Will CD players production be discontinued?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sear, Sep 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

If anybody actually is worried about CD player options/availability in the future... just rip your favorites to lossless files. No sound quality is lost, and DACs will be around for longer than optical drives, most likely.

2. Horace Wimp

Horace Wimp The 39,891st Beatle

Not anytime soon. There is still huge money in the deluxe and super deluxe editions of albums that are constantly rolled out.

D-rock and Sear like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I don't think there's any need to worry. I bought a reasonably priced good new cassette player just the other day and you'd have thought there's nothing more passe that cassettes.

CDs will be the new retro chic within the blink of an eye.

4. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I kind of thought they already were. I've had trouble finding one and the few that are available seem to be of cheap quality.

5. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Physical media is still huge in Japan. They will continue to make CD players there.

6. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Seems like their are still companies putting out new CD players today. When i bought my last player supposedly I needed to get it quick because they were not going to be made anymore. I get notices in my news feed of new cool players still. Not dead yet.

7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Someone will continue making them, repairing them, reselling them. I'm not worried.

8. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

Quite the opposite. There are now an insane number of incredibly high-end CD players on the market.

Assassin Yassassin and Sear like this.
  9. Amnion

Amnion Forum Occupant

Lol. And a favourite my "drinker" jokes;

Sign outside a bar says "All the beer you can drink for $1!" Guy goes in and says
    "Gimme $2 worth".

Technocentral, TimB and forthlin like this.
  10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Good luck finding a single disc player at a reasonable price. I use a DVD player now but I don't really like it.

11. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

This sort of comment isn’t helpful and shows a complete lack of understanding of some of the attractions to physical media! I get it that you may not understand or care about physical medea but why feel the need to post in a thread about CD players?

tumpux, Bobocryce, F1nut and 2 others like this.
  12. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

You can buy decent equipment to play 78 rpm records, a format discarded 50 years ago and never resurrected. So if they stop producing cds you probably have at least 50 years left.

Brother_Rael and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  13. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  14. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

The last few CD players I’ve bought have been fairly high end models. Just had a quick glance on Amazon and there are a handful of budget models on there, so there’s reason to worry immediately.

I will say some of the CD players I’ve bought over the last 10 years have developed issues that earlier models never did. I don’t like that at all.

But I’d recommend Denon as a brand. Every CD player I’ve bought from them has been fantastic.

jmadad and Gramps Tom like this.
  15. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Yes, I see there are still plenty of CD box sets released!

Horace Wimp likes this.
  16. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

How is it not helpful? When you extract the file from the CD and "play" it as a lossless file, THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Furthermore, if a fear of the loss of affordable CD players is the difference between hearing your music (because you backed the files up to a computer) or not being able to hear it (because you didn't, and your CD player broke and now it can't be cost-effectively replaced), then ripping the files seems like not only good advice, but pertinent advice to the thread. You can still look at the CD case and artwork while this is happening, if you did it before.

The thread is literally about the potential loss of CD players so why not mention the alternate way of playing the files?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Schiit Audio, right here in the USA, is developing a new CD transport. The DAC market seems to be booming. I don't think fans of the format have anything to worry about.

Dred, The Beave, siebrand and 6 others like this.
  18. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

All products that cease to sell get discontinued.

Fortunately there are zillions of 'em out there. You'll be able to find one for the next 100 years.

siebrand likes this.
  19. Simoon

Simoon Forum Resident

As others have said, there will probably always be universal players available.

And the high end market will always have costlier, but better, options for years to come.

It might be hard to find mid level products, though.

siebrand and Joy-of-radio like this.
  20. mrbiggs

mrbiggs Empires and Pants

I’ve probably bought 10-15 optical drives over the years in one form or another, and at the low end of the market (for PCs and such) the quality of the hardware used in the transports is getting worse and worse. I’ve a USB DVD writer that I use to rip CDs and whilst it works OK the thing is so flimsy, one drop and it’d either shatter into pieces or be so misaligned it’d be useless.

The oldest proper CD player I have is a 23-year-old JVC. The laser is dying, and it can’t play CDs it used to happily play 10 years ago. It really struggles with CDRs too. Maybe it could be repaired and be as good as new, but I can’t be bothered.

21. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

I buy mostly vinyl, but I still buy some CDs new and used

carlwm likes this.
  22. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

It's really good advice actually, especially as you get older and all of a sudden you have 1800 CDs in your garage like me.
    Besides it's instant access to all those songs.

punkmusick, subzro, Marcev and 2 others like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Way too logical for this crowd. :laugh:

subzro, Marcev and vconsumer like this.
  24. Nogoodnik

Nogoodnik Celebrity Jeopardy and Mini Crossword smart

I think it’s a perfectly reasonable and helpful comment. I prefer physical media, and I have all my CDs and blu-ray audio extracted to lossless files.

punkmusick and vconsumer like this.
  25. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

NAD C538 CD Player in Graphite

ATSMUSIC and Joy-of-radio like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.