Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"How Hard Is It For A Desert To Die"- Sounds like the end of a night after the party. This is the cue for everyone to please leave. I need to lye down and float off to sleep. I like all the echo like effects and it's a strong set of lyrics. I like this song a lot, but its not gonna be a song I'm always in the mood for. Perhaps it goes on too long or maybe I'm just being impatient this morning. It does sound very much in line with some of the Sukierae material. Hard to fault a song like this and I imagine it gets lovelier the more it sinks into your brain. 4/5

2. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

How Hard... I expected some dislike for this one, but everyone seems positive. I’m definitely a fan of this one and maybe surprisingly so, as it’s definitely the closest thing to Sukierae, just in terms of an overall depressing vibe.

Where I like this one better than Sukierae’s languid tracks:
    • I love, love, love the faux country steel all through this track. Feels like those late 70s Neil Young songs... Jeff recently covered an American Stars and Bars track on his live cast of the new material, too
    • I find the drums aren’t flabby like I’m Sukierae... and in fact this thread helped me pinpoint those issues. It’s the kick drum sound on One True Vine that drives me nuts. It carries over into side A of Sukierae, especially the fast kick drum work on Diamond Light. But by side B, the kick drum tightens up. Doesn’t seem to bother others, but it’s like that squeaky drum pedal on some Zeppelin records for me... once you hear it, it’s all you hear! So whether it’s how Spencer tunes his drum or a mic’ing thing, I’m cool here! All the instruments work together
    As for yesterday’s conversation about Jeff’s increasing “samey-ness”, I think there were lots of good points. My growing opinion over the past few years, and Love is the King supports it, is that with Jeff didn’t really get to where he wanted to be until Sukierae (what I call Wilco 3.0).

Prior to that, I think there was so much experimentation because he was developing the building blocks he needed. Learning to use a studio. Learning to arrange. Learning to manage a band. Learning to write poetry.

Looking back along the way, we’ve seen him innovate, innovate, innovate. And sometimes fans get frustrated when it pushes too far (a 10-minute drone?), and sometimes not enough (WTA seemed underwhelming to many because it was more of the same).

Beginning with Sukierae, though, the focus seems to narrow in on the songs. And whether I as a fan like a particular song or not kind of becomes irrelevant. Jeff isn’t trying to make another Summerteeth or Ghost or even a “let’s all hang out in the Loft and play” Sky Blue Sky. He’s just going to the Loft everyday and woodshedding as a songwriter. And for whatever reasons strike his fancy, some songs land in the Wilco pile, or the solo pile, or the Mavis pile, etc.

Because of this, I can totally understand why it gets a bit polarizing for fans (perhaps even more so than when he started moving away from “Americana”). While there is still sonic experimentation (take Magnetized for example), the emphasis really becomes expressing some form of truth through a song.

Notice, too, how much shorter the songs and albums are now. Everything is tightly focused around a little song idea. For some of us these songs really emotionally resonate (thanks @Parachute Woman for sharing your love for Love is the King). For others, they don’t. And I think that’s fine. However, I certainly don’t foresee Tweedy moving beyond this mode any time soon.

As a closing thought, I think you can make comparisons to career-long artists who settled into a groove. Tom Petty is one for me. There are huge Petty fans (and some of you are here!) who just love his work and find the value in every album that came along. I’m one where I can recognize his talent and craft, and I can’t think of ever not enjoying a song of his. But there’s a certain sameness to it, even across producers and collaborators (Solo, Heartbreakers, Mudcrutch)... it’s always his drawl and his melodic sensibility. For me a Greatest Hits and an album here or there will do. I imagine it’s now the same with Tweedy... most of us will appreciate the new songs for a cursory listen, but only some of us are waiting on baited breath for the new album.

3. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Great post. This part sticks out. I don't think albums like Warm or Love is the King or Ode to Joy are designed for a 'cursory listen,' or come off well in that light. They aren't exciting at all as background music! They don't rock. They don't have big memorable hooks. They aren't even quirky or weird. And, more and more, I think this is working against these albums if one doesn't take the time to give them concentrated, engaged listens in which the subtleties of the arrangements and the powerful, personal lyrics can be absorbed and appreciated.

This isn't to say that everyone (or every Jeff Tweedy fan) MUST like these albums. Of course not. But I think some people who might actually really connect with this work are honestly just not taking any time to engage with them in a real way and are thus missing what's great on them. I actually think this is a symptom of a larger issue with music consumption/music fandom in the modern age. Over and over again on this forum and elsewhere I see people opine that they don't have the time/the inclination to give new releases in depth focus before they move on to something else.

