WILCO NEWS!! Ongoing Thread On All Things Wilco- Which Will Be Updated As Needed

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by linclink, Oct 16, 2012.

1. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

FYI I reached out to Flycast and asked if I was eligible for a free early download of the album even though I signed up yesterday afternoon, and they sent me a link. And I only bought a livestream for the Friday set, as well. So if you haven’t received a download link yet, I’d definitely e-mail them and ask for one.

2. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

M
    That's great information..I was eventually able to get hooked up through Wilco HQ via @TimeandTempo's post(with additional thanks to another fellow user :cheers: for the very gracious earlier PM), but, I know @jalexander was curious about getting access to it if buying a single day pass, so, they'll be happy with that update.

3. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

Slightly bored by this new record. And I love Ode to Joy, fwiw.

jalexander and Alien Ache like this.
  4. Alien Ache

Alien Ache Soul black vinyl to stop your tears

I’m fully on board with this opinion about Cruel Country relative to Ode to Joy. I’m obviously a booster for this “mumbly,” “same-y,” “dirge-y” (not my criticisms) era of the band and I’m happy to see that some are missing something with this new, more “classic” Wilco sound.

I’m actually digging the new album but I’ve only heard it twice and I’m still digesting it. But I think it’s safe to say I won’t like it more than Star Wars, Schmilco or OtJ.

5. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Thus far, I'd agree with those surprised that they've released this for the Memorial Day weekend, which is typically the unofficial kickoff to Summertime ;) here in the States.

I get that bands make a lot of dough touring the US during the warmer months, but, this undoubtedly feels like an Autumnal record to me, much like Schmilco & Ode did.

Opinions still percolating, but, I'm digging Jeff's vocals on here, the production is fantastic, and, the playing is sneakily solid.

They're such pros now that Wilco basically functions as a single organism when they play. Can't always tell who is doing what where, and that's not a complaint...Just that locked in.

Can't wait to see how they play these live.

6. Michaelpeth

Michaelpeth Forum Resident

It's too long, but there are some beautiful songs on it. I was utterly unimpressed on first listen, but I'm starting to warm to it slowly.

Trag likes this.
  7. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

This will be a grower. I’ll never understand how people can judge albums at first second or third listens. Especially a 21 song double album. I’ve only listened a few times but it’s opening up very nicely. I totally get it if people wanted the more “rocking” Wilco. This is certainly is not that and it also isn’t the “country” record it seemed hyped to be. But best to take it for what it is not for what it’s not. That’s pretty much been needed for every Wilco album since “Being There.”

8. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

I think that having marketed this as a country record kind of does it a disservice. I’m anxious to listen again without that genre in mind, because that’s not really what’s happening here.

9. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

How could anyone make any declarations about this record after a few days?

Is it all of the aging hipsters who projected this "American Radiohead" nonsense onto them two decades ago who find themselves "bored" with this one so far?

These folk, country, and Americana strains have always been the foundation of what they do. They just so happen to be the dominant forms on this one.

What say we give it a couple of weeks, eh?

10. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

The ‘aging hipsters Radiohead’ folks have gotta be younger than me…so, uh oh! I wonder what a ‘Being There is the Pinnacle’ guy like me will think. I guess I’ll know soon (as I haven’t heard it yet).

linklinc1 and oneway23 like this.
  11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Well, I'd certainly hope you'd find enjoyment from it, and, I'd bet you'd wait more than four days before rendering a judgement!

I think (hope?) opinions on a lot of this material will be given clarity after we watch them play these at Solid Sound.

linklinc1 and Zeki like this.
  12. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

@imsjry says, "I totally get it if people wanted the more 'rocking' Wilco. This is certainly is not that and it also isn’t the 'country' record it seemed hyped to be."

@Trag adds, "I think that having marketed this as a country record kind of does it a disservice."

So, I take it that both the fans who have been hoping for the return of "rocking" Wilco and those who have been led to expect a "country" record probably will feel disappointed, at least initially. And that's even without considering the "aging hipsters" in your imagination, who might really like to hear the new "art pop" album the band supposedly has in the can. ("Aging hipsters" = people who hope for a "return to form" more like the band's most acclaimed and popular album.) Wilco apparently has put out an "autumnal" record in the late spring, and not too unlike Tweedy's other projects of late. If you're just hoping that the band getting back into the studio all together would produce a departure from the past decade, I guess you might feel let down on that point, too. Just about everyone has been set up to expect something that hasn't been delivered. Maybe it will grow on some people, but it's fair for people to say that the album doesn't immediately hit the spot. For a lot of people, it may never be the new Wilco that they wanted, maybe partly because it's not the Wilco they thought they had coming.

Alien Ache and Zeki like this.
  13. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I've made points over the past few days about the need to accept where bands are in their current state, as opposed to constantly projecting our own wants and desires onto them. I certainly don't expect bands to issue apologies if the albums don't land anywhere close to where fans were "set up to expect something that wasn't delivered." That's all fan entitlement nonsense, in my opinion.

