Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

I told myself the same thing when I was up around 260 lbs., boxing three days a week, healthy in general, and still eating like a teenager. After getting a small umbilical hernia, doctor also diagnosed an underactive thyroid that I'd had for years without knowing (and foolishly not getting annual physicals). The medication for this kickstarts the thyroid and allows the patient to drop weight if he so chooses (although only for a few weeks, after which time, it's on the patient to change his habits). And I did, 70 lbs. later! That was seven years ago, and physical health is vital to me now. With two siblings who've developed Type 2 Diabetes due to poor dieting and weight gain, I'll never get that heavy again. Not vanity - carrying extra weight into your 50s and beyond opens the door to numerous serious health issues. In recent photos of Jeff, he does look like he's losing weight and headed in right direction.

Together at Last: I really enjoy the album. Main reason: no reverb/clean vocals! If only for an album, but I was sure glad to hear his pure voice. Of course, any longstanding Wilco fan will most likely have some acoustic version of many of these songs from live solo show bootlegs, but it was nice to hear well-produced studio versions. An album like this is for fans, not Pitchfork reviewers.

2. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Together at Last is an enjoyable listen for Wilco/Tweedy fans. I still don’t own a copy but have streamed it many times. I guess that means I file it under inessential? Mind you, my buying habits are very different these days, largely framed around “I’ll get around to it someday”, but I generally stream via YouTube or an app provided my local library. I just grabbed Warm last week and recently realized I don’t actually own Ode to Joy.

As for Together... let’s talk about the format first. Generally solo acoustic, although there are some cheats like the electric overdub on Future Age. Anyone familiar with Jeff’s history should be comfortable with this. Whether it’s Jeff and Jay at Lounge Axe, or the Sunken Treasure DVD, Jeff has always produced solo interpretations of his songs. Nice to have a little official collection.

How about the song choice? Definitely an interesting representation of his catalogue. I’m glad Lost Love gets some attention, and Laminated Cat has never wandered from Jeff’s eye. What about the Wilco songs? None of the last two albums, none from the first two and heavy emphasis on Summerteeth (3), Yankee (3), and Ghost (2). Interestingly the two Ghost tunes are relieved of that album’s emotional heft. Muzzle because of the relaxed instrumental section, and Hummingbird because of the (deliberately) lacklustre whistling.

So Summerteeth and Yankee are presented as the emotional core of his catalogue. He could have chosen Impossible Germany as the reinterpretation of a wild band arrangement (see the link below to a recent solo version), but he went for I Am Trying instead. Ashes is intense as well. But the highlight for me is In a Future Age. Just beautiful and maybe the definitive version.

I saw Jeff on this tour. My first time since Ghost. Not that I hadn’t followed Wilco, but time and the ever-increasing ticket prices keep my concert going relatively low. But when he came to the recently renovated theatre in my little city, how could I say no? Up front center for sure!

And that makes me recognize how the album differs from the solo live experience too. Jeff has a lot of witty stage banter solo which really makes the shows. (After one song when he thanked the audience for coming, I yelled out “no, thank you”, to which he quickly snapped back, “you know they pay me to be here right?”) The Live sets are more sprawling. I got a couple Warm/Warmer numbers and even one from Ode to Joy as I recall. So this album doesn’t replace Jeff solo live, but it’s a nice little document of how he approaches his songs on his own.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Am listening to it for the first time. Ashes playing now. What a song.

4. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I have only listened to this album once a couple days ago when I heard we would be discussing it. I always assumed this was a live album, which is why I never gave it much thought. I'm just not that interested in live or re-recorded albums. I do have a solo Jeff show from the last days of Lounge Ax that I highly enjoy, so I didn't think I needed another one. This is a really well done collection of songs. I was impressed with Jeff's vocals and these songs are all great in a more stripped back version. However, there isn't anything here that I prefer over the originals. It's hard to top that batch of songs. I'll give it another listen today, but I doubt I would return to it often.

Zeki, Parachute Woman and jalexander like this.
  5. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

I really like Together at Last. What a pleasant listen. For one thing, it show cases what a brilliant rhythm guitarist Jeff is. And, as @fspringer says, he sings so well! The durability of the songs themselves shine though in this environment. Every song on here is great, though my favorite is "In a Future Age."

I know Jeff says he has a second volume in the can for a future release, and I can't wait to see what is on it. That said, one of the things that makes Together at Last so good is that the performances of the songs vary drastically from their fleshed out studio versions. If Jeff digs back into older Wilco songs — and there are tons to choose from — Vol. 2 could repeat the trick. But I can't see his more recent output being as compelling for a project like this.

