Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I never mind talking Joni! Joni never released anything approaching a bad album. Even my least favorite from her (Dog Eat Dog) is pretty interesting and includes several strong songs. Among her post age 50 albums, I count both Turbulent Indigo and Shine among my top ten favorite Joni albums (along with Night Ride Home, but, as you say, that was put out before she turned 50). Travelogue and Both Sides Now are both excellent. Taming the Tiger is more mixed but it has 'Harlem in Havana' and several other stellar songs. I don't typically like to self-promote because I find it weird, but I am actually filming 30 minute reviews of every album in Joni's catalog on my YouTube channel. I'm through Chalk Mark and my review of Night Ride Home is posting this Friday, so I'm just heading into this period if you are interested in my deeper thoughts re: Joni Mitchell.

Anyway!

Love is Everywhere (Beware)

We come to a very special track on the album and the song picked as the first 'single' (we've talked about what a 'single' even means for Wilco). "Love is Everywhere (Beware)" is just dynamite to my ears. An enchanting and beautiful main guitar part, a completely gorgeous vocal melody, a sweet vocal performance from Jeff that perfectly suits the subject matter (I love the softness in his voice here--so tender but powerful at the same time)...I wouldn't change a note of this song and it is one of my very favorite Wilco songs overall. It is also a song for which I haven't yet found a great live version. I think the studio version is the definitive take for me. The way the acoustic guitar blends with the electric, the slide in the background, "right now, right now," the warm sound of the band. It actually gave me shivers the first time I heard this track. The lyrics are also great and interesting. I love the fact that the optimistic and joyous notion that "love is everywhere" is undercut slightly with the warning to "beware." As a wise man once said, 'only love can break your heart' and it is in giving yourself over fully to loving other people that you are opening yourself up to the pain of loss. It's just a part of life. That bittersweet truth. Ode to joy, indeed. I've been dealing with some stuff lately and this album (especially the last three tracks) has been the warm hug I need.

2. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Although near the end, Love Is Everywhere is the album’s obvious centerpiece. Great melody (you can’t avoid singing along to the chorus), and almost anthemic lyrics. This is a real winner. (But why beware when love is here?)

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Love Is Everywhere: This is a pleasant number, easy on the ears, and I can see why it was selected as the single.

I listen to everything with an ear towards my (in)famous playlist, though, and find this particular song lacking. I considered why and finally decided it just seems unfinished. It’s got one poppy ditty and then the glittery tailing flourish...and repeat. (I found myself thinking the same ‘unfinished’ thought for a later track. In that case, I’d placed it on my playlist but ended up cutting it).

So not playlist worthy but a perfectly inoffensive Jeff with Wilco song.

4. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

:eek: you warned me, but I still wasn't prepared
    Haters should beware, because love will prevail (I think). And also because he couldn't resist the wordplay?

I couldn't agree more with @Parachute Woman's post (edit : and disagree more with @Zeki's :confused:). What a song! This is glorious, melodic, mellifluous, enchanting pop, and a shimmering Wilco band track. When it was released as a single, I was ecstatic. I couldn't believe this tune and still can't. It was the first Wilco/Tweedy song that surprised me sonically in many many years. Nels’ circular riff is at the same time spectacular, guitar-heroic and almost classic rock sounding. The drums, percussions, tambourines, glockenspiel (maybe xylophone), the mantra vocals, it’s a rainbow with myriads of musical colors, a cathedral of chiming sounds. It kind of evokes the spirit of Thunderclap Newman's Something in the Air or Tom Petty’s cover of it, or maybe a Phil Spector Christmas single, only better. Off Tweedy’s attempts at great universal musical anthems, it's also much much better than What Light or Let’s Go Rain, maybe because it doesn’t just work as a singalong, as part of the audience, you don’t only sing with it, you sway with it, you let it carry you like a good waltz should, like you’re floating on a carousel of music. I felt it on first listen and I still do more than a year – and dozens of plays – later. A true highlight on an album full of them, and the first in a one, two, three punch of closing tunes, as good as any – I’d argue better than any – in the Wilcoverse.

5. Parachute Woman

:agree: You and I are on the same page once again, my friend.

palisantrancho and Fortuleo like this.
  6. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

:D Thank goodness I didn’t dislike or disparage the song.

frightwigwam and Fortuleo like this.
  7. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Ode to Joy - a sad reminder that this band appears creatively spent.

It's been awhile since Wilco put out a superlative album, IMO (The Whole Love), but I was hoping that the title of this album portended a return to form before I heard it.