As fans, sure...we all have our own favorite periods/albums/former band members/whatever, and, like I said earlier this week, that's all part of the joy of fandom, but, that's precisely where it ends.
    How do we gauge expectations? What if my expectation is different from yours, is different from hers, is different from theirs?

They don't make these records in a vacuum. It's a document of their artistic lives. They live and breathe in the world, day to day, as we do, and they also happen to write songs. I'm much more interested in what is inspiring them to continue on, at this point, than trying to understand what the fans on a forum or Reddit thread felt that they were entitled to.

14. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

If Tweedy enunciates clearly, like he does in the two tracks I’ve heard, I’ll be mildly happy.

I’m not much of a straight country fan so if the bulk of the album (as advertised) is in that vein…well, I guess I’ll see if I can ingest that much. If it leans more alt-country, I’ll be happier.

If, despite marketing, it is something else entirely, then I’ll just have to wait and see. And I know I’m not expecting anything like early Wilco. Different band, different dynamic.

palisantrancho likes this.
  15. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

It’s also reasonable to believe that longtime fans of any band can form some immediate opinions based on an early reaction. And yes, those opinions may get turned around with subsequent listens…but not necessarily.

I’ve found little to enjoy in The Whole Love in the years since its release, despite repeated attempts. There are four songs I love, and the rest are pretty forgettable.

As for Cruel Country, in neither delivers on the syrupy production of classic Nashville that I was hoping for (despite the first single and marketing material suggesting this could be the case); nor does it deliver on the weirdness I’ve come to expect from Wilco’s more laid back material, a la Schmilco (LOTS of idiosyncratic touches to be found there).

My biggest gripe about this album — yes, after just one listen — is that there is neither much drama, nor much in the way of ear candy. It’s the most straightforward album they’ve made since AM, at least at first blush. I hope to be proven wrong with repeated listens.

Zeki likes this.
  16. FingerPickin'Triumph

FingerPickin'Triumph Forum Resident

There are endless debates about what is real country music -- I often go to savingcountrymusic.com for their music reviews and suggestions as they tend to look very harshly on contemporary Nashville country radio type stuff.. all this too say - what country is is a hot topic.. Wilco made their country record... After only a couple of listens what I hear is the country folk of the Byrds, the Dead .. the standout track "Many Worlds" with its extended guitars in the second half maybe their most Grateful Dead moment in their catalogue.. I also hear the country/folk of Dylan's "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid".. and the Beach Boys Holland tracks like the "California Songs: Big Sur"..in terms of touching on country and folk elements..

17. haywood

haywood Forum Resident

Since my original post was ridiculously deleted yours will probably go the same way as it quoted mine but my point was that a constant litany of violence in someone’s surroundings surely has some effect on their psyche and they’re not going to be couching that on a per capita basis. Maybe he writes songs the way he does now because it’s part of his environment.

18. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

To me, this sounds like Sky Blue Sky if it went country-rock instead of "dad rock." And I'm falling in love with the songwriting here as much as I did when I first heard SBS. And also like that album, you can tell that all six of them were in a room together recording this. And I love how the synth/organ sounds mesh with the country leanings of the melodies and arrangements.

Also I can understand those that wish the band "rocked out" more on this record, which was also a criticism of SBS. But I think there's room for some of these songs to get amped up in a live setting, and for some of the jams to get even jammier (is that even a word?) in concert, as well. Which makes me so glad I bought a live stream pass for the Cruel Country Solid Sound set.

BRB, getting emotionally slayed to "Story to Tell."

FingerPickin'Triumph and imsjry like this.
  19. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Please just stop. You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about here. Even taking your premise seriously for a second, Chicago is an enormous area and you have no clue where Jeff Tweedy lives within it. A “constant litany of violence”? Is this some weird Fox News talking point?

20. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

The one two punch of “Story to Tell” and “A Lifetime to Find” is the best thing I’ve heard on a Wilco record in a long time. And that’s a tiny part of this plethora of riches. Loving this album more and more with each listen! It’s an incredibly rewarding listening experience for Tweedy lovers.

21. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Is Cruel Country order-able on Amazon - wasn’t able to find it?

Going in cold till the vinyl arrives

22. Alien Ache

I live 2 miles from The Loft where these supposed dystopia-infused songs are recorded and I’ve never seem a violent incident the entire time I’ve lived here.

I’m legitimately curious what lyrics on CC strike you as being about/influenced by witnessing a “constant litany of violence”?

Quincy, imsjry and PhoffiFozz like this.
  23. Alien Ache

“Many Worlds” is my standout from the album for sure.

FingerPickin'Triumph likes this.
  24. GK

GK Forum Resident

Scoured The World Wide Web for a leak. Came up empty…

25. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

I've tried to say exactly this in pretty much every thread I've ever been in, pretty much about every 'band' that's been around a while, but never have been able to say it quite this clearly. Thank you.

IHeartRecordsAz and oneway23 like this.