Will digitally mastered vinyl become expensive in the future?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diorama, Dec 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I assume we aren't talking about the 20 or so dollars for your typical modern release. More like the three figures some of these OOP LP's now go for.

Btw, and I've written this before but the inflation calculator does not really work in this situation. When you have lossy downloads going for $10 and CD's not much more than that, a $32.00 LP is a premium cost. CD's themselves have actually dropped in price since the 1990's.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  2. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

Neonbeam and zombiemodernist like this.
  3. zombiemodernist

zombiemodernist Forum Resident

I was thinking of this one in particular. Supposedly the pressing is pretty dodgy as well, but look at those prices... one of the best albums of 2016 available for one day only.

SoundDoctor likes this.
  4. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

It is in context with the OP as he is talking about vinyl not CDs.
    You can also buy records for $1.....dig hard and you can find gems.
    Nobody wants CDs because the better option is digital downloads at 24 bit vs a Redbook 16bit.....so makes sense they are cheap.

pudgym likes this.
  5. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Huh? You just made me look and it's one of the last five or six Simply Vinyl albums I didn't get rid of. So this is now a collectable?
    "Gran Tourismo" by the Cardigans. A completely digital recording. Yet all three pressings rarely fetch less than 200$. Let's see what will happen once the reissue is readily available but those crazy - and probably inflated - prices for albums from the last 25 years were mostly not paid by audiophiles. But by collectors or people who feel their live isn't worthwhile without that album on 12" vinyl. :evil:

SoundDoctor likes this.
  6. Christer

Christer Can You Hear The Music?

Some questions you can ask:

Is the original recording analog (made on analog equipment) or digital?
    Is there an original analog master tape still in good condition?
    Has the analog recording/master tape been transferred to digital format?

Let’s face it, many artists recordings that were made analog have now been tranferred to digital format. One example, the new LP releases of the Rolling Stones early recordings were not mastered from analog tapes but from digital copies of the original analog tapes.

This is usually done because the tapes which were used for the original recordings may deteriorate!

Will there be a problem in the future to make vinyl records as long as the recordings are in good shape and as long as you have equipment to make vinyl records?
    I don’t think so!

7. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

:bigeek:

Starting to think I should lock my copy in a vault. Maybe one day I can sell it for big bucks, and then buy myself a boat and...

... no, that would be wrong *repeats to self "records are for listenin', not for speculatin', records are for listenin' not for speculatin'".

SoundDoctor likes this.
  8. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.