Instead, it was another uninteresting Jeff Tweedy solo album masquerading as a Wilco album. Whatever wonderful thing that Wilco once was seems over. Which is OK - they had a really nice run; about a 15-year run as one of my favorite bands.

frightwigwam and Zeki like this.
  8. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

As I recall, Love is Everywhere was inspired by certain political activities Jeff was involved in at the time. To keep inside forum rules, I won’t discuss those, but link to further info for those interested:
    Wilco's Jeff Tweedy pens open letter after Women's March photo draws ire

In that light, I interpret the “Beware” subtitle as referring to Love as a weapon. In a time of darkness, he’s affirming the ability to fight negativity with love rather than more negativity.

As for the music, it’s a great pop song and a much better anthem than previous attempts like What Light and Let’s Go Rain. The main riff is also awesome. It’s not that difficult to play, but Nels handles it with such confidence. It’s a nice shift from his usual skronkiness and tendency to make everything wobbly and off-kilter. Not that I mind that, but it’s cool to see him play straight when the song calls for it.

9. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

More "Love Is Everywhere," less "We Were Lucky," better album.

Re: singles. Again, we have to change how we think of singles and focus on what they mean in terms of streaming and the internet. It's no accident that many labels have their artists float a handful of tracks weeks or a month apart before an album release - sometimes the entire album. Very often these days, I won't know an album is out until the day of release, or sometimes later reading a review or talking to a friend. We need our attention drawn to bands we like or love now more than ever, as there are such an unbelievable amounts of junk and noise taking up space out there! It used to be you'd physically go to the record store and see with your own eyes what came out that Tuesday, Not anymore.

10. jalexander

We’re very much on the same page @Fortuleo !

Fortuleo likes this.
  11. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I love this thread - I always learn new stuff and get great lyrical interpretations that hadn't occurred to me. I listened to Star Wars last Friday night with a deeper appreciation. I can see I'm going to have to do the same with Ode this weekend.

12. Parachute Woman

You are of course allowed to feel however you like, but have you read any of the other posts regarding this album here? Just to see an alternate perspective? I think this is a superlative album and it is perhaps my second favorite Wilco album, following YHF. It's certainly one of the most moving to me on a personal level.

13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Agreed, pleasant and enjoyable. I might put it on a playlist ... and it's the only Ode to Joy song I knew going into our current discussion!

frightwigwam, jalexander and Zeki like this.
  14. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Yes, I've read almost every page in this thread, albeit often not as it's happening (I have a hard time staying with the "song-by-song" format of the album-by-album threads).

Remember - a long way back in the thread now - that I said something about how I regard Jeff Tweedy's lyrics as being among the least important elements of Wilco to me? Well, once Wilco edged toward being more of Jeff Tweedy project than a band, I don't think it's unusual that someone with this opinion would find that the music suffered for it. I just don't care enough about the guy or how he expresses himself in lyrics to be all that interested in sparely-arranged songs whose primary purpose is to showcase his writing.

I like to play thought experiments to be fair and objective about favorite bands of mine that go through decline, such as cutoff points where, if that material was all there was to the band, would I have ever been a fan. If Wilco had started their career with Star Wars, for example, would I be a fan of Wilco? If they started with Schmilco, would I care about them even a little bit? The answer to both of these questions is a likely "no." I enjoy Star Wars for what it is, through the prism of having already been through everything else that the band did. But if that was the debut album, would I have been excited about it? Would I have invested the time to get to know it, without the many years of goodwill built up? Probably not. And Schmilco - Warm - Warmer - Joy I find too often to be flaccid and boring. Sure, there are some songs that I like on all of these albums, but how much of that is due to me already being such a fan of the earlier albums ? Too often, the songs on these albums aren't things that, for the most part, I enjoyed about earlier Wilco albums.

15. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Love is Everywhere"- I can't see any Wilco fan not liking this song. Shimmering guitar, beautiful melody, and the clear choice for the album single. It has a dream like quality that can melt away your anxiety and give you some peace for 3:33 minutes. I'm right on board with @Fortuleo and @Parachute Woman for the phenomenal one, two, three, punch of the closing tunes. Wilco at the top of their game. 5/5

16. fredyidas

fredyidas Forum Resident

Love Is Everywhere (Beware) is one of my favorites from Ode To Joy. The circular guitar riff grabbed me immediately. The slide guitar is nice too, and the percussion on this track is phenomenal. I agree with PW that Jeff's vocal on this song perfectly matches the subject matter and the feel of the track. I have always been intrigued by the (Beware) part of the title and lyrics, and I like the interpretation about love being a weapon against those who hate. Great tune!