With Schmilco and Warm/Warmer, for example, the tracks are already pretty bare bones, and led by a strong acoustic guitar presence. I'm not sure how Jeff could reinterpret them in a way that is different enough to be worthwhile. Then again, for someone as creative as Jeff Tweedy, maybe he could!

6. jalexander

I imagine these songs might be done justice with the solo treatment. Sadly the Warm/Warmer material was never played with a band (as far as I recall), but it did sound great solo. The Star Wars/Schmilco stuff doesn’t seem to have been covered in his solo tours, but a couple of days ago we had a post of Shrug and Destroy from Jeff’s living room and it sounded fantastic. Another one that sounds surprisingly good solo is Bull Black Nova.

Fortuleo likes this.
  7. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Jeff did play just a couple of full band shows after Warm/Warmer, and I was lucky to go to one of them. The songs sounded great live. And I completely agree about "Bull Black Nova," that one is spookily great solo and has to be a gimme for the next collection.

Actually, since no one asked me, here is what I would put on a Together at Last Vol. 2, or Together Again as I think Jeff said he would call it. Songs in chronological order of original release (plus two from Golden Smog), not the order I'd put them on the album:

1. No Sense in Lovin
    2. Should've Been in Love
    3. Pot Kettle Back
    4. Spiders (Kidsmoke)
    5. Impossible Germany
    6. Bull Black Nova
    7. I'll Fight
    8. Whole Love
    9. Just Say Goodbye
    10. Quiet Amplifier
    11. A Long Time Ago
    12. I Can't Keep From Talking

8. palisantrancho

He plays a lot of covers on the Tweedy show. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a future solo album. That could be interesting. I love his version of "Love and Mercy". Was that ever officially released? I'm not sure where that cover comes from.

jalexander and Parachute Woman like this.
  9. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

There's a thread around here right now asking folks to recommend a favorite artist with three songs: your favorite, a free choice and a song you feel is "most representative" of the artist.

I was all set to recommend Wilco but I got stuck on the "most representative" song. Is there such a thing with Wilco? I feel like any song I consider really only captures one little sliver of the band... Then I started thinking about what the "essence" of Wilco is and I knew I was going down the rabbit hole...

Thought I'd pose it to my Wilco peeps. What would you say is a song that could go in that slot? Most representative?

(For favorite I was going to say Sunken Treasure and for free choice something more recent like Dawned on Me or Whole Love).

jalexander and palisantrancho like this.
  10. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Checking in to say there are a number of solo shows available for download on the Wilco website. Unfortunately you have just missed a half price sale (Fri and Sat)

Fortuleo likes this.
  11. jalexander

For those interested in the broader Wilco-verse, this was about the time when Nels released his Lovers album. Of course, he has a massive discography in his own right, but this feels like one of those albums that wouldn’t have happened if not for his exposure through Wilco. Definitely worth checking out. Sounds great on vinyl too.

Fortuleo and frightwigwam like this.
  12. jalexander

What no Pecan Pie?!? Would have loved to hear those Warm/warmer songs with a proper live arrangement!
    Golden Smog b-side. I’ve quoted @Fortuleo ’s post from many weeks ago where we discussed it.

palisantrancho likes this.
  13. jalexander

Somewhere along the line I picked up an RSD 7” of a Fleetwood Mac cover by the Autumn Defense released around this time. A bit cheesy for my taste, but the AD do this AM rock really well.

Parachute Woman and Zeki like this.
  14. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Together at Last was one of my favorites of 2017, perhaps topped only by the Joan Shelley album that Jeff produced. I just love the intimacy of the songs stripped down to just Jeff's voice and guitar. It goes to show that he is one of the great singer-songwriters of his time. I miss the synth hook on "I'm Always in Love," but otherwise it's practically perfect. Glad to hear that the general bias against "re-recordings" isn't going to discourage Jeff from doing more. I'd be happy to hear him do solo acoustic versions of his whole catalogue.

Meanwhile, today I've been listening to my playlist of Schmilco Wars. I think this sequence of 14 songs, split evenly between the two albums, flows pretty well (note how naturally "Quarters" drifts into "You Satellite," and the Reed/Wareham sound of "We Aren't the World" fits right in between that and "Cold Slope"), and would've been a strong follow-up to The Whole Love. Actually, I believe that it stacks up pretty well against any Wilco album besides Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. The general narrative about Wilco lately might have been different if they had held back Star Wars and put out something like this in 2016.

See how it goes...

