Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Super Deluxe Edition - 11 LPs/1CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rhino4evr, Apr 19, 2022.

1. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

That's probably it. It took so long to get the album actually released that Jay was gone by the time they were promoting it.

2. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

If these are the demos/working versions/alt takes that have been around for years, most of this set is pre- Jim (really, only the album had Jims input). But a good portions of the material is Jeff trying to his best to write material that would impress Jim. But also its a great insight to see how the band transitioned from Summerteeth/Mermaid Ave to YHF.

Maybe for most people it may be a listen once or twice, think its neat and just feel like they got it right with the regular album (they did). Personally, I love listening to the alternate ways the songs could have gone and play the demos more than the record.

Gonzo-a-gogo and Mr. D like this.
  3. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

I hope that one of the versions of Cars Can't Escape is the piano and voice version. I've always massively preferred that one and would like to see it out there in the world officially.

I wonder what form Venus Stopped The Train is going to be in. Such an amazing song to sit in the can for 20 years.

4. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Probably going to go 8CD over 11LP since they include the same material. Even though this is probably a Top 10 all time album for me, I don't find it necessary to have so many outtakes and live material on vinyl. I have only collected the previous Wilco reissues in Deluxe CD format to go along with the original LPs I already own.

I'm going to sit on this though...if there is one deluxe LP set with outtakes that I might cave for, this might be it.

Super excited for this release.

timnor likes this.
  5. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

Especially when the other options are gold and silver which have always been hit and miss for me as far as SQ/surface noises/static.

6. shades

shades Forum Resident

Does anyone know - are the song versions in the "The Unified Theory of Everything" very different from the actual release?

7. jewelsnbinoculars

jewelsnbinoculars Forum Resident

Gotta get the full box, I think. Not particularly interested in the live show, but the full set of outtakes is too good to pass up. Can't live with the omissions on the 7lp version. I'll be spinning those "building YHF" disks quite often.

Mr. D likes this.
  8. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

WOW.

if the cd's aren't squished to death, i'm going to be a very happy listener come september. and i've studiously avoided listening to ANY boots of this material...

smitquest

9. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Even though I've mostly stopped buying CDs, I may go with the big CD set of this - I wan it all, and the x11 vinyl set is just too big, too much.

10. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I saw that tour in Chicago and it was very strange to see them as a four piece. Leroy played a lot of guitar but it was amazing to get to hear Jeff shredding all those solos.

11. jewelsnbinoculars

I wouldn't call it the same material. The omissions on the 7lp from the YHF outtakes are various, and much of that material is really strong.

Mr. D and linklinc1 like this.
  12. Marcsonic

Marcsonic Forum Resident

This is a great album, though somewhat suffused with darkness for me, as I experienced it at the time. I'm actually more interested in A Ghost Is Born reissue, as AGIB feels more intimate and spare, and somehow suits my sensibilities more.

mpayan, tstrapac and Rainy Taxi like this.
  13. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Yeah, apparently Sue bought Jeff guitar lessons from Richard Lloyd that year and you could hear the Television influence in his solos.

ARK, GregorSamsa, linklinc1 and 2 others like this.
  14. Tim Simmons

I wonder if we are gonna get those 4 Fundamentals compilations with AGIB 20th. I've always been curious about those, especially if Panthers and Bob Dylans Beard came from those sessions.

tstrapac and zipzapzopzoup like this.
  15. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

$110 for the 8-CD set seems like a lot (that's $13.75 per CD), no?

frightwigwam likes this.
  16. Marcsonic

Marcsonic Forum Resident

I love Jeff's solos! Reminds me of Robert Quine as well.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I like the album but would probably listen to all that maybe one time. In for the vinyl though.

ARAMP1 and bmh5879 like this.
  18. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Went with the 11lp set on black vinyl through the Nonesuch store. Hoping for slightly higher quality control and quieter vinyl on the black vinyl set but maybe I'll regret not springing for the color vinyl. This is one of my favorite albums and an incredible sounding recording. High hopes.

jewelsnbinoculars likes this.
  19. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

If you have patience I am sure we'll be able to grab it around $70-80 at some point. I know the previous deluxe reissues dropped on various sites by at least 30% not long after their release dates.

ARK, GuidedByJonO))) and AlienRendel like this.
  20. bmh5879

bmh5879 Forum Resident

The 8CD and 11LP+1CD set are not the same exact material? Maybe I am overlooking something but I am counting 102 tracks on each.

linklinc1 likes this.
  21. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Yes--i see Being There is still available black vinyl--i almost picked that up too. My colored copy is a wreck---2 of the 8 sides are atrocious.

22. jewelsnbinoculars

my mistake, thought you were comparing the 7lp and 11lp.

linklinc1 likes this.
  23. Tim Simmons

I'd love for them to clarify if the 7LP contains the Sound Opinions show on vinyl. it seesm that way from the desciption.

But if the 11 LP set has 2 LPs for each outtakes/demos and one of those sets is in the 7LP version (plus the 5 LPs for the album and the live show), where do the live tracks from Sound Opinions fit in? The DL?

24. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Not to derail the thread but do we know if Jeff Tweedy participated in any way to that documentary?

25. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

I got the colored 7 LP version but now I’m wondering if I should have just gotten black for the sound quality.

BTW, this album came out while I was in Army basic training. I couldn’t wait to finish basic mainly to see my wife and dog bit because I wanted to hear their new record so badly. It was the first album I listened to as soon as I got in the car with my wife so it has held a special place in my life. I’m retiring from the Army in July and this comes out in Sept.