Will CD players production be discontinued?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sear, Sep 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

Don't have to go to the home of CD, I can rent them here in Belgium in libraries (for free) :righton:.
    Which reminds me...I need to turn in my 20 cd's of previous month and get me 20 new cd's - who needs streaming :laugh:?!!

F1nut, The Pinhead and The Beave like this.
  2. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I am growing them on trees.

timind likes this.
  3. D700

D700 Just Add Scotch

In the process of oxidation, it destroys the information on the disc.

How Long Do CDs Last? It Depends, But Definitely Not Forever

Man at C&A and MGW like this.
  4. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

Maybe not super high end but a very good CDP like the Marantz CD6006/6007 is what, $500-600? Get two, store one.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I purchased a CD not 12 hours ago !

fogalu and F1nut like this.
  6. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I purchased a box set of 9 CDs and 2 DVDs yesterday.
    They'll all be ripped. And I'll only ever listen to the ripped versions of those discs. But I'll keep the box set and discs stored away with the rest of my collection of physical discs.

The Pinhead likes this.
  7. The Pinhead

I never ripped mine. Nothing to be proud of, I know, but I'm too old school and prefer to play them. I do have 140 CD tiles on Flac stored on external HDDs, and play them from USB sticks I plug into my Oppo. But I don't own physical copies of those CDs, just the files. Don't ask:shh::D

Audiowannabee likes this.
  8. L.P.

L.P. Forum Resident

I guess the Japanese will continue to make them because in their wisdom they are still honoring this superior format of recorded music.
    And there will be cheap Chinese ones on Aliexpress for a long time. Maybe even not so cheap ones.
    This and the five dedicated CD-players I have (not counting BR/DVD and CD-Rom drives) should get me over the next decades.

If all else fails I'll have to aquire skills with the soldering iron.

basie-fan, ATSMUSIC and Giobacco like this.
  9. Vignus

Vignus Digital Vinylist

How old are you?

10. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

L.P. likes this.
  11. The Pinhead

Don't worry. They said the same about vinyl, and look what happened.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

You were made to feel like an absolute dinosaur still buying vinyl in the mid 90s. I was only in my late teens / early 20s!

scobb and clhboa like this.
  13. The Pinhead

I feel you bro; I was able to rebiuld my stolen Lp collection during the 90s. No one wanted vinyl anymore; usually paid a 10th of the cost of the CD counterpart.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Good stuff! Having a collection stolen must be hell. I built a lot of my collection up in the 1990s - around 2010 very cheap. Mostly excellent condition original pressings too. I miss those days!

rednedtugent and The Pinhead like this.
  15. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

Now you're made to feel like an absolute dinosaur if you buy CDs. "Funny old game" as Jimmy Hill used to say.

scobb, WDeranged and Man at C&A like this.
  16. Sear

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, and I still buy loads of them. 15 yesterday for £3! Not crap ones either. I still love them. The trick to have a great and massive music collection is going for the format barely anyone currently wants and are getting rid of in droves.

Spokeless likes this.
  18. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Not in our lifetimes.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. Sear

15 for 3£? If I'm lucky, I can find 1 for 3£

scobb likes this.
  20. norliss

norliss Forum Resident

No - your CDs will destroy YOU if you're not careful. So best knock up a list and I'll tell the most dangerous ones, which you can send to me for safe disposal :)

21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

In a charity shop that sells them 5 for £1. An Al Green double best of, Ray Charles double best of, Primal Scream, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Grandaddy, Guns N' Roses Appetite For Destruction, Cypress Hill Black Sunday and another double by them, Beck - Sea Change, Bill Monroe, Carter Family & Adam and the Ants.

rednedtugent likes this.
  22. The Pinhead

TBH I went away on a 2-month summer vacation an a friend borrowed my collection. Someone emptied his house while he was at work. Guy had money, so I told him to replace my titles at least at a one-title-a-month rate. He refused, claiming that if it had been the other way around, he wouldn't have asked me to replace the stolen Lps. Yeah right. With friends like that.................:cry: A collection that took me a long time and quite some money to build up; had to survive on a strict cassette diet for the next ten years. All of my friends let me tape their vinyl in solidarity, even ringing me up whenever they purchased a new title. FFS I even sold my TT !:realmad: I bought a way better one in '95 though, which is still running strong.

23. Sear

Of those, I would have gladly pick the Al Green and Ray Charles

Man at C&A likes this.
  24. The Pinhead

The ways of the market. Not me man !

25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Was most pleased with the Al Green, already had the Ray, but it's in better condition. I haven't heard Sea Change by Beck but have often read it's one of his best. Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump is a fantastic album, but I might sell my vinyl as it goes for around £100, same with Yeah Yeah Yeahs, not a favourite but I might sell my LP. Adam and the Ants are great! Bill Monroe is bluegrass at it's best. Cypress Hill Black Sunday is a nostalgia trip, the other one - Skull and Bones, I have no enthusiasm for, but it was there to make up the offer.

Sear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.