Wilco Schmilco Wars, a playlist by Michael St. John on Spotify

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    jalexander likes this.
  15. Parachute Woman

At the request of @jalexander, we are going to take a day to discuss the 2017 album If All I Was Was Black by Mavis Staples.

If All I Was Was Black
    [​IMG]

Released: November 17, 2017

We skipped discussion days for the first two Mavis Staples albums produced by Jeff Tweedy (You Are Not Alone and One True Vine), but I think it makes sense to touch on this album because, in addition to production work, every song on it was written by Jeff Tweedy. This is like a hidden Wilco/Tweedy album that happens to be sung by the great Mavis Staples.

If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend it. I think it is the best of the projects Jeff has done with Mavis and it is a tight, concise (34 minutes) album that effortlessly blends soul and R&B with rock to create something that sounds timeless. If you are missing Jeff's groovier side on the last few Wilco albums, you can find it hear. The opening 'Little Bit' is one of my favorites featuring a fantastic main guitar hook and a powerful vibe that just sucks you in. The title track is a lost soul classic (and very interesting that Jeff wrote it--though Mavis gets a co-credit on it). 'Try Harder' and 'Build a Bridge' are other favorites of mine.

I didn't set out in this thread to cover every project that Jeff Tweedy has been involved in, but his collaborations with Mavis are well-worth mentioning and bring out another side of him and definitely exhibit how comfortable he is writing in the realms of classic American roots musics of all kinds.

Today is for thoughts on this project (as well as all of Jeff's work with Mavis Staples, if you are so inclined). Their friendship is so wholesome and adorable to me.

16. Parachute Woman

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Haven’t heard this song in decades (and decades). Nice!

jalexander likes this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Yes, indeed. Prior to this thread (where I’ve actually listened to stuff I’d overlooked), I thought this was the best Tweedy project since Sky Blue Sky. It was in the running for my 2017 album of the year (but got nosed out by Roger Waters and The Old 97’s).

19. Parachute Woman

Thank you for sharing. Fleetwood Mac is another of my favorite bands and this is one of the greatest songs Bob Welch ever wrote (and a highlight of the wonderful Bare Trees album). I don't personally find anything cheesy about it. Just beautiful songwriting and Pat/John do a lovely job with it. It suits them like a glove.

jalexander and Zeki like this.
  20. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

If All I Was Was Black is an important piece in the Tweedy puzzle not only because he wrote all the songs but because their political tone is in line with his recent public stance regarding the racial issues in America. To a certain extent, I don't think it completely works in favor of this specific LP, where he writes things that she is supposed to feel, say and sing. In my opinion, it makes the whole LP sound a bit too much like a genre exercise (music & lyrics), more so than their previous collaborations where the mix of covers and gospel tunes allowed Jeff to be more personal on the songs he wrote (especially You're Not Alone and Jesus Wept, both of which I'd love to feature in the next installment of the "Together" series). This is not to say I don't like the album, I do, but no song is at the level of the two cited above or the irresistible stomper Every Step. Like our thread leader, though, I enjoy the lead off track more than just a little bit, it almost sounds like Cream-era Clapton.
    Interestingly, that same year 2017, Wilco released All Lives, You Say ? a charity single fueled by the same political sentiment, addressing the "All Lives matter" movement and the Charlottesville events, in very vivid and directly confrontational words. It was dedicated to the memory of his father who'd just died and it's the only Wilco track released between Schmilco and Ode to Joy. Actually, I'm not even sure other Wilco members are on the track (can't say for sure who's on drums, even though my bet's on Spencer) but the country tinged John Wesley Harding style (musically, it comes along as a revamp of the old Tweedy favorite I'll Be Your Baby Tonight) works fine and brings the message home. I'm glad he did something on the subject from his own (and Wilco's) perspective, after writing Mavis' record. The original track is on bandcamp, and below's a cool live version with the Punch Brothers.

21. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Jeff said in his most recent RS interview that he recorded another LP worth of songs at the same time, and he's just waiting to put it out at some point but it's not on the release schedule right now. He said it would be called TOGETHER AGAIN.

jalexander likes this.
  22. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Together at Last is a good record. Interestingly I only own it on vinyl so I have to make somewhat of a conscious effort to listen to it as opposed to carrying it around on my iPod or taking the CD out for a ride in the car. Its a nice listen - as @Parachute Woman put it (I think) its a great Sunday morning, putz around the house, drink some coffee type of record.

I love all of the Mavis Staples records that Jeff has worked on (her most recent one with - I think Ben Harper - is really good as well). The pairing with Jeff is one that you might not think on paper would necessarily work - but they have really made some wonderful music together.

