, a ballad with celtic undertones. The weird drone effect that sounds like a pump organ is most likely done on the acoustic guitar?. The song is nothing really special but I enjoy it, because everything about it is so Tweedy, even the acoustic playing is 100% him, nobody plays like that except that guy.
    Now, if you’ll allow me, I’m going to lose myself in Where My Love again, one of the most unique pieces of music in Tweedyland.

12. GlenCurtis

GlenCurtis Forum Resident

Where My Love is a haunting reverb saturated plea. As with many of the songs on Sukierae, it gains weight from within its context of the whole. I also think the drums add rather than subtracts to the song, they move the song to a slightly different place, each time they come in I find my head moving in rhythm, sinking into the song. Overall, Where My Love is very affecting, poignant even. 4.5/5

Fake Fur coat
    is metaphor on top of metaphor that musically almost feels like it is a jaunty escapee from the Mermaid Avenue sessions. It's strengths are in the melody and guitar work. I'm not sure what all the lyrics mean, but like all good lyrics they successful convey feeling, even if they are a bit opaque. In all, it is a nice little interlude amongst the gloom. I'm not sure if Jeff meant it or not, but it feels almost like a bit of light at the end of the tunnel. 4/5

13. dthomas850

dthomas850 Forum Resident

I've fallen behind a little bit but I'll just say that I love all the tracks on side 3, "Flowering", "Summer Moon" & "New Moon" in particular are absolute Tweedy classics.
    Side 4 is probably the side I'm least familiar with, but hearing them again, these songs are all so good:
    "Down From Above" - the vibes are a nice touch and I love that haunting guitar
    "Where My Love" - geez, this another great one, nice piano, reverb everywhere and I love how the drums come in on certain parts.
    "fake Fur Coat" - nice acoustic tune, I need a few more listens of this one

14. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Fake Fur Coat - the only song I knew off the album before we started our discussions here!! Still like it a lot, definitely a good nostalgic acoustic tune

15. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Where My Love is one I didn’t like on first listen, but I’ve warmed up to. The stop-start arrangement reminds me of Pieholden Suite. And I must say I prefer the live version @Parachute Woman posted (thanks for this as it wasn’t on the broadcast).

Hearing Lucius sing on this one made me do a quick scan of the album... are they only on Disc 1? I believe so, and it shows a sonic shift between the two albums. Disc 1 certainly has more of the poppier elements that were showcased in the ACL broadcast.

Fake Fur Coat is a folky breath of fresh air as we approach the end of a long album.

As we approach the end of the album, I must say that I think the length hurts it. There are a lot of dour songs and by the time I’m on this back leg, I’m tired out and not ready for a plodding number like Where My Love. But when I hear that song in isolation, I quite like it. Interestingly, it’s not that I don’t like long, sad albums either as those are generally my favourites. It will be interesting to compare this to Warm/Warmer which were released separately, and I’ve noted that several here have commented that Sukierae is more enjoyable in two servings.

16. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Where My Love"- Everyone already pretty much summed up my feelings on this song. This does sound like it could be an outtake from Summerteeth. I have to say I never paid much attention to this song. This thread has been helpful in bringing some of these later songs some needed attention. I'm still picking up Skip Spence vibes and even the Moby Grape song "I Am Not Willing", which Wilco covered. If only because it has a similar haunting and floating feeling when the drums kick in. This is becoming a new favorite. I loved this album before this thread, but this is really bringing it all together, and making me appreciate it even more. 4.5/5

"Fake Fur Coat"- We have yet another highlight at the back of the album. This is a Tweedy classic for me. A nice bit of poetry, great fingerpicking, and Jeff's vocal is really good. These last two songs recall a younger Jeff in vocal style. 4.5/5

Behold the gift of a distant sun
    The canyons full of loose bones
    The metals and brambles and the jack bitch boss
    Thundering down from his thrown

17. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"Where My Love" is hauntingly beautiful. The piano is a nice change of pace. Excellent track and one of the album's high points.

"Fake Fur Coat" is hurt somewhat by the excessively vague lyrics but, overall, is a very pleasant folk song. Nothing particularly revelatory, but nice. I think there's a Woody Guthrie influence here but Tweedy's not quite able to pull that off.

18. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

Zeki, Rockford & Roll and jalexander like this.
  19. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

One of their last shows.

Gotta say, hearing some Uncle Tupelo right now is going to feel very refreshing. Latter day Tweedy just doesn't compare.

Zeki likes this.
  20. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Nonsense, modern day Wilco/Tweedy is far superior

dthomas850 and palisantrancho like this.
  21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Enjoy the view from that tiny island.

22. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

I think it is very large actually. What size venues do they play these days?

palisantrancho likes this.
  23. frightwigwam

Less Filling!
    Tastes Great!

Really, I'm glad that they're putting out more Uncle Tupelo, although I'd like them to release it on CD, too. Meanwhile, you can find the WXRT broadcast freely available on the ol' internet. I have a download labeled "Hall of Shame liberated boot."

robcar likes this.
  24. frightwigwam

"Where My Love" is a beautiful tag to "Down From Above"--although sadder before I looked at a lyrics page and thought that Jeff was singing, "Well, all my love has gone." It sounded like he was saying that he wants to grow old with Susie, but he's also feeling drained and on the verge of giving up. But, "You're where all my love is gone" is entirely different. Still, "I had a dream we were cast away/ They came to save us but you wanted to stay" is probably a reflection of how Susie really was feeling, and sad in its own right.

"Fake Fur Coat" sounds just like an outtake from Golden Smog or the Mermaid Avenue project. A bouncy tune is welcome at this point, but the style feels out of place. The lyrics seem more opaque than the rest of the songs, too. The world is a gift and a mystery, greater than all of us, and cares not for our problems, I suppose he's saying. And I'd guess that he's writing down thoughts as he leaves the hospital, or maybe just escaping the house, "hoping that your heart still needs me." In that context, a reference to the Bible, or specifically the story of Noah, possibly, as a "myth" is an interesting choice of words. I'm not certain of what he means by, "I'm rolling up my sleeves/ To advertise the new freedom/ I accept I can't receive." Lines like, "I concede there is beauty in bubblegum," and the last verse, "Behold the gift of the distant sun/ The canyons full of loose bones/ The nettles and the brambles and the jack bitch boss/ Thundering down from his throne," are nice Guthrie-like touches, though.

25. Parachute Woman

Good morning. Today we close out discussions on Sukierae with the final two tracks.

Hazel

What does this remind me of? It's driving me nuts. I feel like this sounds a lot like something else by Jeff but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just a bit generic... Trying to put that out of my mind and just listen to the song itself, it's okay. It's kind of a little bit country with a slight Dylanesque feeling. I wouldn't exactly call it uplifting, but it is a little bit more bouncy than some of the tracks we've discussed over the past few days. I think I've got Sukierae burn out, though...