Will CD players production be discontinued?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Sear, Sep 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

The truth is, I like CDs. They are convenient, I like the sound (when they aren't over compressed), the booklets...
    I'd like to keep playing em until the end of my days

John B Good, Dred, StimpyWan and 4 others like this.
  2. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

3. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

Also, it wasn't a swipe at physical media - playing back one's own CDs on a computer is not the same as selling them/giving the away and then going with streaming. It's another way of hearing your own CD collection.

Tullman and Big Blue like this.
  4. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I’ve always wondered why the electronics industry feels they are improving technology by eliminating all popular listening formats. CDs were popular for a reason: they sounded good and they were easy to store. Yet it was just a matter of time before they were completely removed from stores. Same with iPods. Great way to listen to music but they were eliminated at the height of their popularity.

Soon every listening format will be completely eliminated and we will all say that it’s just the way technology improves upon itself

John B Good, jmadad, kings81 and 2 others like this.
  5. JamesRR

JamesRR Trashcan Dream

So? Many products are delayed now due to microchip shortages. Doesn't mean they're non-existent.

patient_ot likes this.
  6. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

That's not the reason iPods were removed. The iPod peripheral/cables/connectors were becoming very difficult to source as the serial port into the iPod was unique and not used for any other devices ; the manufacturer they were using upped the prices until it become uneconomical as the iPod sales diminished. They absolutely weren't at the height of their popularity.

Bruno Republic likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Shows how much I keep up with the latest technology news. I had no idea I-Pods had bitten the dust.

Sear likes this.
  8. Sear

I've never used this

siebrand and carlwm like this.
  9. Cryptical17

Cryptical17 Forum Resident

I loved my iPod classic. Still have it though the battery is probably wearing down.

markreed likes this.
  10. Sear

I went from walkman to discman and I stopped there

soundboy, Pouchkine and carlwm like this.
  11. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Same here. :)

12. Sear

I'm a premature old man

siebrand and carlwm like this.
  13. scobb

scobb Forum Resident

And again you show a complete lack of understanding of physical media as you focus on sound and "affordability". Some people prefer reading a book and some people are happy reading a computer screen do you feel the need to patronise the person that prefers a book?

Your comment is as relevant as if someone were to ask you to help them choose a car and you reply "You don't need a car? Just take taxis!".

I'm not saying you're not right and if the question was "What to do once CD players are no longer made?" your answer is highly relevant, however, the question was/is "Will CD players production be discontinued?" and your reply shows a lack of relevancy and understanding to the point of thread crapping! I could say "who cares about CD players, go and see the band live".... is this helpful?!

siebrand and fogalu like this.
  14. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

We are toast. Rip to FLAC now!

15. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Never really got my head round the idea of music "on the go".

I like to be in tune with my environment when I'm out of the house.

billnunan and Sear like this.
  16. Sear

I have my discman on the bedside table, I use it for my bedtime music listening

carlwm likes this.
  17. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah, I've been an old fart since my teens, too. Don't even own a portable phone. :)

Sear likes this.
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I had this concern with Portable CD Players. When I started to see a reduction in the quality of Portable CD Players I decided to buy a few of the remaining good CD/MP3 players just in case and it turned out that I was right at that time. About a year later the players I could see on the racks didn't appear to be that good.

However, I've noticed that a few better CD/MP3 Players have appeared on the market. I recently purchased a HOTT 625 CD/MP3 player and it is a very nice player that also uses AA batteries.

I think a factor in the popularity of the iPod was that with the iPod Classic it was the only high-capacity digital audio player out there. You wanted a player that could hold over 128gb...you had to get an iPod Classic. That was my main reason for purchasing one and I did so literally about a week before it was announced they were going to stop making the iPod Classic.

However, one factor that worked against the iPod Classic was the increasing capacity of memory cards. Soon, you could buy affordable MicroSD cards that would allow to exceed the capacity of the iPod Classic (160gb). I have a Sony NWZ-A17 Walkman with 64gb of storage, combine that with a 128gb MicroSD card and you would have 192gb of storage (though some of that storage would be used by the OS). With my current Walkman (NW-A55) I have 144gb of storage.

Big Blue, Cryptical17 and carlwm like this.
  19. BruceS

BruceS El Sirviente del Gato

I'm feeling like most of us will be "discontinued" ere CDPs are.

Dred, Anthrax, siebrand and 2 others like this.
  20. markreed

markreed Forum Resident

I adored mine, but when it died I went for a XDP-100 with 2 x microSD slots in, and never looked back.

Cryptical17 likes this.
  21. thehatandbeard

thehatandbeard Forum Resident

The iPod touch is still available, I bought one this year.

Big Blue, Cryptical17 and carlwm like this.
  22. farfetched

farfetched Well-Known Member

I would not worry at all. When vinyl had its great (temporary) passing, well, that was the end of the direct drive era. To do DD well, you need machining, big time, and so you need units sold. This is the real reason why belt-drive ascended. Any tinkerer can make a belt drive. But you need an industrial level production scale to have making a DD be at all financially feasible.

As long as there are cd's, there will be players. They likely will involve some budget-dictated design feature that will be called a "vast improvement" over whatever is the mass production equivalent of the direct drive TT motor -- if cd players even have such a device, I do not know.

carlwm likes this.
  23. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

The Mark Twain of mobile devices! :D

24. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

The file you extract from a CD and put on a computer is the exact same file as on the CD. So whether you are playing it in a CD player or playing the FLAC on a computer, it's playing the same physical media. Your bungled "take a taxi" analogy might work if I was suggesting streaming, but I'm not.

If anybody is threadcrapping here, at this point, it's you.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    subzro likes this.
  25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I have a 25 disc file-type player that has worked flawlessly for 20 years. Also have a spare player. Hopefully they will be around as long as I am. If they are ever in jeopardy and we can organize a march, I will be there. Lasers for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.