Wilco: Album by Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Parachute Woman, May 11, 2020.

1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Is there a reason you have pinpointed for why Natalie's work doesn't connect with you? Her first two solo albums are both in my all-time top 100 and Tigerlily is in my top 20. One of my favorite albums ever.

2. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Just stumbled on this clip in my Youtube feed. I had no idea that Carla Bozulich, with Nels Cline, opened for Golden Smog in 1996, and that Nels sat in with Golden Smog on their performance of "On the Beach." I only knew the connection went back to 2003, which Nels discusses here as well.

3. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I feel like that version of "On The Beach" ended up on a single b-side at some point. I'm fairly sure that I have it. I didn't know that the connection went that far back either.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  4. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Not really. There was something about her persona, at least as I perceived it at the time, that put me off. I can't really recall the specifics now.

The last songs of hers (that I've heard) that I really liked were "Noah's Dove" and "These Are Days" from the last studio album she did with the Maniacs, Our Time In Eden. My housemate at the time had Tigerlily, so I heard it, but it didn't connect. Perhaps I'd respond differently to hearing it today.

wavethatflag likes this.
  5. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Me too!

These two are a perfect pair. Four great songs in a row. Regardless of the tensions that may have gone in behind the scenes, the end product feels generously collaborative... sometimes it’s everyone cranking it out complete with gang vocals, and other times it’s a delicate acoustic guitar with a guest vocalist because it just sounds better that way.

6. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

My dad really liked Natalie Merchant, probably still does. Back in the day, because I've always really been into music (like most here) he asked me what I thought of her, and I said I thought she was OK, but I liked her better with 10,000 Maniacs (saw them open for R.E.M. on the Document tour). To me she has a Darius Rucker-type voice, or vice versa. Pleasant enough, but not much of a range as far as the singles I've heard. Very monotone to my ears. Female artists I really like are Joni Mitchell (and not just because she's the thread starter's avatar :D), Brittany Howard (saw Alabama Shakes and she was the show, clearly the best musician in that band), Sheryl Crow, Chrissie Hynde, Janis, Melissa Etheridge, Aretha--those are the ones I can name off the top of my head.

Listened to all of Mermaid Avenue last night. I was surprised how familiar I was with many of the songs because I've never listened to it that much.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  7. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

I have always loved Natalie since seeing 10,000 Maniacs in 1988 - and loved Tigerlily especially after that. I love her contributions here

8. Parachute Woman

Today we have one with full band participation:

Hoodoo Voodoo

'Hoodoo Voodoo' is unique on the album as is it is credited to 'Tweedy, Bragg, Bennett, Stirratt, Coomer, Corey Harris.' The entire band, plus Bragg and guest guitarist Harris. That definitely points the way to this being created in the studio like a jam. It has been performed live by both Wilco and Billy Bragg. It's got extremely silly lyrics that are full of wordplay and tell us all to dance a goofy dance.

Jinga, jangler, tingalingle,
    Picture on a bricky wall
    Hot and scamper, foamy lather, huggle me close
    Hot breeze, old cheese,
    Slicky slacky fishy tails
    Brush my hair and kissle me some more

This one is clearly just a laugh and not meant to be taken seriously. It's fun. It isn't one of my personal favorites on the album (I tend to favor wistful ballads over peppy comical songs) but it is a nice mix up to the sequencing after the last few songs and--again--shows a different side to Woody Guthrie. I'm not wild about Jeff's vocal performance on this one, though. It sounds purposefully strained and sloppy. Just a bit self-conscious for me.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

What did you think of her re-recording of Tigerlily? I like mature Natalie. Not saying its better... but I really enjoy some of her mature solo work. Big fan of her trad folk venture with "The House Carpenter's Daughter" and her 'children's double album "Leave Your Sleep"...

Ok. Back to Mermaid Avenue!

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Hoodoo Voodoo: I’m not a musician but I always think this one must have been difficult for Ken Coomer (or a lot of fun!) as the rhythm is a key component of the song. I like this song a lot as it is just fun with the silly lyrics and the shambolic playing.

11. Parachute Woman

I thought the Paradise is There re-recording was okay, but I've just never understood why musicians do that. Lucinda Williams did it recently too. I usually find the new results interesting but never better than the original. Unfortunately, I've found Natalie's more recent works a little bit on the dull side but still worth hearing.

lucan_g likes this.
  12. Fortuleo

Fortuleo Used to be a Forum Resident

I enjoy this as a little cousin of Dreamer in My Dream, only more beatlesque because of the Cowbell (straight out of Everybody’s Got Something to Hide…). This is fun and well sequenced, but it’s one of the very few tracks in the whole M.A project(s) that don’t sound very spontaneous to my ears. I know it’s paradoxical, since it was most certainly a jam turned into a song, but this is one of the few where I sense the “thinking” and calculation behind it, the stylistic exercise more than the real inspiration. And I agree that Jeff’s vocals are somewhat contrived.

13. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

Hoodoo Voodoo is a blast, especially near the end of a concert. I agree with Parachute Woman that on the studio version Jeff's vocals seem intentionally strained and it detracts from the song.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  14. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

Hoodoo is totally fun. I get that it sounds a bit contrived, but I still like it. If you’ve ever played it around kids, you’ll see that it works too. Live it’s more of a raucous, loud beast and loses some of the innocence.

Parachute Woman and Zeki like this.
  15. John C Bradley Jr

John C Bradley Jr Forum Resident

Hoodoo is a great song. Its slight, but slight in a totally good way. Its so "ramshackle." Its one of those Wilco songs (and I may have described other songs on Being There this way) that seems like at any moment it is going to fall completely apart, but it holds.

I love Jeff's voice on this song. Its on the borderline of being ragged and fits the song perfectly.

Fun, fun song.

16. rancher

rancher Unmade Bed

Yep, Hoodoo Voodoo is fun and is a laugh, I don't take it for anything else ... not really a "go to" for me, but not bad

Zeki and Parachute Woman like this.
  17. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I took a pretty deep dive into the songwriting abyss yesterday evening (one of the perks of not watching television) and came up with the following:
    1) songwriting is split equally between words and music. This means 50% of these Mermaid songs, right from the start, are credited to Woody Guthrie.
    2) then, it’s split into 2 parts: writing and publishing. Tweedy’s publishing company is words-ampersand music (BMI). Bennett’s starts out (here on Mermaid) as Titanic Majesties Music (ASCAP) and then becomes You Want A Piece Of This Music (ASCAP).
    3) If the writers are all BMI or all ASCAP it’s impossible to see percentage breakdown in credits. If there’s two writers (such as Tweedy/Bennett) with different administering organizations, then it becomes clearer. But, for example, 25.1% of Hoodoo Voodoo is under ASCAP (Bennett/Oji/Stirratt). 50% of the song is Guthrie (BMI), leaving (approx) 25% to Tweedy, Bragg and Coomer (BMI). In short, as is obvious, this was a jam and the six participants were all given an equal share.

I have further thoughts/discoveries, as well, (because it’s not all black and white) but will stop for now.

18. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Live, "Hoodoo Voodoo" has become a triple guitar workout and a nice little showcase for Pat. They did a killer version as the penultimate tune in Charlottesville, 2007, and then closed with "Spiders (kidsmoke)."

frightwigwam and Parachute Woman like this.
  19. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

Hoodoo is so playful. The entire ensemble captures the spirit of this song perfectly. It's one of those tunes that you hear and it makes you happy. I think it would be almost impossible to play this and become salty.

20. Balding Jay

Balding Jay Forum Resident

Hoodoo Voodoo might be my favorite live song of theirs. It’s on the short list for sure, especially when they do the whole dueling-guitar bit.

21. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

"Hoodoo Voodoo"- I agree with most of the posts here. A fun little song, but not one of the major tunes on the album. Sounds like they are all having fun and enjoying it. How can you not like the lyrics and the music they came up with? A very unique song in all aspects. 3.5/5

22. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

During a period of time they brought out a guitar tech (Josh) - shirtless, of course - to play the cow bell during the tune. Always a hoot.

23. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

Love whatever instrument that is at the end of Hoodoo Voodoo that sounds like a saxophone; it's a shame the song fades out when it does but I'm not sure how much longer they could stretch it out.

If you've never heard Billy Bragg's version here it is (Hoodoo Voodoo Ska):

Wonder if Wilco has ever preformed the song live like this before. I think I've heard a reggae version of Passenger Side once so it's not outside the realm of possibilities and would make a nice nod to Billy Bragg fwiw...

HenryH and Zeki like this.
  24. planetexpress

planetexpress Searchin' for light in the darkness of insanity.

And now I've just discovered a 2nd version of "Hoodoo Voodoo" under the title of "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8". The lyrics are a little more primitive and of course Billy Bragg's covered this one as well:

Billy Bragg - "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8"

Zeki likes this.
  25. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

"Hoodoo Voodoo" sounds like crazed carnival music, and also reminds me of "Kingpin." Like that song, I don't think this one comes across so well on the concert recordings, but on the album it's just good fun. Jeff's vocal suits the song: sort of silly, on the edge of delirium, and a kind of a marvel. How does he do that without immediately trashing his voice? Anyway, I dig it.

robcar and Zeki like this.