Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I really like It's Just That Simple - another track showing their strong country leanings at this point in their career. It's got a beautiful melody and solid lyrics and I enjoy it for what it is. It's another one I finally saw live at the 7/3/2009 Red Rocks show.

2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I guess it's U2's fault but I would really like to see a show there. Is it as cool as I imagine?

robcar and jalexander like this.
  3. Interpolantics

Interpolantics Forum Resident

I meant "Its's Just That Simple"reminds me of Rick Danko! Also reminiscent of the Flying Burrito Brothers as Parachute Woman mentioned above.

4. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

A great straight up country waltz, but as the above discussion hints at, it’s like a window into an alternate Wilco universe. Before the deluxe editions came out I had a random mp3 of “the last Uncle Tupelo track” which was the Stirratt penned When You Find Trouble. This is now on the deluxe AM.

I’ve said it in other Wilco threads, but I think Jeff has things the way he wants them to be now... Wilco is a stable group of collaborators who provide inspiration for Jeff to realize his songwriting, but it’s not a band of songwriters. That said, every member is free and encouraged to pursue their own personal projects, and these are celebrated at Solid Sound, the band’s website, etc.

I really need to read Kot’s book because I had never heard that about John before (did anyone notice he barely gets a mention in Tweedy’s memoir?). There’s obviously a trade off. In a recent Facebook live cast, Glen discussed how the tour cancellation has removed most of his income for the year, which shows what life is like for the other five. No songwriting royalties, but a good income as a successful, regularly touring outfit, and not just as sidemen, but full fledged members with a stake in the business. Also, I’m sure I would have never bought an Autumn Défense record or Nels’ Lovers album if it weren’t for Wilco.

So apart from being a great song, It’s Just That Simple is a reminder of just how nascent Wilco were at this stage. I’m glad John has stuck around for so long. He’s a real anchor in the band. But Wilco with more John songs would have been a different beast.

5. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Yes it is. You just have to deal with the unpredictable weather - a thunderstorm isn't uncommon, but usually before the show starts. I've been fortunate enough to see many fine bands at Red Rocks, and it's always surprising how many audience members are from out of state. It seems that fans schedule trips to Colorado around Red Rocks concerts.

6. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

When my wife and I started dating, we went to a number of Wilco shows right off the bat (she's been with me to quite a few more since that time too). But, anyway, the first 2-3 times we saw Wilco they played "It's Just that Simple," and she really fell in love with it. Inevitably, after we got in the car to drive home she'd ask me "why doesn't he (John Stirratt) sing anymore songs? That's such a great song." I really have no answer for that.

I've always found it interesting that he doesn't. I know that one of his other potential A.M. contributions is on the reissue - need to go check), but its always sort of fascinated me that he has't contributed anything else.

Regardless this is a great song. Never tire of hearing it.

7. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Cool.
    Cheers

8. Kevin Davis

Kevin Davis EQUIPMENT PROFILE INCOMPLETE

This is how I feel about the Band of Horses song "Older" -- probably one of my 5 favorite songs by that band, and it's (to my knowledge) the only one sung by someone other than their lead singer. I haven't kept up with their music for a few albums, but at least up until that album anyway...

John C Bradley Jr likes this.
  9. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

I have at least 5 friends (maybe more) who have traveled from SC to Red Rocks just for shows. Maybe more. My brother-in-law and sister-in-law were supposed to go out there from Georgia this summer to see The Avett Brothers. So people do schedule those trips for sure.

Al Gator likes this.
  10. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"It's Just That Simple"- Definitely a very strong Gram Parsons flavor. It almost sounds like it could be a cover song. It is odd hearing a Wilco song not sung by Jeff. It's also odd that John doesn't get one or two songs per album with compositions this strong. I don't have much more to add. I much prefer Jeff's songs and this song makes me want to listen to Gram Parsons. There is no denying that John contributed a good song to the album, but it's my least favorite on the album so far. 2/5

11. Rodney Miller

Rodney Miller Well-Known Member

"It's just that simple" is one of my favorite tracks on the album and, I feel, a surprisingly strong opening track for side 2. John's vocal does remind me a little of Danko.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I’d never thought ‘Rick Ranko’ when hearing this so I’ll have to think about that. (I saw Danko sing Stage Fright when he toured with Paul Butterfield. Achingly beautiful.) Gram Parsons, and maybe Richie Furay with that high tenor, is what usually comes to mind. Or even Joe Henry and the exquisite Safe With Me (from Feeling Minnesota soundtrack). No matter, I like Stirratt’s song a lot.

13. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

I'm not really sure why I like "It's Just That Simple" but I do. I've disliked several Tweedy compositions with uncomplicated lyrics ("I Must Be High" and "I Thought I Held You" come to mind) but that's not the issue here. It's not a perfect song by any means but does conjure up some nice imagery. I feel like this could have been a great song if only John had collaborated with someone with more songwriting experience.

Since we're talking about John today I've just gotta say that he is one of the nicest musicians you could ever meet. I've had the pleasure of mingling with the band twice when they've come out to greet the lunatics in line and while most tend to fawn over Jeff, John goes out of his way to talk to everyone and thank them for their support. I think that's one of the reasons why 'It's Just That Simple" elicits such a strong reaction from the crowd whenever it gets played. He's the glue that's held Wilco together through all the years / changes in the band.

bonus, tulumdedoo, jalexander and 6 others like this.
  14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My Apple Music Favorites playlist, updated today. Couldn’t believe it: opened with New Madrid followed by Hot Burrito #1! It’s a sign!

15. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Someone's always watching, Zeki! ;)

Nice to see some nice words about John. He's always seemed like an entirely decent guy and it's great to have someone other than Jeff be on every record from the beginning. I seem to recall Jeff saying in his book that John can't ever leave. He could take anyone else, but not John. The glue, as @planetexpress says.

16. Balding Jay

Balding Jay Forum Resident

Sigh. Let me preface by saying that I love what John brings to the band. He’s been the one constant with Jeff all these years, he’s a terrific musician with a lovely voice. And it’s a lovely tune. But I cringe every time I hear this song, when he says he feels like a “cripple.” It really just ruins the song for me. I’m sure he intended no offense, but it just hits my ears all wrong.

I wonder sometimes if he’s thought about how some people in his audience may be offended by the term. Not that there’s anything to do about it except not play the song, but that’d be a shame as well, because it’s a lovely tune and John deserves the spotlight every now and then. I’d be curious to hear his thoughts on the matter.

17. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I love "It's Just That Simple". It's not one of the album's absolute highlights (although tomorrow's song certainly is), but it totally works for me in a way that "That's Not The Issue" doesn't work. Stirratt has a lovely singing voice and I wish he had been given more chances to use it over the years in Wilco (his side band The Autumn Defense has some excellent songs though). Love the guitars here. I've seen them play this one several times over the years and it always receives a great reaction from the audience, although I don't think the current version of the band can play it as well as the A.M. version did.

18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

It's pretty great. Excellent acoustics, great sightlines, and the ambience can't be beat. The only downsides are the regularly "challenging" weather conditions and, for those who come in from lower altitudes (not a problem for me), the long hike (all uphill) to get to the seating bowl, and the even higher climb if you aren't down in front.

19. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Does Jeff ever let John sing some Autumn Defense songs in a Wilco show? If he really likes the opportunity to take a break and just play bass, he could do that, and it would be a nice gesture.

20. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Not that I've ever seen, but possibly. The only "side project" songs I've seen performed at a Wilco show (other than Uncle Tupelo songs that Tweedy wrote or covered) are one or two Loose Fur tracks and (I think) a Golden Smog song way back at the end of the 90s.

Zeki and frightwigwam like this.
  21. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting perspective and I thank you for sharing it. Words definitely have power.

Balding Jay, Rockford & Roll and Zeki like this.
  22. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

It's a nice song to see John sing live for a moment in the spotlight.