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

Great post, as always. I agree with everything and will add my two cents. Tweedy's career has been a quest. At the beginning, he was on the passenger side, but he soon made it clear that he didn't like to ride in it, as we all know and love to sing along with him… Then he had to reconcile two aspects of his life. Learning how to be a professional musician (put a band together, find the right partners, create a collaborative space for each other, establish an effective livelihood) and learning how to be a functional human being (the funny toilet paper story in his book : for years, he was not able to buy toilet paper, he had to learn how to do it). Functional human being = reliable and trustworthy husband, father, citizen, son, friend. Lest we forget he was an addict : those things aren't to be taken for granted…
    So yeah, I agree, Sukierae changed everything, not only because of the way his music was created or presented, but because for the first time, the music and the personal life were not two separate things anymore, but one and the same. Fact is : music is now part of his daily family life and routine. And Wilco's not. Wilco will happen from time to time, whenever the mood will be right, whenever they'll feel the urge to create something together. I love Ode to Joy, I think it's one of their/his very best records ever, and one of the reasons is it was not an obligation for them to make it. They don't have to release anything new anymore. At this stage, Jeff could do solo/family records every six months and then tour with Wilco every two years with no new LP to promote, the concert halls would be packed just the same… One last thing : I can't help but find very amusing that so many fans that are very vocal about their dislike of the "demo sound" of Jeff's recent records are now clamoring their love for the demo disc in the new Summerteeth set… Make up your mind, people ! :shrug:

5. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

I don't know. Sometimes I find myself immersed in the desert atmosphere. Sometimes I'm waiting for this song to end. I'm not that sensitive to poetry, so that's not a bonus.

6. Parachute Woman

Where are you seeing review of the Summerteeth set? Most of the posts in that thread are related to DR and shipping so far!

Fortuleo likes this.
  7. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Pitchfork has a review...

Wilco: Summerteeth (Deluxe Edition)

8. Parachute Woman

Yes, Zeki shared it last page. And it's a good review! It seemed like Fortuleo meant reviews from fans, which is what I was asking after. :)

mark winstanley likes this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

This is such a true statement, and not just for Wilco.
    The blizzard of internet distractions, and change in lifestyle has damaged music a lot.
    I know from my experiences that you get a little older, have lots of experience listening to music, become complacent, expect the music to jump out and grab you by the throat like it did when you were a pup etc etc.... but when you were a pup, everything was fresh and new, everything grabbed you by the throat, because you listened to it... intensely....

One thing the forum really did for me was show me clear and plain, that I wasn't listening to music like I did when I was a pup, hence I wasn't involved in it the same way, hence I too easily dismissed stuff without a fair and proper hearing.

Sorry I haven't been in on these last few, but that up their sort of explains why. If I can't find the time to do it properly, I don't dishonor the music by giving it the sideline.

I still love y'all though:)

10. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Ah. I don't think fans have it yet. I keep getting emails from Wilco about how the release (the vinyl at least) keeps getting pushed back due to manufacturing delays.

11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

He was certainly productive on these sessions, but was he inspired or just puttering around? Did he take care to develop his songs to their full potential, or was he content just to get something down and move on? Did he set a high bar for release, or was he just trying to purge it all from his system? Maybe he does just enjoy the puttering around as a kind of therapy, like a hobby, IDK. If you get a lot out of it, more power to you. Maybe I'm just not ever going to be in the mood. I'm not saying that this music is bad, anyway, but I feel like it's below his standards.

Now, having said that, I feel like "How Hard It Is For a Desert to Die" is rather pretty, if cryptic. Beautiful guitar lines, but I think Spencer would've served the song better if he'd laid out or maybe done something more subtle with brushes. I take it that the song is meant to be a somber reflection, after attending his father's funeral as depicted in "Don't Forget"; but, although the lyrics are ultimately hopeful, the music sounds like it's coming from the depths of despair. That plodding drum part in particular really drags me down and leaves me there. I'm sorry, but the word "lethargic" does come to mind.

12. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

It’s streaming on Apple.

jalexander likes this.
  13. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Oh, wow, I really love this one. "How Hard It Is For A Desert To Die" reminds me very much of the fractured alt-country of Richard Buckner or perhaps the work of Calexico (a fantastic band) and Giant Sand. The lyrics are very brief but packed with potent imagery. The crickets in the background give this an audio verite aspect that is rather unique in Tweedy's catalog.

This is probably one of my favorite Tweedy songs period. Fantastic.

14. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I played the hell out of Warm, left it in my car CD player for probably three or four weeks after I bought it. But I've been busy, so I'm saving my energy for Ode. Maybe I'll get my head into Jeff solo mode in the meantime, dunno.

