Will Oppo universal players become collector items?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Sep 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Yes. See also Marantz, Cambridge, Yamaha and other companies that offer an on-board DAC with connectivity for other devices in their players. Although even in time, they'll be outdated as functions and formats change.

I'd personally not want a disc player taking up space if it's unable to play discs but that's less of a problem if it's a stop gap, temporary solution.

2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not just other devices, but more of the various file types. That is where we find ourselves with Oppos.

While space is certainly an issue were I live. Having an additional system out in garage, in bedroom, or in the man cave is becoming more common. The Oppo without a spinner is a perfect processer decoder for that other system. The Oppo with a 1974 Marantz or Sansui amp/receiver, a couple pairs mix-matched Pioneer / Sony speakers - and you could be in quadraphonic heaven with some ripped AF SACDs on a thumb drive. Present tech meets vintage gear = something close to audio nirvana.

Yeah, vs the price of a stand alone multichannel DAC, ......?

Audiowannabee and Brother_Rael like this.
  3. Brother_Rael

Yup, totally. Thankfully, a number of the other manufacturers also offer multiple formats too. SACD/DSD, flac, WAV, and the rest. Great times to be in audio regardless of manufacturer I think.

4. Dave112

Dave112 Forum Resident

I had an interest in buying an Oppo because I have some SACDs and DVD audio discs. Sad that they are going away. I remember though that in the early 90's a lot of folks were saying to buy up turntables because they weren't going to make them any more. New turntables didn't go away and I suspect new disc players will not go away. There are probably trillions of CDs and as many DVDs and Blu-rays out there. Streaming and downloading music is here to stay but so is physical media. Where there is a demand, the free market usually tries to meet it.

Tullman and Audiowannabee like this.
  5. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Question...so if my oppo 203 lazer dies can i just use my hdmi input w another player/transport and get it to play thru the hdmi with music out of its analogue dac??

Atleast thats what i understand...am i correct?

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

VERY likely, but it depends on what format you are feeding the Oppo via HDMI. I can imagine an odd sampling rate, or some hic-up could occur. But for most, yes you would be back in business.

7. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Thanks that's what i thought

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That's kind of the problem, isn't it. In addition to the typical parts failing, the changing specifications on media will eventually make them not forward compatible. I have a BDP-83 and already have encountered numerous movies it will not play and it's only going to get worse until I abandon physical video all together.

9. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Nah...they will all end up in the landfill after something "better" comes along.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. Brother_Rael

I don't know about landfill, but you look at some killer universal players from 2008 (Arcam DVD139 springs to mind) and must folk wouldn't have the first idea today. Great used buy for those in the know though.

11. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'm more concerned with my parts failing than any of my disc players :D. It's expected to have failures with audio and video gear. Some brands are more dependable than others. It's best to try to buy components from companies that have the best dependability. Once you do that just hope for the best. I'm not going to lose any sleep over whether one of my Oppo players fail for any reason.

12. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That's weird. I have an OPPO 80 and have never had any problems playing video discs. Maybe, I'm just lucky?

The Beave likes this.
  13. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

No, their built THAT WELL!
    Oh yeah, there are going to be defects here and there but for the most part, these are built extremely well
    Beave

14. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I doubt that we’ll see multi channel players with the quality of the 205’s analog output.

15. Brother_Rael

They already exist and more will follow.

16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

They’ll wind up as the next Nakamichi. Looked upon fondly with a die hard fan base.

cdash99 and zoomin like this.
  17. The Beave

Don't think so there COWBOY.
    OPPO hasn't cheapend their brand or rep the way Nak did. You are either an OPPO HATER, a TROLL, or your REALLY ignorant..........
    Ill say all three. :D
    Beave

18. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I believe ti-triodes was referring to original components from Nakamichi. I owned a 680ZX and in a way wish I hadn't sold it. It wouldn't be getting much use but it was an excellent cassette player and was pretty cool looking :).

ti-triodes likes this.
  19. The Beave

Then my apologies if that's the case, beautiful deck btw, you shouldn't have sold it Bill!
    But Nak did cheapen their line, which was sad to see. OPPO is doing something very few companies have done. And without cheapening their brand.....The 205 IS a REFERENCE deck that has no equal.
    Period.
    Beave

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I thought it had to do with it being unable to read certain Blu-Ray content that had been developed subsequent to Oppo no longer supporting the 83 with updates.

21. Ogre

Ogre Active Member

I'm ticked i didn't buy one of these on Amazon earlier in the year. Not sure if there is anything that has the combination of build quality and specs for the price.

The Beave likes this.
  22. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

The notion of a blu-ray player being a collector's item is hilarious. Most of the media it plays is for the most part dead or on life support, which is why Oppo is throwing in the towel. They are fine universal playing machines for us weirdos still spinning discs, but collector items they ain't. They are disc players assembled in China, not grandma's heirlooms. Let's get a grip on reality. I know that might be a tough proposition for some people who still think SACD is thriving.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  23. The Beave

From Webster's:
    Definition, Collectors Item:

an item whose rarity or excellence makes it especially worth collecting; broadly : collectible.

You can laugh all you want, but your wrong. Highly Sought After, rare now that their out of production, yeah, they fit the description...........
    Beave

Ogre likes this.
  24. Sam

Sam Senior Member

Yes!!! In fact, I can sell you mine for $5000! After all, it's now a "collector's item." lol.

Seriously though, it's just a darn good CD player that will be phased out in time. Other than vinyl, no one seems to want physical media around anymore. Now vinyl, well, that's a horse of different color. NOTHING matches the sound in my house like vinyl. Which is why vinyl has undergone a resurgence. People actually listened with their ears. Still can't match that sound with streaming.

25. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I have 3 Oppos; 2 DVD players, 1 Blu Ray.
    I honestly don't care about the 4K player.
    I'm not supporting that format for physical media.

The Beave likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.