Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Here's that alternate version:

I agree. It's good, but I think they nailed it with the album version. The fiddle is pretty.

2. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Thanks for pointing at this alternative version. I just listened now and Max Johnston and his fiddle are featured. Kot Book quotes him as being extremely frustrated, saying that Jay Bennett took all the solos until there wasn’t anything left for him (Max) to contribute. It seems the released version (vs alternate) is an example of what he’s talking about.

3. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Say You Miss Me - yes it is wistful, beautiful at times. Not one of my go to tunes for the album, but it fits nicely and has its place. I don't skip it :D

4. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

#SayYouMissMeisjustok. Maybe if we dive deeper we'll find sunken treasure.

5. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Say You Miss Me"- Maybe the most straight forward song on the album. It's not trying to be anything more than a beautiful melody with a heartfelt vocal by Tweedy. I have always loved it, and over the years it's one of my most played songs on the album. It has a feel good quality and that melody is begging you to sing along. Wilco in an easy listening mood. A perfect ending to the first album. 5/5

6. Rockford & Roll

Rockford & Roll Forum Resident

Say You Miss Me is a sweet song and a nice way to wind down the side. Well done!

7. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

So the first disc ends with "Hotel Arizona" and "Say You Miss Me" both good tunes that really hammer home the underlying theme of the album title. I like how the majority of songs so far relate to a protagonist wanting to get back to somewhere/someone/sometime:

Misunderstood: "When you're back in your old neighborhood The cigarettes taste so good"
    Far Far Away: "I long to hold you in my arms and sway Kiss and ride on the CTA I need to see you tonight"
    Monday:"Well I cut class In school, yeah Now I know I made a mistake"
    Forget the Flowers: "I left you behind, I know it's been a long time But I'm not over you"
    Red-Eyed and Blue:" When we came here today All I wanted to say Is how much I miss you"
    I Got You: "It's the end of the century And I can't think of anything Except you"
    What's The World Got In Store: "Come on baby somehow, I need you Do I have to show you how, baby?"
    Hotel Arizona: "I feel some connection between you and me Well I guess there's some direction Maybe you can't see"
    Say You Miss Me: "Do you miss me too? Baby, say I miss you Just say you miss me too"

There's only one song that's the antithesis to the desire of "Being There" and that's the "hit" single which I'd rather keep OuttaMind anyway... Bring on disc 2!

8. Parachute Woman

Very fine observations here, @planetexpress! Being There. It's quite an evocative title, isn't it? Being 'here' and wishing you were 'there.'

WilliamWes, Rainy Taxi, awsop and 5 others like this.
  9. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

What a great way to sum up the songs of the record so far! "Being 'here' and wishing you were 'there.'". Maybe that's obvious to most people already but it needed to be said...

10. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

The countermelody keyboard on Hotel Arizona sounds like a Vox Continental to me... think The Doors’ Light My Fire.

Say You Miss Me is a nice sentimental way to end the first disc. I especially like some of the gang vocals on harmonies. That’s one element of early Wilco that has sadly faded away (and I’m a fan of recent Wilco work).

11. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

"Say You Miss Me" ties back into the lyrics of "Far, Far Away" and "What's the World Got in Store?"--baby, I miss you; I know you're working hard; honest, I'm not a liar; and there is some breakdown in communication. But, in this case, he's addressing an ex just after a breakup that evidently wasn't a clean break. So, I guess it wasn't written about his own situation at the time, but most people probably have had that kind of experience. I can relate, but I think it's the least of those three ballads. Kind of feels like this was tucked away and hidden at the end of Disc 1. I like the melody of the chorus and backup vocals, though. Maybe if I were going through a messy post-breakup scene right now, this would hit me harder.

12. BlackCircleVinyl

BlackCircleVinyl Forum Resident

I've come to the Being There album in an obtuse way by picking up the Live at The Troubadour 1996 Record Store Day vinyl which was sitting in my local store for a couple of years before I recently purchased it. I don't even own a physical version of Being There! Obviously the Troubadour set is part of the Deluxe CD box (but not part of the Deluxe Vinyl box). So almost all of my experience with this album is via this live set. Say You Miss Me is somewhat awkwardly wedged between Monday and Outtasite (Outta Mind) in the Troubadour set-list which doesn't do it too many favors. It's a great song and one of my favorites from the album. I enjoy it's simplicity and its' timeless quality. It feels more like the work that Wilco and Jeff Tweedy (Solo) are doing now, which is my "sweet spot" for the bands work... I'm definitely a late-comer to the band.

13. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Hey we love all Wilco followers, glad to have you!!

14. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

"Say You Miss Me" is such a great way to end the first disc or "album." I am not sure if this is the best way to describe it, but it seems like a very "delicate" song to me. At times it seems like all the elements of it are barely holding together and at any time could just scatter off in many different directions. But it holds together.

If this were a single album I could see this as a perfect album ending song. A perfect way to end an almost perfect record (so far). (I am not as big a fan of the second disc or album but we will talk about that later...)

15. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I also am not as big on disc 2, though it would have been fine on its own

16. Parachute Woman

Just as a prelude to where we are headed...I have come to appreciate the second disc more than I ever have before over the last two weeks as I have been listening to this album on repeat. It has revealed itself to me.

Also: The song will probably be posted a little later tomorrow morning. I have an errand to do.

17. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

"Say You Miss Me...", such a direct statement; just a lovely atmosphere overall, beautiful and aching, yet with a certain toughness and grit; pretty much a perfect record closer, vibe-wise. Masterpiece.

Doctorwu and Rockford & Roll like this.
  18. Parachute Woman

Okay...This morning we begin the second disc of Being There. This is the Birthday/Happy/Hey You moment on the record. We are deep in the middle of the overall statement, but we are also beginning fresh for the second half.

Sunken Treasure

Sunken Treasure is my favorite song on Being There and one of my top ten favorite Wilco songs easily. The first time I ever heard it, it reduced me to tears. It was a true and visceral reaction. While the song obviously shares some DNA with 'Misunderstood' and they seem to open the two discs as a deliberate pair, this one has always personally touched me a little bit more deeply. I think the melody is just stunning and the way Jeff sings it with such dejection and maybe even a little bit of self-loathing...man, it gets me. "If I had a boat you know I'd probably roll it over" with those ghostly echoes of the lines mixed way down low. Jay Bennett's piano figure on this song is gorgeous (he said he got it from "some Burt Bacharach song"--major points if any of you can figure that one out). This is another song that really hits on the themes of connection/disconnection all over this record. "I am so out of tune with you." Gosh, I've been there. And while the "If you still love rock' n roll" line in Misunderstood has been misconstrued as a rah-rah moment, I think the music love in 'Sunken Treasure' is genuine. Music is my savior. Maimed and tamed by rock 'n roll. Loving music isn't all about the good times. Sometimes the best songs cut so deep that they hurt. 'Sunken Treasure' is one of those for me. Beautiful with just the right amount of musical discord to reflect the complicated mental state of the narrator.

19. Parachute Woman

This live version at Farm Aid with just solo Jeff reveals that even without the gorgeous piano and the discordant passages and framed just as a simple folk song, 'Sunken Treasure' remains powerful and beautiful.

20. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Wonderfully composed essay. (I hope, Parachute Woman, that you’re saving your work outside of this thread. You’re putting a lot of work into it.) Yes, it’s the bookend to Misunderstood. Brilliant.

And for someone who doesn’t know how to play the piano, Bennett tickles the ivories just fine.

21. Parachute Woman

Thank you! Yes, I'm going to save all of my song intros I think. I saved all the essay length posts I wrote in the Joni Mitchell threads I ran (ha) and I'm glad that I did.

I can't believe that Jay was so nonchalant about his skills on the piano. I think he's really good.

22. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I just remembered that Jeff (and I probably read this in the Kot book) was insecure about his singing. I was shocked to read that as I’m drawn to his vocals and would never have imagined such a thing. But...Jay Bennett was evidently a great encouragement to him and helped Tweedy gain self-confidence.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Thanks for that write up Parachute Woman it helped draw me closer to this song.
    I think I have somewhat just let this song slide by previously. I am suspecting that a lot of disc two is going to be somewhat revelatory, as my disc is a single disc, so time being the factor it is, side two has probably received less listens, and therefore less closeness.
    This explains relationship issues really well, yet I kind of feel from my perspective that the "you" is actually life itself. I'm so out of tune with life in general, and hence "music is my ...." saviour may be a little strong, but the general idea is correct. An oasis in a desert storm.... the discordant sections fit perfectly.

The great thing to me about these threads, are moments like this, when something previously ok, has a clarity shine through, and make the connection to form a real bond.
    Nice one

24. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Sunken Treasure is the highlight of disc 2 to me, and one of the best on a great album. Beautiful acoustic guitar and piano. Love the vocal delivery of some of the "I am so out of tune" lines

25. Parachute Woman

I've ordered my copy of the Kot book, which should arrive in a day or two. I look forward to reading it and seeing what additional insights it provides. As I've said, I read it like eight years ago and don't remember much of it.