Parachute Woman and jalexander like this.
  15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I checked the bmi database on the 3rd and Jeff had 401 songs registered. Just checked a few moments ago: 414.

jalexander likes this.
  16. awsop

awsop Forum Resident

Let me guess:
    - was he inspired ? Yes
    - did he care for the full potential ? Not necessarily
    - trying to purge it from his system ? Probably
    - did he set a high bar for release ? Moderately

Comparing Warm to Ode To Joy it dawned on me how different they sound. I don’t know about the background of the making of both albums, but I can imagine that Warm was recorded and produced much faster than OTJ.
    Some artists (Dylan, Young) like (did like?) to record their music in a few takes to preserve spontaneity. They thought it would give the best results this way. Others, like Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac, were busy for ages painstakingly refining their product before it was released.
    I can imagine Jeff likes both approaches, realizing them through his solo and group albums.

For me Warm has the potential pitfall that I did like it very quickly. Normally I've to play a record more often, before it appeals to me. When my excitement is coming so easy, part of it tends to fade out soon as well.
    Just recently I’ve got into OTJ, it took me a long time. These hard coming records tend to be more ‘sustainable’.

17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

"Some Birds" has some GREAT lyrics, man [, woman].

"How hard is it for a desert to die" is some good slow Tweedy.

I'm only good for general comments this morning. Analysis zero.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    jalexander and Fortuleo like this.
  18. Parachute Woman

Sorry for the later post than usual. Saturday morning chores and errands, you know...

Let's Go Rain

Another of the 'singles' from this album and certainly one that Jeff used to promote Warm. He performed it live a lot and there are many great live versions all over YouTube. The song itself is a very likeable country-tinged track with some self-deprecating humor. It's more uptempo than the tracks that preceded it and Jeff sings in a more strident vocal style. The result is a track that makes me smile. He's cheering the rain on here, calling for another flood like the one that Noah built an ark for to wash away the sins, but he's doing it in a very laconic way I feel. He also reflects on his own relationship with God. I think this verse is the most central to the song:

Now once upon a time I was a Christian
    I didn't know I didn't need to know
    When the sky speaks I'm going to listen
    And when it's pissin' I'll just figure I'm alone

That is very dryly funny to me, and I say this as a Christian. I wouldn't say this is a 'light' track, but it's certainly lighter than at least the previous two songs and it's a welcome lift up at this point in the album. Very melodic, very well sung and very Jeff Tweedy.

rancher, robcar, frightwigwam and 7 others like this.
  19. Parachute Woman

Here's just one of the great live versions of this track available. This is Jeff performing on Live from Here with the great Chris Thile:

This is even more country than the version on the album. I like that fiddle a lot. The backing vocalists keep singing the wrong thing, but I think that adds to the charm.

20. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Right up there with "Don't Forget" as a favorite. His version of a spiritual? Symbolic use of water as a cleansing of sorts, be it good or bad. Water just might drown you, but you can't live without it. Why do I sense some strange connection to "Passenger Side"?

jalexander and Parachute Woman like this.
  21. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I enjoy the hell out of the mid-seventies Neil Young guitar sound, the singing is fantastic (high & low voice again !) and I adore the chord (and vocal) change starting the "Oh I should build a wooden ark" bridge, proof that even when he's joking around, the melodist in him, Jeff the musician, is still there, looking for a hook, like Lennon was on the verses of a throwaway song like Bungallow Bill. I like to add it to my "Greatest Tweedy Hits" list, the songs that should've/could've been hits, if the times were different. I remember a nice banter moment, when a guy in the crowd screamed "c'mon Jeff, play the hits !". To which Jeff snappily replied something like "mmm, I think you got the wrong band…" Funnily enough, with a few exceptions (the most spectacular being Locator), he's almost never failed to release the parallel universe hits as "singles" (What Light, You Never Know, I Might, Summer Noon, Some Birds, Love is Everywhere…) I'm pretty sure Jeff would've loved to be a hit-maker !

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I like this but can’t help noticing Jeff looking like he’s playing outdoors in a New Brunswick winter (or wherever that was where Egan took a flying leap off the stage) while the backing vocalist looks like it’s midsummer in Manhattan.

jalexander likes this.
  23. fredyidas

fredyidas Forum Resident

I love the guitar on this one, and the melody is very catchy. I was thinking about this song this morning because I knew it was the next one to post, and I couldn't help singing it in the shower (appropriate!). In just listening, I was thinking "who is that on background vocals?", and I realized "It's Jeff!"

jalexander and Parachute Woman like this.
  24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Let's Go Rain"- I hate to be the negative one on this joyous day, but this gets an immediate skip for me. It's one of the reasons I was initially turned off by this album. Nothing wrong with a little light and fun sing-along, but this one annoys me. I don't like the cutesy lyrics, Jeff's vocal, or the melody that can get stuck in your head and you wish would go away. It is saved somewhat by the electric guitar parts which @Fortuleo mentions has a bit of mid 70s Neil Young vibes. Maybe I am being too harsh, but I doubt I'll ever come around to this song. Possibly my least favorite song since "Sonny Feeling". 2/5

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

On my initial run-through on the album I marked it in the plus column but...on second listen did dial it down a bit. I don’t dislike it but think it’s more of a live singalong.