Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

The book, Let's Go, So We Can Get Back, is a great. It's a must read even if you're remotely interested in all-things Wilco. Jeff has a wickedly funny sense of humor.

2. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Weird. I haven't looked up the shows I've been to, but of the 15+ times I've seen them live, I think I've only heard it once.

3. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I can hear bits of The Beatles, too. Like ‘Drive My Car.’

Fortuleo likes this.
  4. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Agree, it's OK not to like every song, this one just doesn't do much for me either, and especially in relation to the rest of the music on disc one. I rocked out to it in a live club setting back in the day (and I would do so again today, if given the chance) but don't find it nearly as special as the other material here given the overall excellence.

5. Balding Jay

Balding Jay Forum Resident

Funny, I also went without hearing these for the first 10 or so times I saw the band. (Once they played “I Got You” but without “Red-Eyed and Blue” so that doesn’t count.)

But then I saw them twice in 2019 and they did both songs at both shows. It comes and goes I guess.

6. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

Somehow I’ve missed this entire thread until just now :eek:. 58 pages is a little too much to wade through so I read the first 10 and realised I’d missed out on a lot of great discussion. I know intro’s were weeks ago but my start point was Schmilco and have worked forwards over the last few years from there. After reading Let’s Go (so we can get back) I picked up a number of cheap secondhand Wilco and Uncle Tupelo CDs over the last year and had put them aside to delve into at a later date. That time came earlier in the year, inspired by the brilliant Anodyne Rhino vinyl reissue. I’m taking my time to digest their early period first. I’m almost at Being There now...

Last week I was singing the I Got You lyric “it’s the end of the century” whilst making dinner in the kitchen. My 11yo daughter remarked “it’s not the end of the century! That was ages ago!”. Good song but seems to have dated in more ways than one!

7. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

"Red-Eyed And Blue"

Hard not to like this one. There's a real 'in studio' sound that gives it a certain atmosphere, while the backing instruments (piano, organ, tambourine) lend a homey feel to the song, and it's all over too quickly.

"I Got You (at the end of the century)"

Deceptively straight-ahead rocker, opening squiggles, multi-vocals, all driven by those guitars weaving in and around the melody. There's almost a 'classic rock' thing going on here, and yet it still has that down-to-earth quality about it; I just can't quite put my finger on it, but I do like this one a lot.

8. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Welcome @BlackCircleVinyl!

Next track:

What's the World Got in Store

'What's the World Got in Store' is the song on Being There that has been live the fewest number of times. I have to wonder why that is because I just love this song. It is one of my very favorite deep cuts on this record, buried as it is towards the end of the first disc. It's just a sweet, sweet song. I've always thought it had to be at least partially inspired by Jeff's son Spencer who was just a little baby at this point. A father wonders what paths his son's life will travel down. It's nice to listen to it now and know that Spencer and Sammy have both turned out to be fine young men and very talented. The melody is tuneful and easy to sing along with. I love the backing vocals and that gentle sighing swell of voices backing up Jeff. I love how it starts with just voice and banjo but the arrangement builds up warmly. The organ solo is just plain lovely. This is one that always puts a smile on my face. It is full of warmth.

9. Parachute Woman

Here's a rare live performance (only 29 total performances logged on setlist.fm) of this track from 2010:

Gosh, this melody fits Jeff's voice like a glove.

10. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Hearing this song from the perspective of a father of young children, I think it's definitely informed by the experience. I used to think it was about a fracturing relationship, especially the bits about trying hard not to feel like a liar. But that rings truer to me now from having had the experience of being a new father and needing to show up with my full self every day. At least part of the song might be directed to Susie, not Spencer: "You've been working hard and I know you're tired." Of course, that could have meaning for both a new mom and an infant baby.

A lovely song, rich with meaning both personal and relatable.

11. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

This is great. As far as the arrangements are concerned, this sounds very very close to some Mermaid Avenue tracks.

Of course, it's not a highlight of the record, but it's one of those deep cuts that define how great a band is. If your 12th best song on any given LP is "What's the World Got in Store", then you've got quite an album in your hands. Now don't start, you thread participants, I don't really mean it's precisely the 12th best song on the LP, I haven't checked, but you know what I mean.

12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

What's the world got in store.
    This sounds nice with the sparse opening. It sounds very intimate and personal. I like the way they work the melody.

When everything comes in, it gives a twist.... kind of like "hey you're not alone".
    The changes in the full section are really cool, and give the melodic structure a really nice twist.

So far, an album full of winners for me.

13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I agree with Parachute and Gabe about What's the World Got in Store. It's a great deep cut, and an indication of how good this album is.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

8/8 in terms of liked songs. The intro, with the plucked banjo, dial things down after the exuberance of I Got You. Max Johnston on the banjo.

Jeff Tweedy’s vocal draws the listener into what at first almost sounds like a lullaby. The organ and the vocal harmonies are other highlights of the song.

I thought the end note would have been a perfect starting point to I Got You. :D Though that could be because each of these daily songs end up being my ear worm for the day. So that might be a holdover from yesterday.

A gem of a song though the committee will probably keep it off of the playlist.

15. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

This playlist thing just cannot work for the "Being There to A Ghost is Born" Wilco era. But I suspect that's exactly the point you're trying to make ! :crazy:

16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I could just set Being There aside. But I started the process...so?

mark winstanley likes this.
  17. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

What’s the World Got in Store? is a beautiful track.

18. Parachute Woman

Somewhat off topic (well, Wilco is the topic and this is my thread so... :)): a friend of mine on YouTube put out an idea of creating 6 song sampler playlists to introduce artists we love to new fans. I've been having fun playing around with that for a bunch of my favorite artists. This is the one I put together for Wilco:

1. Sunken Treasure
    2. A Shot in the Arm
    3. Ashes of American Flags
    4. Hummingbird
    5. Impossible Germany
    6. Whole Love

Six tracks isn't many, so I tried to pick proven fan favorites and showcase both the melodicism and the experimentation.

19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

A nice showcase list. A sampler, as you say, has a different intent, an evangelical motivation (?!). Your list looks good to me.

(My preliminary, non-evangelical/preaching to the choir, list retains about 70% of Being There. Any more cuts and someone would have to threaten me with pliers.)

20. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

What's the world got in store -

After End of the Century, we hit a string of tracks that are less influenced by a particular band or sound, IMO, and are just straight-up Wilco. I really like this one. This and a couple of others on the album take simplicity and elevate it, IMO. Also, as I've said earlier that I regard the Wilco lyrics to generally be among the less important aspects of their music that I pay attention to, I do particularly like the lyrics on this song.

21. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Red Eyed/I Got You - I have a lot of love for these and like that they are kept together as a duo. I Got You may be my favorite Wilco rocker!

22. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

That list definitely fits your criteria in the description! From my angle, I might do something like:

1. Misunderstood
    2. The Late Greats
    3. Theologians
    4. Side with the Seeds
    5. California Stars
    6. Poor Places

23. Parachute Woman

I like yours a lot too. California Stars and Poor Places were both on my short list of possibilities.

Zeki and mark winstanley like this.
  24. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"What's the World Got In Store"- A sweet little song perfectly placed on the album. Parachute Woman summed it up beautifully. 4/5

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

If nobody minds me playing, as the somewhat newbie.

My six would probably be

Misunderstood
    Can't stand it
    Jesus, etc
    Handshake drugs
    You are my face
    Dawned on me