17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Good point.

18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Personally, I’d roll out ‘Everyone Hides’ as the big promotional number from Ode To Joy. I’m listening to it now and it still keeps my attention with variations and all sorts of interesting stuff.

19. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I don’t see how anyone could watch this and still believe that Glenn is being restrained creatively.

20. jalexander

To add to this, I would say my Wilco listening has become more invested in Tweedy as a person over the years too. My early exposure - Mermaid, Summerteeth, AM - required no investment in the people in the band. I have a vague recollection of a PBS live set and thinking “that guy with the dreads is really into it on that Hammond”. But lyrics like, “gambling like a fiend on your tables so green”... any of the Woody stuff... and certainly “I dreamed about killing you again last night”, didn’t require me to know the songwriter. These were just interesting songs I read through whatever lens I wanted. And although there is some deeply autobiographical stuff on Yankee and Ghost, I had no awareness of it when I went in deep on those albums.

Now, however, I have a long investment in the Tweedy narrative. I’ve seen the documentaries. Read the interviews. Tied all of these songs into a narrative on addiction and mental health and coming to terms with life and death and family - a narrative that has personal meaning for me too.

Beyond that, the latest series of releases are closely tied to Jeff’s memoir and growing political activism. So when he sings about “eight tiny lines of cocaine”, I know the specific story from his teen years to which he’s referring. Then then new album evolved in his living room with his family there. So when I hear those songs, I actually hear his wife’s response in my head. And not some abstract celebrity rock wife’s voice. But a cancer survivor and mother of two boys whose voices I also know, and a social activist too. Who collects pop culture knickknacks. So listening to new Tweedy/Wilco is very different from what I heard twenty years ago. And I can totally understand why some fans simply say, “it’s not for me anymore”.

One interesting point about aging artists is that most of them get further away from us as they grow in wealth and celebrity. Strangely, Jeff has in many ways grown closer.

21. Parachute Woman

These are both fantastic posts that perfectly illustrate two differing perspectives on the same art in articulate, thoughtful ways. This is a truly fascinating conversation, not just about Wilco but about how fans consume art and, particularly, the art of creators we have some level of investment in at one time or another. Thank you both so much. The wheels in my head are really turning!

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I can understand what you’re saying though I don’t share your timeline. I’ve already described the intensity of the experience for me circa Summerteeth/YHF. So that personal experience is very Jay Bennett specific. I’ve never experienced anything remotely like that before.

Same thing as you’re describing to an extent.

23. fspringer

fspringer Forum Resident

Oddly, I find myself disliking him the more I "know" him. Lord knows, I wasn't a bully in high school. But I find myself wanting to get into a time machine so I could go back to 1982 or so and give him the wedgie of a lifetime in the high-school parking lot while Van Halen blared from the Audiovox car cassette player in my used Ford Pinto.

I think he's carefully structuring an image as this wounded warrior who's made some sense of his life and come out the other end of addiction with an understanding of life's depth and feeling. I buy it to a point, and I salute him for kicking the habit. The red herring for me will always be how handles the legacy of Jay Bennett: the very careful way he laid out their life together in his book, and his seeming refusal to acknowledge him going forward. Not that the needs to dote on the legacy, or even bother mentioning it once a year. I just get the feeling there's a lot of unresolved issues there, and they tie into his feelings of self worth as an artist. In terms of drugs, who wrote what (Jay's acting of detailing who did what seemed to have the effect of an atom bomb being dropped ...), lawsuits, credit where it is or isn't due, etc. He took the reigns after Jay, and he's never let go, never put himself in a position again where any one band member is going to be perceived that way. I salute him for that, too, as he answered a lot of questions on A Ghost Is Born. But I've always had the feeling that he's surrounded by a talented band of well-meaning "yes" men, as opposed to the far more open, creative entity early Wilco was.

I put "know" in quotations above because I recognizing he's fashioning an image. A real, down-to-earth human image, but an image nonetheless. It isn't him, and I recognize it. And I don't really have that big a problem with it, save he appears to be shifting into confessional singer/songwriter mode ... and to this day, I don't think he's all that confessional!

24. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

"Love Is Everywhere (Beware)" is brilliant. With a gorgeous melody and a perfect Tweedy vocal, this one has an anthemic quality to it. A true late-period highlight for Wilco.

(As an aside wrt the link to the Tribune article, my wife and I attended the 2017 Women's March in Washington D.C. and it was an amazing experience!)

25. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Nice post. I, too, think too-much-information. Oftentimes, he appears very needy.

frightwigwam and jalexander like this.