Will Oppo universal players become collector items?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Sep 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have two UDP-203's for movies and to use as a transport for CD's. I have my BDP-103 as a back-up and I have a spare CD player.

That gives me a safety net that I can use in case of equipment failure.

Then I time to buy other used or new equipment, this gives me breathing space and more options.

2. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

5 Nakamichi’s- Dragon, CR-7A, RX-505, 680ZX, RX-303
    7 OPPO’s

Yeah, I feel really dumb. :rolleyes:

Bill Mac likes this.
  3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Cool! Do you still have all the Nakamichi players? I don't think you're dumb at all! Awesome collection of classic and well regarded cassette players.

MikeJedi and The Beave like this.
  4. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

Well if I had $5000 I still wouldn't because I can get a new one now for $3000! :D
    But seriously, I agree with you on the vinyl. Digital will never be able to audibly match a top notch analog system. But here we go, is there any other future media that can realistically clone what is recorded on analog tape? Digital can't do it by definition, can come very close but can't get away from 'sample steps' which analog, by its very nature, does not have.
    So how about somebody invent analog fiber optic audio??
    There, there is your next billion dollar idea!
    Courtesy of the beave!
    Beave

5. The Beave

Sorry man!, :oops: but why the OPPO diss??
    Your post was kinda really negative on the whole thing.
    But nonetheless, sorry, especially since I've got one more OPPO to buy and then I'll be right there with you.

Now..........tell me about your cassette interest, 5 decks is pretty hard core, are you a musico?
    Beave

6. Ogre

Ogre Active Member

High end (i.e. Pioneer elite) laserdisc players often sell for $500-700 on ebay. They stopped making discs 20 years ago and most of the hardware is just as old if not older.

PhantomStranger and The Beave like this.
  7. SandAndGlass

There are collectors out there that have sizable investments in their Laserdisk collection's and need working players to make use of them.

I had one, it was a huge step forward over VHS tapes visually and there was no comparison to the terrible pre high-fidelity audio of the original mono cassettes.

By far, most people have just abandoned old video formats (and most obsolete audio formats).

8. JackG

JackG Forum Resident

I like digital, but it's not really collectible.

9. The Beave

I've had my used 103 for about a month now and I really like it. Like others in not doing 4K so the upscaling is perfect for me. Nice unit. And I've noticed in the past month even they are creeping back up to their !its price on the bay!
    Amazkng.
    Beave

SandAndGlass likes this.
  10. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

I bought one of these.
    Sony UBPX700 (Black)
    Great value for money if it goes wrong after a few yeas not a problem.
    Gave away my Panasonic DVD recorder after over 14 years heavy use and it's still going strong.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  11. SandAndGlass

I'm not sure if the new 4k UDP-203 has improved the picture on the 4k TV or not, when using DVD's or Blu-ray disks. The Emotiva processor is also 4k and I don't know what it contributes, it was bought earlier this year, same with the 203.

Last summer, I upgraded my old 60" DLP rear projection TV to a 65" Samsung 4K LED TV. At that time, I still had my old Emotiva 1080P processor, the UMC-1 and my old Oppo BPB-93 player.

I could put a standard DVD into the Oppo and the TV would upscale it up to 4K, with the best picture quality that I have ever had in my home.

Now I have a complete 4k chain, from the player to the TV. I continue to watch DVD's & Blu-rays. I don't have any particular interest in 4k source material (as of yet), I don't stream and the DVD's and Blu-ray's play fine for me.

Only a little more than a month ago, I bought my first 4k Blu-ray disk, Across the Universe, and I saw nothing good about it, it fact, it did not look as good as the DVD I have (thanks to the TV's upscaling). In fact, I was having trouble playing the disk, even though I have used the cable that was supplied by Oppo and a 2nd 4k certified cable from Amazon Basics.

We have a store that sells used books and records. They have used DVD's and Blu-R-ray disks that they sell for $2.50 each, once a month, they are on sale for $2.00.