When I see Wilco in a GA setting, I almost always try to get slightly stage right, in front of John. He's so much fun to watch, he always brings it, and with a smile, too. He's constantly moving, playing great bass lines, and his interactions with Pat during shows are great.

Another favorite pair to watch live these days, for their musical communication: Nels and Glenn. But I'm getting ahead.

Was it Kot's book that discusses Tweedy's broken promise to form Wilco as a democracy, and John's anger and disappointment that it didn't come to pass? They must have gotten over that relatively quickly.

And I believe it was the Ashes of American Flags DVD where Jeff discusses the other members' contributions. While he offers praise for everyone in the current lineup, he mentions that anyone could come or go and it would still be Wilco . . . but not John.

23. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

These comments remind me of the scene in I Am Trying To Break Your Heart where Wilco goes to its attorney's office to sign the record deal that will (formally) release YHF, and the only necessary attendee and signature is Jeff's. At that point I was like, "Ahhhh, it's his band, and all the others work for him."

I think "It's Just That Simple" is fine as a song and all, but I really like it because it's not Jeff. It's sort of a break from every other song. Edit: Why not a few more? That is the question.

I was fortunate enough and crazy enough to travel from CA to MA for Solid Sound 2017 with a friend I used to work with, and he was talking about how toxic the workplace can be when we were watching Autumn Defense, and I wondered aloud if someone like a Pat Sansome wrote a really terrific song, would John S. warn him to sit on it so as not to raise Jeff's ire or envy upon hearing it? I was half-joking, and I probably have it all wrong, but Jeff is the boss man.

Then we were all of a sudden standing about six feet away from Mr. Kotche, but we left him alone. My friend remarked that he looked smaller up close, and I was like, "It's always that way, musicians at his level become huge on stage."

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  24. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Falling behind here a little bit, let's see if I can make up some ground today.

"Pick Up the Change"
    Great opening line, love Tweedy's lyrics on this one. When I first heard the record, I remember this being the time where the "twang" was a little too much for me, coming as I did from more punk and alt rock places. But it's definitely grown on me over time, especially with both of those killer guitar solos. Still, one of the lesser songs on the record, if I'm going to be honest. I like the simplicity and the melody, but probably a 3.5 out of 5.

"I Thought I Held You"
    If the "twang" bothered me on the last track, this one was at risk of alienating me completely back in 1995, what with both banjo and pedal steel. But it's a really pretty song and I remember this one sticking with me after a first listen and doing a lot of work in helping me to appreciate the more country approach the band was integrating. The pedal steel, especially, is really lovely and gives a lonesome vibe here that still sticks 25 years on. We also get another great line - "I'm like a songwriter / You're the reason I've run out / Run out of metaphors". This one still stands out for me, 4.5 out of 5.

"That's Not the Issue"
    More banjo and we're off to the honky-tonk here. It's a fun enough track with a breakneck pace compared to the others and I appreciate Henneman's guitar playing once again, but this has always been one of my least favorites. I might not be the only one that thinks so either, since it seems they've only played this one live three times. Not Tweedy's best lyrically either, feels more tossed off than much of the rest of the record, but by no means awful. I'll give this one a 3 out of 5.

"It's Just That Simple"
    Tweedy takes a break and we get our first taste of John Stirratt on vocals. Let's face it, there's a reason why he wasn't the lead vocalist, but there is definitely some charm to this kind of wobbly and yearning to go with the pain being expressed in the lyrics. After the relatively raucous party of the last song, this moves us to the last song of the night while the lonely ones nurse their final beers of the day before heading back to their empty beds. Instrumentally this is a really fine performance - while it doesn't feel labored over in the least, it has the opposite feel of the tossed off feel of "That's Not the Issue". 4 out of 5.

(sidenote: I agree that listening with my current ears, the word "cripple" really stands out)

25. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

That's Not the Issue: sounds like an unused latter-day Uncle Tupelo track. I like it well enough
    It's Just that Simple - again I like it well enough. Both these songs are... fine. I'd give the edge to the latter, I guess. They show aspects of the band that weren't returned to much. They're still finding their way.