23. palisantrancho

This is my first time listening through this entire album. I was only familiar with the title song. This sounds like it must have been a blast for Jeff to write and record. It's a groovy little record and the playing throughout is smooth as silk which sounds contemporary, but with a nod to the past. It made for a very pleasant morning, and helped ease some of the stress of what is sure to be an insane week in the US. If only more people could relate and listen to the message of love, peace, and equality that is present on all of these songs. "Every Step" from the last album is probably my favorite of all the Jeff/Mavis songs, but this album comes close with the opening song "Little Bit" and "Try Harder". "Little Bit" has some of that dirty funk which would be right at home on a Betty Davis album. Nicely done Mavis and Jeff!

24. jalexander

Thanks @Parachute Woman for giving a day to If All I Was Was Black. I don’t have tons to say about it, but I think it’s an important milestone in the Tweedy/Wilco journey, much as Loose Fur was earlier on.

I’m a fan of all three Mavis/Tweedy albums. Jeff’s songs on them are great. You Are Not Alone is a stone cold classic and Jeff songs it frequently in his solo sets - I believe he performed it on the Mavis live album also released in 2017. As @Fortuleo recommends, Jesus Wept is also great and I heard Jeff sing that one solo in 2018.

But If All I Was... is next level. All songs written by Jeff (three with a co-write by Mavis). Lyrically, I think they’re great. They fit Mavis, but also reflect Jeff. Aside from Peaceful Shore, they are less formal gospel songs, and more positive numbers encouraging action and change. Anyone following Tweedy at the time saw him getting increasingly active in Chicago and US activism. This has become an important lyrical theme for him ever since.

Musically, the album is fantastic, too. First off, because these songs don’t start off with more thumpy acoustic guitar. These songs are mostly driven by Jeff’s ELECTRIC GUITAR! Hallelujah!!! And to top it off, the songs are funky and soulful.

In terms of overall playing, it mixes Jeff and Spencer with Mavis’ touring band, so it’s a nice balance between the first two albums. It sort of mixes, the modern sound of Tweedy with the more organic gospel sound of Mavis live. It should be noted she has an amazing band... for starters her drummer played with Tom Waits in the Swordfishtrombones era.

Overall, the album has a vintage soul vibe that reminds me of this Christmas classic (minus the strings) that references the Chicago riots of 1968 and has an awesome fuzz guitar solo :

25. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I hadn't heard Together At Last before now and it's a pleasant listen. It helps knowing all of the original versions of these songs and, while none of these spare acoustic takes surpass the originals, the album slides by nicely and I find myself humming along.

"Via Chicago" - never one of my favorites, this is a good Dylanesque folk style presentation of it. Blessedly free of cacophonous noise blasts.
    "Laminated Cat" - I like this acoustic version a LOT; it seems to fit the lyrics especially well. It has a late autumnal/wintery feel - bare trees against leaden skies, particularly the instrumental coda. A highlight of the LP.
    "Lost Love" - quite different from the original Golden Smog presentation, but the song's melody still shines. Good solo take but the original is the one.
    "Muzzle Of Bees" - the song is as gorgeous as ever in this guise but I do miss the fuller instrumentation.
    "Ashes Of American Flags" - another one that works very well in solo acoustic form because the song is so strong. A nice alternate take on this classic.
    "Dawned On Me" - possibly the most different of these versions from its companion original and I have to say that I miss the energy of the upbeat band version. It's still an excellent song.
    "In A Future Age" - this presentation works quite well for this elegiac song, and I hear some electric guitar overdubs which thicken the sound nicely.
    "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart" - brilliant song of course but this version leaves me wanting to hear the band. The electric overdub near the end helps.
    "Hummingbird" - this one doesn't really work in an acoustic form in my opinion. My least favorite track here (although I love the song itself). Not big on whistling solos either.
    "I'm Always In Love" - this one does work rather well as an acoustic song. No annoying synth here!
    "Sky Blue Sky" - good choice here and the solo acoustic approach is perfect for this one.

Overall, the album is a great listen. I do think it might have been better if Tweedy had varied his approach instrumentally - perhaps using different guitars (a 12-string might have been a good choice for a few songs) or varying his playing style somewhat (less finger-plucking, more pick). Perhaps it could have been polished up somewhat as well; so many of these sound like first takes. Still, at only 38 minutes, the album doesn't overstay its welcome and is a nice addition to the greater Tweedy catalog. "Laminated Cat" is my personal keeper track here.