I'm with you. I am more than fine buying used media, it looks great upscalled to 4k. Also, Blu-ray's and DVD's are really inexpensive right now, for newer released movies.

12. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Settle down there, Beave.

13. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I sold the 680ZX in the early 90's to buy a potbelly pig. Porsche was with us for over 16 years and she had a good life :).

The 205 is an excellent player which I'm glad to own. But to say the 205 "IS a REFERENCE deck that has no equal" is a bit over the top ;).

ti-triodes likes this.
  14. The Beave

But Bill.....over the top is what I do! :D

And speaking of being fair, I posted a link on the other thread for the Pioneer BDP-88FD for $1199, no response whatsoever..........

So yeah, over the top is what I do.
    Beave

15. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Yeah, I still have them. Everyone in great working order except the Dragon. The NAAC azimuth calibration needs servicing. They’re like my children, along with the OPPO’s. :D

Apology accepted. Anyone that knows me around here is aware I’m an OPPO freak. But that doesn’t mean they don’t get criticized if they deserve it. BTW, when they released the 20x series of players they knew they were going to pull the plug on them. They admitted it. If you think about it, they pretty much used us to help them offset the development costs. If they didn’t have such a devoted fanbase, they’d get a lot more grief for it than they have.

30 years ago Nakamichi was the OPPO of it’s time. If you wanted the best, you either got a Nak or wished you had one. The name has long been sold off like a lot of legendary brands. It has nothing to do with the current lo-fi products the name is associated with today.

Guss2 and Bill Mac like this.
  16. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

:laughup:

I never thought I’d associate a Nak with a pig. :D

Bill Mac and The Beave like this.
  17. The Beave

Yeah, it's sad what has happened to a lot of the greats from times past. Funny we call it progress. But I have to say it again, especially in regard s to Chinese made gear, specifically from OPPO and EMOTIVA, years ago I never would have thought myself owning these brands, but specifically these two have proven, and allowed me to own gear that would be way out of my reach otherwise. The EMOTIVA is the best 2channel amp I've ever owned, when So many others puked on driving my Mirage OMD28'S, THIS amp just makes like it's no big deal. And the real funny thing is that i got their cheapest one!
    So what, Carver, Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo and Denon couldn't do, this affordable guy does with ease.
    And I am really happy I finally GOT what you and others here have known about OPPO before it was too late.
    Again, I've had a lot of $1k level players and nothing sounds as analog and 'right' as this 205, for my modest system it is truly reference for me.
    And thanks for accepting my apology, sometimes I'm just a dick.
    Beave

SandAndGlass and ti-triodes like this.
  18. The Beave

Love is sometimes blind.......just ask my Wife!
    Beave

ti-triodes likes this.
  19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

It is an odd pairing for sure ;).

ti-triodes likes this.
  20. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I did not know that the first statement you made was true; but I agree with your second statement. They should have been criticized more.

ti-triodes likes this.
  21. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

Collectors item, I don’t know.Maybe if service and parts are available in years to come. Regarded like Nak decks? Should I box up my 83se that was recently serviced by Oppo?

22. SandAndGlass

I totally agree with you. I love my Emotiva gear. I use it for both HT, with an Emotiva 4k procesor and XPA-1 center channel amp. and for my front mains for both stereo and HT. I have a small 50-Watt Emotiva for my rear channels which I use for both HT and stereo.

My front mains are powered by their "made in China" XPA-2, generation I, which I would never part with. Currently it is running a pair of Polk Audio LSiM707's and the pairing is exceptional (this is coming from a tube amp kind of guy), but the sound of these paired together is perfect.

I use a Oppo UDP-203 because it replaced my older BDP-93. Both fit under the TV. For CD's I use it as a transport onto a Peachtree iNova that also has an ESS Saber DAC, abet an older one, but it still sounds good to me.

[​IMG]

The Beave likes this.
  23. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Not to me.

Every year I play less and less physical medium.

Streaming is the future for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.