Will Apple Release The Get Back Album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by saborlord123, Jan 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Okay, maybe I got carried away, but I listened to the album recently and that’s what hit me, especially in the context of 1970. Let it Be is also a song that was covered by a lot of R&B artists, maybe because of its gospel overtones.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  2. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

I can see the title “Let It Be” on that image

forthlin likes this.
  3. Detroit Rock Citizen

Detroit Rock Citizen RetroDawg Digital

Referring to the different digital versions of Rubber Soul. The original mixes of Rubber Soul didn't appear worldwide until 2009. From what I understand the stereo came out on a Canadian CD in 1986.

4. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I see you're obcessed with the subject :cop:

5. tug_of_war

Give me Naked instead of the original Let It Be anyday.

6. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Not true. Paul has stated in interviews that he really liked the Glyn Johns mixes and wanted it to go out. Not sure which one he liked best. Also don't know which other Beatle disagreed with him. Pretty sure John was not into it, but George and Ringo? Anyone know? But Paul at least thought it was good and gave it the thumbs up. :agree:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  7. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Those boys sure could play - never get tired of those tracks.

A comprehensive release with all of them sure would be nice.

kt66brooklyn and 2141 like this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The song "Let It Be" was sent by Paul to Aretha Franklin (via Jerry Wexler) sometime during 1969, and her version was released in January 1970 (on the This Girl's In Love With You album) even before the Beatles version (released as a 45 single in March 1970).

9. Cristiano Cortellazzi

Cristiano Cortellazzi Forum Resident

I’m for a Best Of the GJ early mixes.

10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

You had great points, and to make clear my post was not suggesting that Spector's version does not contain soul elements.

It was just a reference to my personal dislike of Spector's brass, strings, etc. Let It Be itself is definitely soulful.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    TeddyB likes this.
  11. Dodgytc

Dodgytc Forum Resident

As long as I get a nice 12 x 12 copy of the original Get Back artwork, I don't care what is in the grooves.
    Have resisted buying one of those bootleg "fantasy covers" for long enough because I am hoping for an official version.

TC

12. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

Ringo would not care less. Harrison had no time for McCartney after the abuse he suffered at his hands. Lennon would disagree with McCartney just be perverse(and vice versa)

13. Frank Irons

Frank Irons Forum Resident

Hey, it actually is going to happen!

14. saborlord123

saborlord123 "I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." Thread Starter

They call me a time traveler ;)

15. linklinc

linklinc Forum Resident

This!
    Know they are historical & all, but...
    ... to me, the Johns versions are so sub-par that even with today's announcement... I still voted for "Who Cares"...
    ... but I am glad for those who do...

tug_of_war likes this.
  16. tug_of_war

Now that it is happening, I voted for "who cares" for no reason.

saborlord123 and linklinc like this.
  17. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I wasn't sure they'd do it, but clearly it's happening. And the EP will also include the 1970 mixes of "I Me Mine" and "Across the Universe," so you can retrofit the 1969 version into the 1970 version by swapping in those tracks in place of "Teddy Boy."

tug_of_war likes this.
  18. tug_of_war

The version of "Don't Let Me Down" they just released is subtitled "first rooftop performance" - can I rest assured that this means that the whole rooftop performance is featured in this set?
    Pardon me if it widely known already. I just woke up from coma... :rolleyes:

19. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

20. edrebber

edrebber Forum Resident

I tried to use the Two Virgins cover as my avatar, but I was notified that it was not permitted.

21. babyblue

babyblue Patches Pal!

I voted Who Cares since I'm really not all that excited over the Let It Be box. I can't imagine the album remix will sound that much better (probably boosted bass and vocals), and I've lived with the Glyn Johns mix and outtakes for so long already that I can't see listening to the set all that much.

22. Frank Irons

Frank Irons Forum Resident

The Peter Jackson documentary will include the full rooftop concert, but the performance of "Don't Let Me Down" is all that's new to the box set. I assume this is because the version on Naked used elements of both performances, so the one on the box set is an actual "live" (i.e. one-take) version of the song. Alongside "One After 909", "Dig a Pony", and "I've Got a Feeling" from the original Let It Be and the version of "Get Back" on Anthology 3, we'll now have one full performance of each song from the rooftop on a listening format. Here's the full tracklist for the box set:
    [​IMG]

SJB and tug_of_war like this.
  23. tug_of_war

Wow!!!! Thank you!

24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Susie's Parlour would have been nice, if they're pulling mono recordings off the Nagra tapes, but I'm definitely going to get this set.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.